Dizzy during squats

Options
I am running SL 5x5. About 6 weeks in. I squat 135 pounds at the moment. (Female 5'10", 190 pounds, eating in a deficit). I get about 3 squats in the 2nd or 3rd set and get dizzy, light headed, vision starts to fade out. Happens as I stand up. Takes a bit to clear and then I continue the next few reps in the set. It then happens again the follow sets. Anyone have experience/advice? Am I breathing wrong? Is this normal?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you holding your breath?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I think it is blood pressure related. Blood rushes to the legs when squatting. I get this as well. At the top of the squat, I take a few deep breaths, then one large one and brace my abs (preparation as if someone is going to punch my stomach). After I am out of the "hole" or bottom of the squat, I slowly let my air out. This has minimized the feeling for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Could be any number of things. Could be a vasovagal response even. There's a vagus nerve in the groin area.
    I'd see a doc, just in case.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing?
  • sarahsamandpete
    sarahsamandpete Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am breathing but I don't have a certain technique that I use. I think on the SL website he suggests a certain pattern. I'm sure I probably hold my breath a little when coming up out of it but for the most part I just inhale/exhale naturally.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    How soon after eating do you lift? Sometimes I need a little sugar before lifting. Or take some extra breaths before the last two reps.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I dont think your breathing correctly. Breathing is a big part of weight lifting. I take one big gulp, and swallow it if you like filling my stomach with air if you like of air at the top. Then release it on the way up. It will maximise your lift and help protect your back and core as you will feel your whole stomach tighten to support the lift. Hope this helps.