Maintainers questions

Options
Total weight loss

How long did it take you to lose the weight?

What method did you use to lose the weight?

How long are you in maintenance?

How do you deal with social situations and vacations?

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it?

What does a day of eating look like for you now, compared to when you were losing weight? Did it
change? How did it change?

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss?

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it?

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5 months for the main chunk of weight loss. Nibbled away a further 10 - 14lbs in a series of steps of maintenance/loss over an extended period.

5:2 dieting, MFP eat back exercise calories method on the 5 maintenance days.

4+ years but deliberately at a few different weights.

I enjoy them. If that results in a weight gain I sort that out afterwards. Life is too short not to enjoy yourself.

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it?
    Love good food and drink plus my intuitive eating level is, and always has been, higher than I actually need. Greedy I suppose you could call it!

What does a day of eating look like for you now, compared to when you were losing weight? Did it

Typically 3 meals and a few snacks a day but it varies,
    Biggest change is I simply don't have 2 low eating days a week.
    Never changed what I eat, just the weekly amount.

More energy so better performance and recovery - stronger and faster. Probably do an even higher volume of exercise because I enjoy it and enjoy the results it gives me.

Breakfast skipping.
    Making lower calorie food and drink choices. I don't log food but am still calorie aware.
    Nibbling away chunks of calories in bits and pieces rather than an everyday deficit which bores me.

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it?
    Both wrists got mangled by an errant car driver which restricted my strength training badly.
    Took best part of nine months to get back to where I was before the RTA.
    Switched my exercise focus to something I could do while my wrists healed.

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight.
    Think long term in terms of sustainability, health and enjoyment of life.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Total weight loss

80 lbs (I gained back 10 lbs but measurements haven't changed)

1.5 year

TDEE-20%

2.5 years

I try to bank calories for them. I just eat under maintenance most days. I try to stay active on vacations and to stick to healthier options whenever possible (I usually fail).

I still have to really watch what I eat because I'm much hungrier than when I was losing.

Same as when losing. The only difference is that I eat more one or two days a week.

WAY more active. I used to exercise an hour a day, now it's not uncommon for me to walk 3 hours a day. I average 22k steps a day.

Just stick to a deficit 90% of the time.

Being sick. I try not to eat too much and get back to being active when I can.

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight

Learn to moderate and learn to cook. And be active.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Total weight loss
    30or 35Lbs
    4 months
    Low Glycemic (similar to South Beach Diet, but before the book came out). Didn't count calories, but was obviously in a deficit
    15 years
    I aim to generally eat the same, but know I'll indulge a bit.
    peri-menopause and menopause. I dealt with it by joining MFP and looking more at what I eat. Menopause is different for each of us.

It looks basically the same, with a bit more calories. I still eat a mostly low glycemic load diet. Whole foods, plant heavy, limited heavily refined carbs.
    I wasn't as active then. I lifted and did cardio. Now I walk, ride everywhere I go during the week, run a few times a week do Yoga and Pilates.
    If holiday eating was out of my control, as in someone else was shopping and cooking and I couldn't do what I wanted? A week of something similar to the SB diet P1 (I eliminate things that tend to cause cravings for a week)
    just menopause and the odd changes it brought as it was approaching and happened.
    Figure out what works for you. Work WITH your body, not against it. If lowering carbs makes you miserable, don't if refined carbs make it hard to eat to your goals, find better ones with more fiber and less sugar etc. Find what works for you. Oh, and definitely have a weight range.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss: 20 lbs

How long did it take you to lose the weight? all of last year (i did it SLOWLY!) I splurged too much on weekends and vacations and it set me back but I still eventually lost the weight.

What method did you use to lose the weight? CICO

How long are you in maintenance? 2 months

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? I TRY to eat intuitively and watch my portions but I'll never ban foods.

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? Not knowing how many calories I can really take in. I still find myself eating too high of a deficit during the week so I can bank calories for the weekend. I havent lost any weight, so I think it's working for me? It'll take more experimenting with upping calories during the week.

change? How did it change? About the same plus 300 calories worth of dessert lol

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? I used to work out 6 times a week and beat myself up if i missed a day. Now I'm fine with 4-5 days a week.

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday It's a mental struggle for me to get back after hardcore splurging so I try to stay away from overdoing it for that reason alone. I went through the whole binge/restrict cycle for many years, and am much happier eating everything in moderation. Balance is key.

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it? I injured my lower back and had to adjust my lifting around it. I actually started running more instead of lifting during that time and started enjoying it more. Now I run 3 times a week and really like it. Other than that just the usual being sick and not being able to workout. I make sure I keep my eating in check during those times.

For food: eat what you like and eat in a way that is sustainable for life. Dont ever ban foods you love and don't listen to diet myths!
    For fitness: similar to diet, do what you enjoy most that way it'll stick for life!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss: 70lbs

How long did it take you to lose the weight? Almost a year

What method did you use to lose the weight? CICO

How long are you in maintenance? 6 months

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? I don't have many vacations, so I just enjoy them. Social situations are getting easier -- I simply stop at 1 drink and try not to eat like a crazy person.

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? It's getting easier. I still weigh, log and track, but I've been able to diversify my palette and explore new foods

change? How did it change? Not much change- I eat the same foods, just a couple hundred calories more now.

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? About the same. Walk 10k steps daily, run 3x per week and lift 3x per week. Adding in Pilates, sprints, biking.

What strategies do you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday? I just start again the next day. I don't even try to make it up. It's insignificant in the big picture

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? I got plantar fasciitis while training for my half marathon last year. I just ran through it and eventually got relief from cortisone shots.

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight? Relax. This does not have to be a painful white-knuckle experience. Go slow and be patient.
  • FitBody3
    FitBody3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Total weight loss

About a year

Eating smaller portions : eating until I am full but not stuffed.
    And calorie counting

2 years

Ate whatever I wanted BUT once again, ate a reasonable amount.

Wanting to build muscle but too lazy to do strength training. I dont deal with it

I feel more confident , eat more , feel more energetic.

Same. I dont exercise that much

I simply do so by eating at a slight deficit for some days. Not that difficult as I know that
    I do not want to gain weight.

No

Do not over think it and relax. Do not stress over food or over calories or whatever and enjoy life. I knkw that many social events involve food and my advice is : ENJOY THEM. Because when you grow up , you are not going to look back and happily say ' Ah remember that night that I stayed in because I did not want to go over my calories?'

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss- 30#

8 mths

CICO

Not anymore. Am back to losing.

I ate what I wanted, trying to moderate. I got back on track afterwards.

When I was in maintenance the biggest challenge was that I wanted to stop logging, and just eat in moderation.

3 small meals and a couple of snacks. Since maintenance was only 150 more calories than weight loss, not much changed, which is why I slipped back into weight gain. I felt deprived and restricted.

Same. I love to do cardio with a little upper body.

Start logging again right away. This is where I failed. I got to where I didn't log anymore, and ate too much.

Can't jog anymore after 42 years because of foot problems so switched to a stationary bike which I thought I'd hate, but love.

Maintaining is forever. If you slip, just start again. Better to start sooner, rather than when you've gained a whole bunch back. Work on understanding what maintenance means for you. It's different for everyone, but constant vigilance for most.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Total weight loss: -- 25 kg (55 lbs)

How long did it take you to lose the weight? -- Two lots of 16 weeks each

What method did you use to lose the weight? -- CI<CO

How long are you in maintenance? -- A little over a year, I guess

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? -- Diet breaks and/or lots of exercise

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? -- Not going too overboard with the eating when I participate in my ultra-distance cycling events. It's kind of a balancing act that's hard to get just right.

What does a day of eating look like for you now, compared to when you were losing weight? Did it change? How did it change? -- My day of eating is the same as it was before I set about losing weight, while I was losing weight, and since I lost the weight. It's just that when I was losing weight, and through maintenance, I track my calories and eat somewhat less.

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? -- More ... because I can!

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday? -- Pick a date to start tracking again, and start tracking again on that date.

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it? -- Yes, a lengthy illness -- about 6 weeks last August/September/October. I stopped tracking, gained a little bit of weight, rested a bit and yet still tried to keep somewhat active. I'm now losing that weight. Maintenance is a series of ups and downs.

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight. -- Make it a habit and stick with it.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss 33 pounds

How long did it take you to lose the weight? One and a half years, with a small break in there.

What method did you use to lose the weight? MFP, CICO.

How long are you in maintenance? On and off since 2013.

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? Log calories and stay on maintenance if possible; eat sensibly if I can't and make up the difference later.

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? Consistency in keeping within my weight range, especially around the holidays.

change? How did it change? Eating much the same food, just a little more of it. Also, there's more room in my diet for beer.

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? I'm lifting more now than I was during weight loss, but that's just because I didn't know better. If I knew then what I know now, I would have started lifting heavy to begin with.

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday Log all my food, weigh in almost every day until I'm back in my weight range.

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it? My setbacks have all been mental: not wanting to continue to follow through or letting myself get too busy. I deal with it by recognizing that I'm not staying on track, then readjusting my life.

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight Commit to it, whatever your goals are. Don't be wishy-washy.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Love all answers! Thanks so much to all that took time to reply
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss: 34 lbs

How long did it take you to lose the weight? a little over a year

What method did you use to lose the weight? eat less move more

How long are you in maintenance? a little over a year

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? ?? same way I always have

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? Not overeating. I love to eat so I pretty much have to be conscious of intake all the time.

change? How did it change? Not much of a change. I lost slowly so even calories didn't change much.

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? I've always been fairly active though I didn't used to 'exercise' (as is exercise just for the sake of getting exercise) much. I do exercise some now but I constantly change up my exercise. I get bored with exercise easily.

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday I don't really have a strategy. I just get back to normal

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it? I had surgery and was not able to do much during recovery. I gained a couple of lbs but then quickly lost them once my routine got back to normal

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight Find an eating pattern that feels natural to you. Eat foods you enjoy. Do exercises/activities you enjoy. You'll be more likely to stick with it if you are happy
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss

80 lbs

8 months

CICO logging everything

8 months

I enjoy them and I don't worry about it. I've developed the mentality in the chest success pattern to know what I'm doing the consequences and had to compensate. To put things in perspective when into maintenance September 2016 my weight was about 220. in October I went on vacation for a week they were probably a couple days where I drank my calorie limit alone. Also went on vacation over New Years for about a week did the same exact thing ate too much drink too much had a great time. My current weight is 208..

Really it's just being self-aware and not getting into the old habits that cause me to gain all the weight.

Only difference between weight loss phase and maintenance phase is I'm meeting some more now. During my weight loss face I still ate Wendy's hamburgers pizza and had beers on the beach it's just a matter of fitting the calories into your calorie goal. During my weight lost face and now in my maintenance phase I eat whatever I want have no restrictions.

Exercise is more intense cuz I don't hurt as much due to the excessive weight. Also to take away any excuses I've had a double hip replacement 2 years ago I have an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced and I have an arthritic shoulder that also needs to be replaced. I'm probably in better shape now than I was at 35

It's a simple mindset I know that success pattern and the mentality I developed to lose the weight and I apply that plus I have dreams that I want to fulfill

Going back to a previous answer double hip replacement arthritic knee and shoulder that needs to be replaced. I listen to my body more than anything else I'm currently doing P90X and there are days I don't do it because my body is telling me it's not a good day today I don't feel guilty about it I just realize it's one of the ups and downs of life

The weight loss is a total mental game. Once I made the decision to lose the weight it was the easiest thing I ever did. Never once did I feel like I was sacrificing anything. I don't look at this as a diet. Diets suck. You're constantly miserable and you're giving things up. In the past 16 months I've still enjoyed the foods I've always loved and I don't plan on giving them up at all. The other thing is you have to find a very selfish and personal whyperiod that why can't be about the kids or the significant other it totally has to be about you. Buy it being about you or your otherwise will take care of themselves. one last thing enjoy the journey

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss

42 lbs

About 4 months

Ate in deficit and exercised. I did P90X3, where I lost 30 lbs during the program.

1 year

I eat during social gatherings. 1 day isn't going to kill me. I eat what I want during vacations. I try to ensure I have 1 to 2 healthy meals a day. I usually gain 5 to 10 lbs during vacations, but I'm still in a healthy weight range since my maintenance weight is at the low end. I know how to lose weight, so I eat in deficit when I get back home.

This is my lifestyle now so I'm used to it.

I can eat a bit more, not much, but I can eat more. I love to snack on cereal, so I've added in cereal snacks I guess, and ice cream every now and then.

I primarily did P90X3 during weight loss, walked my dog 3x a week, and did Zumba once a week. In the last month of P90X3, I started running once a week. I liked it so after P90X was over, I gradually added in more running and started taking Body Pump classes. I finished my 1st marathon 3 weeks ago.

The same as I did to lose weight: eat in a calorie deficit and exercise.

I've had minor injuries that kept me from running, but I was still able to exercise.

Diet is the most critical aspect to losing weight. If you exercise and eat a bunch, you'll gain weight and no, it isnt "muscle." Track everything you are eating and stay in your calorie goals, and the weight will come off. Expect to be hungry. Find an exercise you enjoy and be willing to try new things.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Total weight loss - 25lbs

How long did it take you to lose the weight? 1year (slow and steady was my mantra!

What method did you use to lose the weight? CI/CO, going by MFP and then Fitbit

How long are you in maintenance? 4 years

How do you deal with social situations and vacations? Eat as I always eat now, being mindful, keep an eye on the amount of breads and sugary desserts and keep active.

What is the biggest challenge for you since you are in maintenance and how do you deal with it? first year slipping in to the thinking I can eat what I wanted because I am very active - nope! had to learn to just be vigilent all the time with my calorie intake

change? How did it change? it hasn't changed, I just got more calories to work with (2100 cals for a small person aint bad :smiley: ), I eat 80% wholesome/nutritious food and 20% whatever I fancy and that's usually chocolate.

What your exercise is like now, compared to during weight loss? a little less than when losing, now I do 1 hr/6 days a week and active in general.

What strategies you use to get back on track after splurge, vacation or holiday Straight back to being mindful and watching my intake, its the only way imo

Have you dealt with setback or injury preventing you to be active? How did you deal with it? so far, no injury (touch wood) sometimes siatica but I still keep active as it actually helps it (I just have to not lift when I am suffering a bout of it)

What is your biggest tip you would like to give to someone looking to either lose, or maintain weight It never ends! we have to keep an eye on our intake or over time we would gain if we stopped being consistent. Keeping active is key.