Vacation interruption

Options
Heading on vacation for 5 days and there is no gym in my Disney hotel. I assume they don't cater to people wanting to be healthy there. But I will be doing a ton of walkin.

That said is its okay to have a 5 day break from lifting? I thought I could use this time off to rest and then start a brand new routine when I return. The one I've been doing has been in place for past 6 weeks.

Just worries about muscle losses Thanks

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Many lifting routines have deload days or weeks scheduled in (Wendler's 5,3,1 for example has a deload every 4th week) and those following these routines do not lose strength or muscle mass. So, for a 5 day break with no lifting you're not going to see any loss of muscle. Enjoy the holiday and don't stress about the lifting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's only 5 days... will you lose some strength? Maybe, maybe not.. some people come back from a rest week stronger. You won't lose muscle in that short a time. If you are really concerned, you can do some body weight exercises, but not necessary unless it is something you want to to.

I personally never visit the gym on vacation.. I eat and drink all the things, enjoy the time with the family and relax.. do lots of walking and swimming. Enjoy yourself!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing and enjoy yourself. That's what vacations are for.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It's not what you do during vacations, it's what you do when you get back. The other 51 weeks.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Does your gym participate in the Passport program? If you can't go 5 days without lifting you could drop in at a gym in Orlando...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You will lose every gram of muscle on your body and never be able to lift again.

But in reality; you'll eat well, walk lots, recover and come back stronger than before. 5 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    5 days is nothing...

I generally take a week off from lifting every 4-6 weeks depending on what I'm running and just do some calisthenics.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of powerlifters take an entire week off before meets, if that tells you anything.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    5 days won't really damage your progress physically.

5 days without some sort of physical activity would make me bonkers though.

If it was me I'd go find a gym and get a week pass for free or buy a day and go lift just to make my brain function.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka
    If the OP goes to Disneyland or Disney World he probably has kids, so his brain will have to work overtime during those 5 days. He may go bonkers but not because he will not be able to lift... ;)

OP, you will be fine and maybe came stronger after the break. Just do some push ups and body squats in the hotel room and watch your food intake. The walking will do the rest. Enjoy your mini vacation.