Help, I lost the "magic" of a few years ago

Options
DannyYMi54321
DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
edited February 2017 in Motivation and Support
Help! I need ideas to re-motivate my weight loss journey. I lost a great deal of weight about 4 years ago, and kept it off for a couple of years. Then I regained about a third of it, and have taken half of that third off again.

I had a lot of motivation then - negative motivation - fear, from a major health crisis. But it definitely got me serious and moving for the first time in years. And the things I did then just "clicked" - I was super-motivated, super-committed and saw great results.

Fate intervened again, and I had to step away from caring for myself for a while because of a family (elder-care) situation, and I put weight on.

I've struggled and got some of it off over the last year, but ... it's not like it was. My motivation is lacking. My willpower or discipline or commitment, whatever you want to call it, is just not where it was. The first time around, I almost never cheated and felt great about that. Now, I cheat regularly with junk food, fast food, etc, and feel terrible about it but can't seem to stop, then do stupid, nuts moves to cover - like not skipping 2 meals the next day, etc. NOT the right way to do it.

I was eating "clean" and "organic" and preparing my own meals, etc. Now, it's like "I'm too tired" and I reach for whatever or do fast food or takeout or frozen meals. I buy a lot of "good" food (vegetables, meats, etc) and end up not using it and letting it spoil - then I reach for junk food or fast food - I'm basically eating a S.A.D. with unhealthy tweeks to stay about the same weight, and yo-yo. I've gone up and down the same 10 pounds at least 5-6 times in 6 months.

I do still exercise, but NOT enough, either - I go to the gym several times a week, but don't necessarily give it the same commitment or work out with the same intensity I did. And I was doing a lot of on-my-own stuff like cycling and that has lapsed to.

I miss it, I miss the "magic" of that, and I feel like if I could rekindle that I could get back to how I felt about myself and see the results I really want. Just not sure how, though.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think you probably just need to level set your expectations. It sounds like you are in a very different situation than you were 4 years ago and you will probably need to develop different ways to meet your goals that fit into your current life.

There is nothing wrong with "convenience" foods as long as you make it fit into your calorie goals for the day. I frequently have frozen veggie burgers and frozen veggies for dinner. Its quick and easy and works for me.

Also, it sounds like you have a lot less weight to lose this time around, which is awesome but you probably won't see huge results at the beginning like you might have previously. Those beginning losses can sometimes help you feel the "magic" and you might be missing that. Set reasonable goals, use a food scale as much as possible, and figure out what works for you! You did it before, you can definitely do it again!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Set an eating plan and follow it. Try pre-logging your food each day. Establish good HABITS and stop looking for feelings of "magic". When it works that way, it's great, but you can't count on it. Just do what you've decided you need to do.
  • Mulizza
    Mulizza Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have the same problem with motivation. What I've done is ask a friend to workout with me. If you can't do that- find a female fitness guru on Instagram that is at [or about] your goal weight [and figure?] to follow for motivation...they post pictures all the time that will motivate you!
    Also, I've made it a religious effort to track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth with this app- my fitness pal. It's the best thing I've ever used to watch what I eat. I lost a tad over 2lbs the first week, and is always right about your goal vs calories you eat, etc. In other words..make this app your best friend!
    Also, depending on your personality a weekly meal plan may NOT work....if you have to do daily meal plan like I do..just make sure you get plenty of healthy things to make different meals or find several fast food options that offer safe menu options.
    Never go to zaxbys (even the salads are outrageous) ! Chicfila is my favorite because they have several things on the menu that are not gigantic in calories! Salads, sandwiches, and soup. If someone doesn't have a menu with calorie count- leave! (I've done it...it made me feel very proud & committed.) :wink:

WE CAN DO THIS! :smile:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Third time losing. I was right where you are a few months ago. I'd gained back the 20 pounds I'd lost- again. This time I finally just said "enough". I went up 1 slack size and was on the verge of needing to go up another. I'd been tenuously on MFP, logging when I felt like it while I ate whatever I wanted.

I told myself I just needed to do it, or I'd just keep yo-yoing. I was tired of doing that. I just want to be able to go to parties and out to eat and to watch TV, and know I can maintain proper portion size based on calories. So, I've lost 8 pounds with 12 to go. For the last time. Logging. Sticking to it. You know the drill.

This time live on the maintenance boards. Many there have maintained their loss for many years. They do what it takes. Some log, some exercise a lot, some weigh daily and some don't do any of that. What you're doing isn't working. It's time to start over again, get where you want to be, and stay there. You'll be healthier and happier, in the short run, and the long run.