After 5 weeks !!

Options
I wanted to share my 5 week progression with some lessons I have learned.
So far I have lost 11.0 lbs over 5 weeks. My workout routine consisted of mostly Cardio. Some Strength training in the form of circuit workouts (spartacus) I am a father of two boys, 3 y/o and a 9 month old. I watch the boys 4 days a week.

1) If you are trying to lose weight (most of us) remember to weigh yourself at the same time each day or week and use the same scale. i.e Wed at 10am.

2) Understand how your weight fluctuates daily. I learned that after a day when I consumed more sodium or carbs I tended to weigh more the next morning. This is due to water retention. Your daily fluctuation is water weight. I changed my sodium intake to a max of 1500mg

3) Painful joints - I weigh a lot. My joints got painful after running. I did not let this stop me, I would do a spin class. This would help loosing me joints and has less of an impact. Stretching is another huge thing that helped. I am not flexible and I did not care. It helped a ton.

4) I used the internet a lot for help, I was a bit self conscious going to the gym to do classes. I found a really neat app (Peloton) for at home spin classes, I bought a used spin bike for 75$ and figured it out. I also researched what would be the best exercise for me. I hate running but I found it was the best bang for the buck.

5) I never have time, or it is hard to find time to workout. I used this especially trying to wrangle 2 young boys. Let's get real though, you can find 45min at some point to do a 25-40min workout. You have to make the time. I did my home workout when I knew I could not leave the house and hit the gym. Put the little (9 month) down for a nap, explain to the 3 y/o daddy needs to workout for 30-45min and just do it. Even days my wife was unable to watch the kiddos, I still made the time.

6) My diet, I was to eat under 1800 calories a day. I found that I had low energy and cravings when I did this. The cravings suck but that is just pure will power. The energy was hard to pinpoint. I learned that carbs are needed in coordination with my workout efforts, as well as fiber. That Oak meal in the morning with a slice of grain bread helped so much in this realm. It filled my up and was healthy. Sacrificing a food that is nutritious for calories is not helpful. You can shave the calories some other way.

7) Results will be a direct result of the effort you put in. By effort I mean, time and energy. I know you have heard something like this before. It is true. I just hope that I can keep going for another 5 weeks, then another, and so on.

8) I am sure that I am doing something wrong. I still feel this way, and I know I am doing certain things wrong, and/or can do some of them better. No one is perfect, no one knows everything. I just take it one step at a time, do my thing, and worry about what I am doing. Don't let anyone patronize you. Simply take any information they provide that could help your current program and move on.

In the end, I lost a few pounds. Nothing crazy. No major body transformation. I really don't care. I am healthier, have more energy, and feel good. That is all that matters for me.
Fill free to add me, I love seeing what others are doing. I hit the like button on diary and workouts because I truly am proud of your accomplishment. No matter how small it looks, it is still progress.

Thanks for reading and good luck everyone.

m6yhlogt9bua.jpg

Replies

• ameliabee6
    ameliabee6 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I applaud your focus and determination! I'm 45 days in (and back after a year away and a 30lb weight regain due to injury and apathy.) Thanks for sharing what has worked for you so far. I am a single mom of two (ages 6 and 9) and I work full-time so I can relate to the challenge of making the time and finding the energy. It's about creating new habits and routines for me too. The nice thing is, as they get older, they want to work out with you, which can be really fun. Also, AWESOME idea about buying a used SpinBike! I'm going to look for one! Thanks again for sharing and keep up the great work!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    Great job, I can see the difference!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Great job on your current success! May you continue to have more success! If you're not sure you're doing something right, go to the forums, do research, always dig for the truth. Your way of doing things may not be the same as someone else's, but it also doesn't mean that they're wrong either. :smiley:
  • lavender51
    lavender51 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great progress, you're doing well
  • bobbeee64
    bobbeee64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right on!
    I am a 52 year old man who is also around 48 days in to MFP.
    I started at about 262 pounds and am down to 246 or so.
    I realized today that for the past month I have been misreading the serving size of one of my common snacks (Hamptons unshelled peanuts) it looks like 1&1/2 cups (lol) it actually read
    1 z 1/2 cup. (that is only 10 nuts) It made me giggle a bit but now I know. I will correct this.
    I have also realized that my typical diet is often very low in potassium. I have been researching this and have found that often the potassium in many foods is not listed. I took the given nutrient information and created my own food with the corrected nutritional values. Even so, the daily potassium goal is tough to reach.
    Cheers!
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! Wishing you well as you continue your journey!
  • missanne11
    missanne11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great job. Very motivational and inspirational! I started 5 days ago, and am trying my best to stay on track with exercise and diet. I am unfortunately weighing daily, which can be discouraging. I weigh in on Thursday, and hoping to lose at least 2 lbs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!