Avocado...I want to love you...

Options
Wadeeee
Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
Avocado. A superfood. Loaded with 20 vitamins and minerals. Antioxidant rich. Amazingly good for you. Most people even want to marry it, but...

I just can't. I absolutely hate it. It's the texture. It's the flavor. It's how sneaky it can be...showing up in every imaginable recipe these days. I feel like it should be only a garnish, if even that.

And really, I'm a human being. Not some monster or alien. I'm actually a real person, believe it or not.

Ugh...does anyone share my thoughts on this?

Or better yet, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could learn to love it?!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I never learned to love it at all. It really doesn't have a bad taste, but not a good taste either. It's just kinda.. well.. tasteless to an extent to me unless you hose it down with salt. One way I use them is to let them ripen, then mash them up, add tuna, pickle relish, salt and pepper, and make a mayo-less tuna salad. I also like guacamole dip if it's made right. I have to have lots of tomato chunks and lots of jalapenos and spices in mine otherwise it's back to the bland flavor. I've tried them sliced on top of a burger and they aren't bad if the burger has enough other good stuff. I've also tossed some in smoothies in a blender and they weren't bad that way, and I've put some on tacos diced small as a topping along with lots of other stuff and it isn't bad. But those are the only ways I like them, and I'll be honest, if I buy a half dozen avocados, three of them will go bad before I use them. I tossed out two the other day. So now I try to buy no more than 2 at a time and that's stretching it.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Wholly Guacamole - 100 cal cups... on toast, as a dip with carrot/cucumber slices (or tortilla chips!), on a sandwich, with eggs in a burrito, with crackers, make your own salad dressing, alone or mixed with plain yogurt or sour cream on a baked potato!

I do not care for plain avocado, but I love guac!
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I too at one point in my life despised avocado. And for all the reasons you listed, I told myself I had to learn to like it. I mean, when it comes down to it, if you don't like something no one is forcing you to eat it so it's your choice to avoid (or learn to like it). I started out by making it into guacamole, so I didn't just taste the avocado. It was filled with onion, tomatoes, and fresh lime juice. Then I moved to adding it onto sandwiches/ burgers, mixed in with rice and beans etc. then I suddenly started to realize I looked forward to eating it. Now I can scoop it right out of the skin and eat it plain. I wouldn't sweat it though, you don't like it or have a desire to learn to like it, accept your fate and eat something else :)
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    I never learned to love it at all. It really doesn't have a bad taste, but not a good taste either. It's just kinda.. well.. tasteless to an extent to me unless you hose it down with salt. One way I use them is to let them ripen, then mash them up, add tuna, pickle relish, salt and pepper, and make a mayo-less tuna salad. I also like guacamole dip if it's made right. I have to have lots of tomato chunks and lots of jalapenos and spices in mine otherwise it's back to the bland flavor. I've tried them sliced on top of a burger and they aren't bad if the burger has enough other good stuff. I've also tossed some in smoothies in a blender and they weren't bad that way, and I've put some on tacos diced small as a topping along with lots of other stuff and it isn't bad. But those are the only ways I like them, and I'll be honest, if I buy a half dozen avocados, three of them will go bad before I use them. I tossed out two the other day. So now I try to buy no more than 2 at a time and that's stretching it.

Gotcha...so maybe I should just use them sparingly, as a small addition to dishes that I already love.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    ... or maybe you just don't like them so don't eat them :-) I dislike quinoa, and was trying to make myself eat it. Then I decided I don't need to eat if I don't want to :wink:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Not an entirely helpful option if you're trying to stay low cal but I really like it sliced in chunky bits, coated with egg , dipped in flour/chilli powder/salt and then shallow fried to make avocado fritters. Also tried an avocado carbonara from Pinterest that is yummy but very filling and quite high calorie too.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan either. I only started making myself eat it for the health benefits....maybe some day I'll learn to like them dammit!
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No tips, just a useless fact: Avocado has tons of fiber.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Texture and taste matter in what we eat, so whatever you like or dislike! Find an alternative, hide it in your foods, but if you're not suffering for nutrients don't force yourself into it. :wink:
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like just because it's "good" for me. There are other options besides avocados.
  • danibopp
    danibopp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Haha! I understand. I like avocados with a lot of things but sometimes they are just meh. What about guacamole?? It's actually a very refreshing dish! But if you just can get past it then I wouldn't worry too much about it!
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Before I started eating Whole foods for nutritional reason, I couldn't understand why that damn thing even existed. I hated it to the core.
    Well, I started from pinching my nose just so that I can swallow to seasoning it to make it edible.
    Now, I can't live without it. All my dishes contain avocado.
    I know exactly what you mean.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    It is a bit odd how avocado, on its own, is not very pleasant tasting. But add it to ANYTHING and the meal enters exalted levels.

If you're not fond of the texture or flavor, I'm not sure what can be done. Chocolate Avocado smoothie?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Living in New Mexico, it's pretty much a staple...I grew up eating avocado. Typically it is used to make guacamole...or is an accompaniment to salads, sandwiches, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc. Most people I know don't just eat avocado on it's own, though I do...I often just cut one in half and throw a little salt on their and scoop it out with a spoon as a snack.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wadeeee wrote: »
    Avocado. A superfood. Loaded with 20 vitamins and minerals. Antioxidant rich. Amazingly good for you. Most people even want to marry it, but...

I just can't. I absolutely hate it. It's the texture. It's the flavor. It's how sneaky it can be...showing up in every imaginable recipe these days. I feel like it should be only a garnish, if even that.

And really, I'm a human being. Not some monster or alien. I'm actually a real person, believe it or not.

Or better yet, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could learn to love it?!

Hail to you...finally someone who shares my same opinion about avocado, because you're the first one I meet!
    I absolutely agree with you on EVERYTHING you have written! I cannot tolerate avocado, no way. But I'm having a little bit of it everyday right now and my trick is to get it unripe, it's the same texture of an unripe peach, not that disgusting mushy thing. And the taste isn't nearly as bad, actually I almost like it.
    But it shall be really firm, hard to the touch, and keep it in the fridge so it doesn't ripen.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    It needs to be perfectly ripe. Not hard and squeaky and definitely not mushy.

The first time I liked avocado, it was at a restaurant and part of a green leafy salad with new potatoes, green beans, peppers and freshly baked doughballs.

Soon, I was hooked, and buying it for home use to replicate that meal at home. It didn't stop there though. Then, I moved on to the hard stuff and started eating slices of avocado in tomato sandwiches. But it had to be fresh, fluffy white bread for that.

I don't actually have a problem though. I mean, I can stop any time I like and I'd never eat guacamole. 'Specially not round the kids. That wouldn't be right.
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »
    Wadeeee wrote: »

Hail to you...finally someone who shares my same opinion about avocado, because you're the first one I meet!
    I absolutely agree with you on EVERYTHING you have written! I cannot tolerate avocado, no way. But I'm having a little bit of it everyday right now and my trick is to get it unripe, it's the same texture of an unripe peach, not that disgusting mushy thing. And the taste isn't nearly as bad, actually I almost like it.
    But it shall be really firm, hard to the touch, and keep it in the fridge so it doesn't ripen.

I'm going to have to try that! I think I'm buying them too ripe, and could stomach it if it wasn't near mushy. Great idea - thanks a ton! :smile:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    This is definitely a treat option, but I tried making vegan chocolate cupcakes with avocado and they were AMAZING!
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I used to hate avocados and I am a Californian ... I think that's against the law or something. However, I started forcing myself to eat them from time to time. I actually like them now. I just made blackened fish tacos the other night with an avocado, tomato, and mango salsa it was very good.

It's also key to pick out the best avocados in the store. I like to do the stem test. Peel back the small stem or cap at the top of the avocado. If it comes away easily and you find green underneath, you've got a good avocado that's ripe and ready to eat. That's the kind of fruit you want to take home with you. If you pull back the stem and find brown underneath, the avocado is overripe, and you're likely to find brown spots inside the fruit. And, if the stem doesn't come off, the fruit is not yet ripe enough to eat.

tumblr_o2ct4257xV1t5r1mpo1_r1_500.gif
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Do to yourself what I did to my daughter lol. She doesn't like avacado either. But what she doesn't know won't hurt her. I made quinoa with sazon goya salt and pepper. Then you put black beans on top. With salsa. And an over medium egg. Chop up a half of an avacado really tiny and then mix it in. You will hardly notice it with all the other flavors going on.