Any Crossfitters?

Options
I stumbled into a box a few weeks ago and now I'm signed up for the open. Would love to meet more crossfitters who're enjoying the sport and maybe doing the open for fun as well.

Replies

• 4righteousnesssake
    4righteousnesssake Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit from my garage. Boom!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Jumping right in! The open is fun, (assuming your box does something cool for it) Last year was my 1st experience with it, looking forward to this year.
  • IceQueen1986
    IceQueen1986 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Jumping right in! The open is fun, (assuming your box does something cool for it) Last year was my 1st experience with it, looking forward to this year.

I hope it's fun. Everyone keeps telling me it's a must try. You taking part again this year?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @rbyo makes a great point. Since I'm training through one injury or strain or another, I scale quite a bit, especially overhead movements and pull-ups currently. You can scale the movement and still get a great workout in. However, that's fine for an everyday workout, but if you compete in the Open there are movement standards that will be scrutinized i.e. Where the bar starts and where it ends. (How you get it there isn't so much of an issue.) This is especially the case with overhead movements like cleans, jerks, presses, squats etc.

OP since it's your first open it might be worth taking the $10 ref course. I did and I'm not planning on competing in the Open. You also might want to download and read the rule book once, takes less than an hour.
  • Cathy927
    Cathy927 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started doing crossfit in October and loving it. Didn't register for the Open but hoping to next year! Will be joining the WODs at the box.
    Good luck!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Been doing CrossFit for almost 2 years now, but was off for the past 6 months recovering from shoulder surgery. I was just cleared to start lifting again, so I'm back in the box doing 5 days a week. I didn't think I'd be back in time for the Open. I did the non-scaled Open last year, but this year I'll be doing it (unofficially) with lots of scaling involved since certain things I'm not allowed to do for another 3 months (pull-ups and bar work being the biggest one). It will still be fun regardless. Feel free to add me as a friend. My wife is a huge CF fan, and now goes 6 days a week, though it took her almost a year of watching me before she decided to give it a shot. She's on here too if you wanted to add her as a friend.
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This year is my first Open - the first workout has been posted and while it will be difficult, the movements are all things I can actually do. I'll be doing Rx - but there is no way I finish within the time cap.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Good luck all!
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just signed up this year for my first open, I love Crossfit!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    @Keladelphia is my favorite crossfit competitor.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    @Keladelphia is my favorite crossfit competitor.

Awww well you're my favorite powerlifting competitor @_incogNEATo_ ;)

@IceQueen1986 It's awesome that you've only been doing CF a few weeks and registered for the open! It's a great way to really get involved in the CF community. Have a blast with it! It's so fun to look back at each years Open to see how you've grown once you've been doing it for a few years.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just started CF in JAN. I'm so empowered by all these badass women. I would love to be on their level.

I'm doing the open scaled. I did 17.1 yesterday and I'm not going to lie, my back is sore from the snatches yesterday. I was so proud of my time! The atmosphere at my box and the support was awesome.
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This year is my first Open - the first workout has been posted and while it will be difficult, the movements are all things I can actually do. I'll be doing Rx - but there is no way I finish within the time cap.
    I did better than I expected - 190 reps. On to 17.2.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I did better than I expected - 190 reps. On to 17.2.

That's awesome! I'm terrified to see what 17.2 will be. :#

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    OMG Yes! started Crossfit the 7th of November here in Iceland and I've been doing this for 3 months. It's the best thing I've done for myself. We have some crazy competitors and it's AMAZING to watch them do the Open Wod again, and again and again. I swear those girls have a death wish lol.

I did it twice
    First attempt: 225 reps - 19:59
    Second attempt: 225 reps - 17:43

I loved it! I can't wait to do 17.2 on Friday
  • morgansquicciarini
    Options
    Today marks 3 months of crossfit for me!! It has honestly changed my life and I can definitely see and feel major improvements in just this short amount of time. I have also just started eating paleo again to feel my best during the open.

Anyone have any macro percentage goals to try to hit with paleo? I used to stick with the 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat like MFP suggests, but obviously that doesn't fit well with paleo (low carb, high protein)
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all who are partaking in the Open. I'm a newbie to Crossfit and I tried 17.1 scaled workouts this week. Loved it! I'm amazed and inspired of the age and fitness levels competing.