Turkey vs. Chicken

Options
AshNay09
AshNay09 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2017 in Recipes
Does anyone know which poultry is more beneficial in terms of fat content and number of calories?

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Doing a quick search on the USDA website shows chicken to have slightly less calories and slightly more fat. But they are very comparable.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Statistically, they are nutritionally interchangeable when you consider variation in individual samples.

Preference is usually determined by taste ( turkey is more distinct ), texture ( turkey tends to be firmer ), and cost.

Vitamin, mineral, cholesterol, etc profiles are also very similar.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I buy ground chicken or turkey at the store there are lean and leaner options - 85% 93% and 99% As far as the cuts or as a whole - again probably depends on how it's processed and prepared.
  • xxxCHAOTIC
    xxxCHAOTIC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They're pretty much interchangeable. I just find it's much easier to find bulk chicken breast than bulk turkey breast, but have more options for ground turkey than ground chicken.

In a household with 4 adults to feed it all comes down to what's the most cost effective.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    AshNay09 wrote: »
    Does anyone know which poultry is more beneficial in terms of fat content and number of calories?

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Chicken_vs_Turkey
    Chicken breast and turkey breast are pretty similar. The turkey has a lot more sodium it looks like so if that is a concern for you then chicken may be a better choice.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/turkey-breast-vs-chicken-breast.html

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    They're pretty close - go with what you like/is cheaper in the cut(s) you like.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't really worry about the nitty gritty. I mean you can just eat 7% fat Ground Turkey, even 1% (Does not taste any good tbh though) so it really depends on your taste palette. It get boring to eat the same chicken breast or thigh everyday, so its definitely possible to eat both.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the stores around here recently have had a lot more of the 99% lean ground turkey than the 93% or 85%. I found this recipe (link: http://www.inspiredtaste.net/21535/unbelievably-moist-turkey-meatloaf-recipe ) that uses mushrooms to bring/keep moisture in the meatloaf mix (I was afraid the 99% mix would make a sawdust meatloaf). I finely chop the mushrooms in my food processor. The first time I made the recipe, I made 4x the recipe amount due to family needs and hopes for a couple days' layaway food prep, so it took quite a while for the mushroom mix to sweat in the pan. We've made it since, in more reasonable amounts, and this method might displace our more-typical turkey meatloaf recipe. (PS: I also use plain no-salt tomato sauce rather than ketchup, and do include chopped celery in the mix). The mushrooms don't overwhelm the turkey taste here, by the way.

Turkey is a nice changeup from chicken, with similar nutrition profiles.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In terms of nutrients, go with organ meats.
    As omnivores, variety is always good. Eat what you can afford and want. HEB recently started selling a rotisserie turkey breast that I loved.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I buy ground chicken or turkey at the store there are lean and leaner options - 85% 93% and 99% As far as the cuts or as a whole - again probably depends on how it's processed and prepared.

Never bought either one ground, but I've always had a preference for chicken.
  • martyn4314
    martyn4314 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chicken. ... A 1-lb. serving of skinless, boneless chicken breast contains 135 calories per serving, which is 12 calories higher than the same serving of turkey. The ratio of protein to fat is also slightly lower than turkey with 25 g of protein and 3 g of fat per serving.29 May 2015
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One thing to mention. You might have turkey breast left overs.Double bag meal portions,it keeps very well. Very nice ..just add your veggie etc,supper is done.Also makes great sandwiches.Something to think about,you can get several meals from turkey breast.