Modifying a Recipe to Use Cauliflower Rice instead of Uncooked Minute Rice? Help!

Options
AlyssaPetsDogs
AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
I have been craving stuffed cabbage casserole. It's one of my favorite comfort foods because it has tomato flavor along with cabbage and ground beef. Seriously so yummy. Our family recipe also includes minute rice. You mix the minute rice (uncooked) with the ground beef mixture and that gets baked in a casserole dish along with the cabbage and tomato sauce mixture.

I'm trying to modify the recipe to slash calories because having a serving of this with the minute rice is more calories and carbs than I would like to allow for a meal (especially since I meal prep and have the same thing for lunch and dinner).

I was wondering if riced cauliflower could do the trick in being a swap? My concern is that the cauliflower rice is already soft and that it will just turn to mush.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can incorporate the riced cauliflower into this recipe?

I should say that I have made cauliflower rice once (I tried to make cilantro chipotle-style rice with cauliflower and it was a huge fail). I am ready to try it again! Any tips or direction toward the best recipe for the cauliflower rice would be helpful. I have like 5 different ones save on my pinterest, but unsure which would be best for baking in a casserole.

Thank you in advance! Have a great Monday, everyone!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will sub well because the minute rice would soak up a lot of the sauce, making the dish more solid and less soupy.

And then I googled, and here's a recipe for just what you're talking about: http://www.lowcarb-ology.com/cabbage-rolls-without-carbs/

See how that compares with your usual?
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I don't think it will sub well because the minute rice would soak up a lot of the sauce, making the dish more solid and less soupy.

And then I googled, and here's a recipe for just what you're talking about: http://www.lowcarb-ology.com/cabbage-rolls-without-carbs/

See how that compares with your usual?

Thank you so much! I'm going to try this with my recipe! I'm more worried about the cauliflower rice giving off more liquid! I will try this though! I'm sure it will still be tasty! :)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I would sub finely chopped cabbage for the rice.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have been craving stuffed cabbage casserole. It's one of my favorite comfort foods because it has tomato flavor along with cabbage and ground beef. Seriously so yummy. Our family recipe also includes minute rice. You mix the minute rice (uncooked) with the ground beef mixture and that gets baked in a casserole dish along with the cabbage and tomato sauce mixture.

I'm trying to modify the recipe to slash calories because having a serving of this with the minute rice is more calories and carbs than I would like to allow for a meal (especially since I meal prep and have the same thing for lunch and dinner).

I was wondering if riced cauliflower could do the trick in being a swap? My concern is that the cauliflower rice is already soft and that it will just turn to mush.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can incorporate the riced cauliflower into this recipe?

I should say that I have made cauliflower rice once (I tried to make cilantro chipotle-style rice with cauliflower and it was a huge fail). I am ready to try it again! Any tips or direction toward the best recipe for the cauliflower rice would be helpful. I have like 5 different ones save on my pinterest, but unsure which would be best for baking in a casserole.

Thank you in advance! Have a great Monday, everyone!

I would just cook them separately and serve the meat mixture over it or just have it without the rice component... reduce liquid in the meat mixture since you won't be cooking rice with it.
    If it is like this I would leave out the water and cook for less time-> http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/stuffed-cabbage-casserole