Losing/maintain weight when you don't have a kitchen

Options
For the next several months, I won't have a kitchen. I'll be eating either out of a cafeteria or someone else's house. Last year, I lost a lot of pounds and I really don't want to add them back on. I'll keep exercising, but I was wondering if others had dealt with situation or not. Oh, added complication, I'm in another country so the food is completely different. I'm not sure what is in it or even what it is called so it is difficult to track.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What country?
    You are going to have to get used to guesstimating.
    If your country has a wide variety of vegetables and fruit, fill up half your plate with that. Chances are you can also carry fruit as an easy snack.
    Make food discoveries. I am betting your adopted country does not have the obesity problem we have here.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    Which country?
    Do you have access to a microwave?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat three meals a day and don't go back for seconds.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    discuss the food with your hosts, you may get information about recipes, also google is your friend to research what is in your meals, could help with portion sizes
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eat from a cafeteria nearly every day. Eating out doesn't mean you have to overeat, you just need to learn to throw food away. Trust me, cleaning your plate won't help starving kids in China, no matter what your mother told you. I know people like to say that you don't really know how much you are eating if you don't weigh everything, but my experience is that it isn't as bad as all that. As long as you give yourself plenty of margin, you can judge portion sizes visually and not go over. Just make sure you continue to step on the scale from time to time to verify that you are on track. If your weight isn't doing what it should then reduce your portion sizes.