I'm back

Options
dp214
dp214 Posts: 5 Member
I have not been in since June 2016. A year later and 14 pounds, but more like 20 since I did get to 210 along the way. I'm now at 230. I need motivation and encouragements. But more importantly I need to learn to love myself no matter what. I can't seem to ever be happy with me. I believe learning to do that would be half the battle. Anyone else ever felt this way. Suggestions please.

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Well what works for me might not work for you. However more than the scale, I felt amazing after I got my calorie intake in order. I simply set up the weight goals, weigh my meals, and eat at the calorie range I am supposed to eat. Its been working wonders for me. You can check the scale once in a while of course to adjust your calories.

Either case, don't let small things like a number on the scale push you down, or make you upset. Change whatever is making you unhappy in your life. Life's too short to worry about small things :smile:
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The key is to focus on your efforts. If you establish healthy behaviors (nutrition and exercise) and are consistent in them, you'll make progress. You are also right in learning to love yourself. You're worth it. Finding a supportive and encouraging group of people will help you stick to it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not sure how to reply to this, but feel compelled to for some reason. I certainly have my own self-esteem issues, and it's wise to address these things, but I don't know if they hugely impact my weight loss. I think it's more the case that some of us engage in a lot of negative self-talk in general, including about our weight loss, ("What's the point of trying... I'm never going to succeed", etc.), and it can make it more of a challenge. I've been looking into some cognitive-behavioral techniques (The Beck Diet Solution book) to help deal with that.

As to finding friends & support on here, I would take a more active approach. Look around the forums for people with similar goals and approaches to weight loss and reach out to them personally in a PM. I find most of my encouragement comes from offering support to others, so keep that in mind. And then stick around, be consistent, and be patient! Wish you the best :)
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP 2 years ago weighing in at 238lbs. I'm now at 166lbs. Making healthier choices with my food, being more active and self encouragement was the thing that did it for me.

I joined an exercise group and got weighed in there every week made me accountable. I was unable to do it with MFP alone as I could lie about it. Joining the exercise group meant I was with other people going through the same thing and those who had reached their goals helped me along the way.

It wasn't that MFP wasn't working, I just needed to be held accountable with 'real' people and not just 'virtual' people. Others love the virtual side of it! Hey, even I love the virtual side. I've made a lot of friends on here and can discuss a lot of issues with like minded people and they really have made a difference to me.

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The reason we regain is individual it can be from not adapting your lifestyle permantley from weightloss to maintence or more deep as comfort eating
    I've yoyoed 29 years for many reasons
    Life mainly and a tough one but I'm edging towards 50 and I need to sort this out