Fat v muscle

Options
Does muscle weigh the same as fat? Muscle is smaller but weigh the same am I wrong or right? I'm trying to get lean like to lose 10bs doing body pump kettles weights spin running hit different days ! My clothes are getting tighter HELP

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes a pound is a pound no matter what it is. Volume is smaller for muscle. If you want to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit. You can't out exercise a bad diet. If your clothes are tighter you aren't losing weight and doubtful you are gaining muscle given the activity you are currently doing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Your clothes shouldn't be getting tighter if you are gaining muscle, they should be looser. Sounds like you are eating above maintenance calories and gaining weight - what are the scales saying?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating too much if you're not losing weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your clothes shouldn't be getting tighter if you are gaining muscle, they should be looser. Sounds like you are eating above maintenance calories and gaining weight - what are the scales saying?

Not if you haven't gotten rid of the fat on top of them.

But also, if the OP is new to resistance training, it's not uncommon to have some swelling due to your body carrying more water weight to repair muscle.

OP, what is your weight doing?
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Not if you haven't gotten rid of the fat on top of them.

But also, if the OP is new to resistance training, it's not uncommon to have some swelling due to your body carrying more water weight to repair muscle.

OP, what is your weight doing?

Exactly what I was thinking.
    I've seen it happen a few ways; fat first, muscle second or muscle first, fat second or the one no one likes no fat loss or muscle gain.

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Serious answer, see below:

t0dq1zz4s2vx.jpg

This is false. The density of muscle tissue is about 1.06kg/liter versus 0.92kg/liter for adipose tissue. That's only a 15% difference.