Noob - HIIT on an Exercise Bike

Options
Hello, I'm just starting to incorporate more exercise into my lifestyle. Spent quite a few to many years very sedentary, so starting slow.

My goal is to both work on heart health and weight loss.

I've worked up to what I'm calling a HIIT routine on my stationary incline bike, not sure if I'm doing it right and what factors (speed, resistance, time) I should be working on improving . . . If anyone knowledgeable want's to give me an opinion . . .

My Routine is:

4 Minute warm up at > 16 mph at resistance level 3 (out of 9)
30 second sprint > 20 mph at resistance level 6 (out of 9)
90 second recovery > 15mph at 3 (out of 9) resistance
8 repeats of the sprint and recovery
4 minute cool down > 16 mph at 3 (out of 9) resistance

Question is as I build stamina should I be trying to:
1) extend the time of the sprint periods
2) reduce the time of the recovery
3) increase the number of iterations
4) increase the resistance or speed

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Replies

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to do? As in, what are your goals?

• MadDogParty
    MadDogParty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question.

1) Heart Association suggest to get 75 minutes of vigorous or 150 minutes exercise for so this routine I'm working on doing 3 days a week to contribute to that goal.

2) I'm on a path to lose weight.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    1) heart association doesn't say that interval training is the only way to get exercise.

2) losing weight has 2 components, what you take in and what you utilize. utilize more than you take in. or take in less than you utilize. how ever you'd like to look at it.

personally, I do the low intensity, long duration cardio thing. I don't know what it is about "intervals" but they are something that are over used and more often than not misapplied.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    First off, if you have any cardiovascular medical conditions, ask your doctor for advice and ignore ours.

Adjusting any of the 4 variables you listed will improve your cardio conditioning, so it really comes down to personal preference.

If you don't do enough walking throughout the day, consider adding 30 minutes of lower-intensity cardio on most of your non-HIIT days, for general health.

A good fitness program should include strength training too, which you can do on your non-HIIT days. New Rules of Lifting for Life is a good program to try.

For weight loss, all that really matters is consuming fewer calories than you burn each day. :+1:

• MadDogParty
    Options
    Correct heart association doesn't specify the exercise, but you asked the goal, goal is ward off heart disease and other disease through exercise.

I choose recumbent bike because I needed something low impact to start and I had access to one.

I choose to look into HIIT as I was getting bored just sitting at a constant pace and cycling for 30 minutes so I thought I'd mix it up.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Losing weight requires a calorie deficit. If you do not control your intake, what you eat, the exercise will not result in weight loss. In terms of exercise, Interval training, especially HIIT, is not recommended any more than 3 days a week, and for HIIT, even 2 days a week is probably too much for many people. In terms of endurance, while HIIT will help at some level, it won't help for longer term endurance as much as simply doing a steady state cycle on your exercise bike for a longer period of time.

At this point you have an exercise routine that is 26 minutes long, however, 8 minutes of that is warm-up and cool-down. Also, much of it is recovery time, at total of what 12 minutes.

My personal suggestion would be add in some days where you go at a steady rate for 25-30 minutes to get your overall activity time up closer to your goal bases on AHA guidelines.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @rileysowner gave excellent advice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I, too, would mix maybe a couple days of HIIT with some longer steady-state work for good balance.

The steady state doesn't have to be "just pedal": To make it more entertaining, you can mix up speed work with higher resistance "hill" work at a slower pace, to keep your heart rate in a steady state range but have some variety. Unless there's something weird about your stationary bike, you can also mix in stuff more typical of spin classes, for variety: some standing jogs, some aero position, some hovers (upper body very still, relatively slow cadence, while standing or in a forward off-the-seat position), some pieces where you alternate fairly quickly (2, 4 or 8 count) from seated to standing to forward/standing (we call them "jumps" in spin).

Plug in some music, and use the songs' pace to figure out what to do (slow song = heavier resistance, fast one = speed work, medium = one of the other alternatives).

If you're not sure about intensity levels. and don't have a heart rate monitor (or don't know how to customize it for you), think of doing the steady state work at a level where you could have a conversation, but you can't sing. (Yes, this is over-simplistic.) At the same time, it should be a level you can keep up for quite a while, but with effort.

Kudos to you for wanting to achieve cardiovascular fitness. For now, just mix it up (some HIIT, more steady state), and maybe start learning more about heart rate training if you're interested.

For weight loss, just keep it fun - if it's fun, we want to do it. If we want to do it, we do more of it. If we do more of it, we burn more calories . . . and have more fun. Virtuous cycle! ;)
  • MadDogParty
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WOW, great advice. I truly appreciate you folks taking the time.

Yup started my journey (and still continuing) with diet (calories in / calories out) I'm following my own combination of DASH, Mediterranean and MIND diets. Lost 40 pds over the last 4 months, now trying to add more activity on my path to better health.

I like the idea of strength training for the other days and will look into New Rules of Lifting for Life. I do have access also to a full set (2.5 to 25 pd) of dumbbells so will be looking to leverage them.

Virtuous cycle . . . had to look that up. I like it.

Thank you for the assist.