3 day lift program+ BJJ

Options
I've been bodybuilding for about 2 or 3 years and have been doing a variety of different programs that includes splits, strength training, 10 x 10 program... you name it but for the most part I've always been weight training a minimum of four to five days a week. About a month ago i started Brazilian jiu jistu and i love it. Its a fantastic cardio/core work out that sometimes exausts me beyond the ability to lift on the days i do it.

I train BJJ about twice a week and am starting to consider reducing the amount of days at the gym lifting --as i am getting zero rest days sinze ive started BJJ. I am wondering if anyone here has tried a 3 day lift program and which ones youve found effective. Ive been thinking of doing something like an A.B program.

Any way what are your thoughts.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5. Did it for over a year before moving on to a more advanced program. Saw serious progress and gains. No BJJ here, but did Judo for years. I think Stronglifts and BJJ would work.

You can download the app at stronglifts.com and use it to track your workouts, weight and progress in the gym. No planning, which I liked!
  • Gjeff6000
    Gjeff6000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Background: So I did things in reverse. Prior to discovering BJJ, my workouts were just the same old crap I'd done in high school/military/college, no real goal, no real science. Discovered BJJ about 2 years ago and have been in love with it since day one. About a year ago, I stared getting serious on my rest days, not because I care about the gym, but because I wanted to improve my performance on the mat and stave off injuries. It really helped at first, but started to take away a little flexability after a while, I changed up and went with strength versus size and a lot more body weight exercises.

Answer to your question: IMO, it'll depend on your body and age, I'm 40 and have years of hard physical abuse on the body and it doesn't tend to love 6 days of hard exercise for very long, regardless of how well I watch the macros and micros. Figure out which one is your passion (sounds like body building) and approach the other (BJJ) from the perspective that it's there for fun and to make your primary better. The three day lift program I found most effective was Jim Stoppanis shortcut to size (I had to adapt it to my needs-but that was easy enough). In conclusion, I've never been a gym rat, more of a mat rat, but the changes that I see in my body from BJJ + an actual program, I can totally see that changing one day.
  • neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good luck keep up with it.

I did a cycle of shortcut to size about 7 months ago it was a great program!
    Your right body building has always been my primary. Bjj is lots of fun and intense --working muscles i had thought i was hitting in the gym but CLEARLY wasnt!

I am doing BJJ on averge twice a week sometimes three. If it was my main focus it be more but at the moment im just trying to get into the groove, enjoy it and try not to get too competetive.
    How many days a week do you train in bjj?
  • Gjeff6000
    Gjeff6000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I train 3 days BJJ with my team, and occasionally visit another team for a fourth day of no-gi training and a different perspective/different opponents. One of the great things about BJJ is that you can approach it with great intensity, or just casually, and you can switch those up as you see fit, but that the time on the mat sticks with you, so even just having fun with it, you still gain valuable experience that comes in handy later and if you want to take it up a notch.

Good luck and stick with it! And by all means if you find a perfect three day lifting fit, let me know.