Sedentary Office Workers: How Do You Get Your Steps In?

Replies

• Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Thanks for this thread. I'm also sitting a lot at work but this is great advice! :*
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    lmew91 wrote: »
    I agree with those who have said not to put too much emphasis on your daily steps. Overall fitness/health can be maintained without reaching a specific step goal every day.
    Well, some of us have "fancy" new health plans that use point rewards to reduce our outrageous new premiums, and the points come from steps, as well as other things. This is becoming more common among employers, so pedometers and tracking steps are for many of us, a necessary part of our day.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Even an office job at a computer should offer breaks throughout the day. Can you use 15 minutes twice a day and go walking around your office building. I work in a downtown setting, at a computer job, and I'm able to do a mile in 15 minutes. I do that twice a day (10 a.m. and 3 p.m.) and try to do one at lunch if I have a chance.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm hitting ~ 5500 before I leave the house in the morning, and struggle to get 8000 some days. So I get the frustration. I work ~ 3.5km from home, in a 2 floor building (so 1 flight of stairs) and a small parking lot. Some days I can get up and wander, but most days I can't. Lunch is 1/2 hour so tough to eat and walk, but I do some days. Will do more once the weather warms up.

Missed my goal by 22 steps one day last week and I'm still pissed off about it.

But, yeah. If I don't walk to dogs or do something else once I get home, the 8000 is a stretch. And that is lower than the MFP goal of 10K.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    lmew91 wrote: »
    I agree with those who have said not to put too much emphasis on your daily steps. Overall fitness/health can be maintained without reaching a specific step goal every day.
    Well, some of us have "fancy" new health plans that use point rewards to reduce our outrageous new premiums, and the points come from steps, as well as other things. This is becoming more common among employers, so pedometers and tracking steps are for many of us, a necessary part of our day.

That said, for me personally, as someone that has been a runner for over 30 years, and is trying to recover from a meniscus repair, walking is absolutely a necessity - health plan or not. I've been covering 3-4 miles a day, darn near most of my life - and that is in addition to the other activities I do. To stop that now would be a sure ascent up the scale. No thanks. :)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    kazminchu wrote: »
    Honestly? I don't. My situation is similar to yours - 45min commute by car to an isolated office building (no parking further away to walk to work), 8hrs sat at my desk, and around 1hr each evening spent cooking/cleaning. I average 6k steps a day, including days where I work out. Days where I don't work out I'll be around 3k. However, this hasn't impeded my 85lb weight loss, and I would say my fitness is reasonable. I wouldn't get too hung up on hitting a certain number of steps, you still have to live your life.

I think too many people get hung up on the number of steps they take as a measure of their fitness. Like @kazminchu said, it won't impede your weight loss! Just take care to get your exercise in and be more active on a daily basis. The act of moving and being conscious of it is what's important, not the actual steps. I've ridden 30 miles on my bike but only got in 2000 steps one day and that's perfectly fine :smile:
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    I have a desk job but I'm not chained to my desk. I walk to and from work (about 1000 steps each way). I go to the bathroom frequently, which is pretty far from my desk
  • jckmdtwn
    jckmdtwn Posts: 1 Member
    This is what has worked for me. I first started off getting a step counter. I couldn't imagine making it to 10000 steps. so I began small and started off with 3000 steps/day then went to 5000 steps/day and now I'm finding it easier to add steps here and there. For lunch, CNN center is about 9 blocks from my office. So I walk there for lunch or just to see what is happening and come back. That ticks off about 2000 steps. Another lifesaver for me is having a rescue dog. He is my walking partner and always up and excited to go out for a walk as long as I want. We started going around the block. Then I extended it to down a few more blocks and then back. We are now walking to the park and around. I'm hitting my 10000 mark and enjoying the process. So having someone there to share in the exercise is motivational but not a requirement. As I became aware of my steps, I started making sure I walked more often, took the stairs, even walking up the escalator helps, just did whatever I could find to get moving. When I was young, my parents told me to "go outside." I have to remember this and find places to explorer and walk about in my neighborhood, community, city. I was use to sitting all day at work and then sitting all night at home.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I walk the dog each morning and evening for 15 minutes each time. When the weather isn't craptastic, I take a walk during lunch for another 30 minutes. I have a pretty flexible workday and can pretty much get up when I want.

At least one weekend day, I try to plan something generally active like going to the dog park or another walk or a family hike or family activity that is movement-based.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    I work from home part time and switched to a standing desk. I stand/walk/stretch/dance/bounce/etc. all day. Might not work as well in an office. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    CMNVA wrote: »
    All, thanks for your advice, very interesting.

I don't work in a private building so I can't bring in things like a desk cycle or even get a stand up desk. It's just very restrictive here with what you can do.

Also, as far as weight loss, I'm doing fine and as I said upthread, I have no issues carving out regular exercise. I guess I am just looking for ways to get more movement into my day. When I read the other thread about office workers, I was astounded that those who work in an office all day managed to get lots of steps (movement) in any way and I was having trouble seeing how they did it during their workday. I do see that some folks have a lot more freedom at work or just better situations for walking/getting to work. I must be in the one of the more restrictive situations with security/access, etc. In our building, we actually use to ONLY be able to go down the steps, but never up. They did recently change that.

While I do not pay attention to actual steps, I do things to make sure I'm moving more...take the stairs, park further away from the building, park further away from the grocery store or other venues, etc. I also get up and talk to people in the office rather than emailing them or paging them on the phone...I use the first floor restrooms, etc. I'm also on my feet most of the evening when I get home cooking and cleaning, yard work, etc. I've just never paid any attention to actual steps and never felt the need to bother.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Steps really mean nothing to me. I have an office job, but work out very early in the mornings with a mix of cardio and body weight training. On any given day my steps might be between 3k to 15k just depending on what I do for my morning workout. The rest of the day I expect to be sedentary.
  • sweet2def
    sweet2def Posts: 52 Member
    Go to the gym for 2 hours BEFORE work :smile:
  • ale527
    ale527 Posts: 95 Member
    I work from home full-time and also find it extremely hard to get 10k steps. I usually go to gym classes for 2-3 hours a night and still trek around the house after to get a few thousand steps. I got a standing desk from Craigslist to help combat sitting all day and step while I work also Fitbit can remind you to step 250 every hour. Even if you just stand at your desk and step in place while you're reading/reviewing material it helps. Friends with restrictive buildings as yours have jerry-rigged their own standing setup by using monitor risers or old phonebooks.. really whatever they could find to lift their computer to an appropriate standing level. If you're really low on steps you could try doing an hour of Zumba :) It's a lot of fun and averages about 6-8k steps.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    The only way I get my steps in on days I work is if I go for a run afterwards. Depending on the length of the run, I can get 7K-9K for the day for a short 3-4 mile run. If I run further / longer, I can reach 10K. I have been putting in some very long days recently and have struggled to get out at all, though. Things should start slowing down in a couple weeks and I'll be able to get longer runs in.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    I have two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch during my shift. I walk a half mile on each of my breaks, and a mile or two on my lunch. On my days off, I take walks around my neighborhood and listen to podcasts and music. My grocery store is about half a mile away, so I walk to it instead of driving. I take a very circuitous route to the trash compactor and mailbox when I need to take out the trash and check the mail.

I have to find ways to get my steps in, but I do it. I don't always hit 10k, especially if I only walk a mile at lunch, but I do pretty good.
  • brettr23
    brettr23 Posts: 115 Member
    Dancing at my desk....that ergonomic shuffle
  • tyismc
    tyismc Posts: 75 Member
    What about on your lunch hour walking around your building
  • JenniferYoder526
    JenniferYoder526 Posts: 1 Member
    Every time you go to the bathroom - run in place for a minute! Or just walk in place really quietly. They say it's good to get around 250 steps an hour - so literally just go pee once an hour and when you're finished washing your hands just count to 250 in place. It may seem silly but it helps a bit in the long run.

I also reset my step goal on my fitbit to 7,000 steps a day instead of 10,000 and I've found it's MUCH more achievable (obviously - less steps) BUT I've also found that at the end of the day if I'm like "Hey, only 300 more steps to meet my goal!" I will take those extra 300 steps. If I were still at 10,000 I'd be like, "Welp, I'm way off so I'm going to bed."

Hope this helps!
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    I'm not an office worker, but when my steps are low for the day, I have a literal stepper in my living room, a basic 6" platform, that I step on and off for 30 mins, which gives me 2-3000 steps depending on how fast I go (I do stepping-sprints during commercials). It gets my heart rate up a little without getting all sweaty, and I don't have to get changed into gym clothes or go shower afterwards (like a dedicated workout), or worry about if I have time, since I'd be watching TV anyway.

It might also be worth watching craigslist/FB marketplace for a 32" TV (new they go for 2-300, so used they could be half that) to put by your treadmill, if you get a chromecast you can cast shows to it while you walk or run - that could help you push past the 40 min itch. I would hate to have spent so much money on a treadmill and then not even be able to use it to reach my goals.