Second mass building?

Options
So, I initially worked down to about 125 lbs with only cardio about 3 years ago, adding weight-training several times a week about a year in (2 years ago). I had an injury that prevented me from doing my complete routine last summer, and my weight went up around 5-8 lbs. I was able to start doing both cardio and weights again and the weight has been coming off again, but I feel like I'm bulking up again as my pants don't fit!!! I didn't experience this growth the first time around with weights. Any insight as to why it could be happening now?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Water retention from a new exercise regime.
  • Ellieb6183
    Ellieb6183 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this routine for about 5 months now. Is water retention at this point still a possibility?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I misunderstood your post in that case. You're eating more than you think.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you controlling calories?
  • Ellieb6183
    Options
    I'm totally controlling calories. I bring all meals with me, except for breakfast and pack the night before. I use a scale and measuring cups. MFP has me at about ~1700/day to lose .5 lbs/week and I haven't been tucking into my cardio calories like I did during the initial weight loss,
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be about the show Falling Skies. I see it is not. Continue.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ellieb6183 wrote: »
    I'm totally controlling calories. I bring all meals with me, except for breakfast and pack the night before. I use a scale and measuring cups. MFP has me at about ~1700/day to lose .5 lbs/week and I haven't been tucking into my cardio calories like I did during the initial weight loss,

Can you open your food diary?
  • Ellieb6183
    Options
    All set
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's in your diary. I saw most days you didn't add cooking oil/butter. Saw one 'quick add 500 cals'. This is where the weight probably is.

All of us do this, so don't sweat it. Just manually change your calories to 50-100 less and continue, or tighten up the little things.
  • Ellieb6183
    Options
    I don't actually use cooking oil or butter very often. Most things are baked with spices or steamed. The thing I can think of I use it most with is with eggs, which I document. One thing I should probably mention is that it is not all over in my pants-my waist still has plenty of room. I am wondering if its possible a different set if muscles are being worked this time around and my hips and thighs are fitting differently in my pants due to muscle gain. Also, in the past my build has fluctuated relatively evenly, but this time it seems to be different.

I should also note I am back down to 128 and was fitting into my pants when I was this weight before.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going low carb / paleo for a while to see if you have a sensitivity to something?
  • Ellieb6183
    Options
    Interesting thought. I am working on replacing fruits with less- sugar veggies and increasing protein. But, I'm know I'm not a full-on paleo kinda gal.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Ellieb6183 wrote: »
    I don't actually use cooking oil or butter very often. Most things are baked with spices or steamed. The thing I can think of I use it most with is with eggs, which I document. One thing I should probably mention is that it is not all over in my pants-my waist still has plenty of room. I am wondering if its possible a different set if muscles are being worked this time around and my hips and thighs are fitting differently in my pants due to muscle gain. Also, in the past my build has fluctuated relatively evenly, but this time it seems to be different.

I should also note I am back down to 128 and was fitting into my pants when I was this weight before.

It totally could be a different lifting regime. I see you're thinking of increasing protein, IMO that's a great plan, higher(ish) protein intake at the expense of the other macros is a good strategy. Most people say high ratio of protein is between 20-35% of daily. Keep the fats 15-25% ish and lower the carbs. Carbs aren't the enemy, protein's just the boss :wink: