Wowen - SL5x5 and NRLFW wt. loss and muscle gain

Options
Long story, short as possible. Looking for advice/suggestions/experience. I am a 41 year old female. Have lost 50 pounds over last 2 years. Currently at 190, 5ft.10inches. Looking to lose another 20-30 pounds. I have worked out consistently for the past 2 yrs to lose the above mentioned weight. Using MFP for about the past 8 months. I eat approx. 1700-1800 cals per day. I started doing SL5x5 and NRLFW early January. I am currently at the end of stage 2 for NRLFW and my #'s for SL are squat 125#, OHP 55#, DL 140#, BP 75#, BR 100#. I have taken SL slowly, focusing on form and not pushing up my weight as fast as recommended. I do those 2 programs together in one session three days per week - with minimal rest times I complete it in about 60 to 75 mins. On non lifting days I do a bootcamp 1x/wk, 1 hr. kickboxing 1x/wk, and 1 hr. RMP (spinning) 1x/wk. Then on the 7th day I either rest, walk, or do elliptical. It is very typical for me to work out 7 days per week. I have been doing this for 2 years and it works for me and my body. My issue is that I have not lost any significant weight since adding the weightlifting to my exercise program. Maybe 2 pounds in that last 8 weeks or so. I do feel "tighter" but at 190 pounds I obviously have more fat to lose. What should I do? Keep going? I am thinking I will hear that I am gaining muscle and losing fat, but to what extend? How much muscle can I possibly be gaining while eating in a deficit of (to my best ability to measure via FitBit HR and MFP) close to 1000 cals per day. Any why is this not translating to a loss on the scale? Also, although I always push myself to lift as heavy as I can, I don't sweat it too much that I have kept the same SL numbers for some time. I figure I can't expect to gain too much muscle and should be happy to just maintain what I have and thus not worry about increasing my weight on the bar. Does this make sense? Can I really expect to make huge gains right now? Really just hoping to find someone with similar experience to give me some perspective or advice. How long until I can drop this weight? I have always been a slow loser (I have low testosterone and high cortisol) but I work my butt off at the gym and stay as close to my calorie goals as possible 90% of the time. What gives?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You will not be gaining muscle at this point, just maintaining as much as possible lifting in a deficit. You may still be able to make strength gains. If you aren't losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. Do you weigh and measure everything you eat? It's possible you have recomped a bit, but if you want to lose more, you have to make sure you remain in a deficit.