• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Will do. Have a appointment end of the month. Thanks
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    jada8023 wrote: »
    @emilk2016 can you please tell me what the overhead squats and overhead walking lunges are?

Sorry just caught this! Looks like some others answered .. ill use a barbell for the squats (im still just shy of lifting 100 pounds but whatevs, it's a super hard movement) and a plate for the lunges but dumbbells are tougher because it's harder to stabilize. Form is super important (and mobility), take your time though. I like all the overhead movements because it's all core stability plus other strength stuff. Handstands are fun too...
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I have 5 kiddos ages 8-1 so I do have diaStis recti but I don't want to avoid my stomach area. Was doing planks got up to 4 minutes then was told to NOT do exercises where you are pushing stomach out, sit upS, planks... now not sure what to do.

just reread your post that you DO have diastis recti- sorry never mind.. don't listen to me until you ask a professional! If you still have separation after one year post partum that's definitely a question for your dr...
  • _Phill727
    _Phill727 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever do GHD sit ups? They shred my core quicker than anything
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think ab rope pull downs, wipers, leg raises (toes to bar) and suit cases with a dumbbell between your feet are the best.

I will never do a crunch, plank, situp or side lean those are a waste of time in my opinion.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My friend with diastisis swears by the MuTu system for closing the gap--worth looking into and asking your doctor.

https://mutusystem.com/mutu-system-feb
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Most of everything above is a waste of time if your hitting all your compound lifts passionately. Bleh, I sometimes do abs just to show off a bit but we can do something better with our time.
    I get it tho. Sometimes I wrap things up with a few leg lifts just so not only do I look tight, but I feel tight. Peace of mind perhaps.
    Anyways I'm 36, full time job, with children and I was overweight from adolescents and into my 20's. All I do is eat sensible and squeeze the core on "EVERYTHING" else I do. Especially on those unilateral movements, half the workout is on the core when training unilaterally.
  • fit4lifee1986
    fit4lifee1986 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ab roller!
  • stripeybelly
    stripeybelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yoga.
  • hanibunni
    hanibunni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Deadlift, squat, hanging leg raises & Turkish get ups :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I lost 36#, dropped my BF to 12% and developed a "6 pack" by eating well w/o ever doing an ab specific exercise in the past 9 months.

Just DL, SQT, BP, OHP plus pushups, pullups, dips, sissy squats and GHRs (not GHD situps, they're dangerous!). Also rowed and biked and did some farmer's walks, tractor tire flips, sled push/pulls and battle rope sessions early on.

FWIW, it's really all about eating well to reduce body fat and doing exercises that build strength, burn cals and engage your core. Nothing else really matters. Just saying . . .
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Please do not do any type of abdominal exercise until you get GOOD and CORRECT advice from a professional. You can actually do more harm than good with the wrong abdominal exercises or even by doing the right abdominal exercises the wrong way. There are people out there who specifically work as personal trainers for women during pregnancy and after and they have a much better knowledge on what should be done and how it should be done.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Please do not do any type of abdominal exercise until you get GOOD and CORRECT advice from a professional. You can actually do more harm than good with the wrong abdominal exercises or even by doing the right abdominal exercises the wrong way. There are people out there who specifically work as personal trainers for women during pregnancy and after and they have a much better knowledge on what should be done and how it should be done.

Yes. Yes. All the Yes. And please do not neglect doing your pelvic floor exercises.

I'm the voice of experience here---please heed my warning and avoid your own pain. I was lifting heavy, in the absolute best shape of my life and had visible ab definition (after 4 babies!). But...I never bothered with pelvic floor exercises bc I wasn't having any obvious issues. Then I was feeling awesome, did a ton of squat jumps in between my accessory lifts, did a super hard ab workout (15 min of double leg raises, toe taps, slow bicycles, etc), then did intervals (rest at 6.7 mph, getting up to 9 mph for sprints). Felt so good...until my pelvic floor gave out.

So yeah, get a dr and a PT to get your abs rehabbed and your pelvic floor strong before diving into abs.