Wings!!!

Options
raquel66
raquel66 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
My husband and I have been trying to get healthy together since the New Year. Nine years ago we quit smoking together as a New Years resolutions and it stuck. Hopefully this resolution will stick too :)

We've lost about 30 lbs each and are pumped!! However, we really miss our wing night lol. We used to always make them at home or order them and have definitely been having the craving lately. Does anyone have a recipe that tastes great and where we don't have to look at each other guiltily with sauce on our faces afterwards?

Thanks!!

Replies

• andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any healthy recipes I've tried have just been disappointing and depressing, lol. I just work them into my week. If you plan ahead, it's really easy to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do these...

http://ifoodblogger.com/baked-chicken-wings-extra-crispy/

Though they take longer than the recipe states, but that might be due to living at a high elevation...not sure. I think they're terrific and we usually just use Frank's Redhot Buffalo sauce.

Extra-Crispy-Baked-Chicken-Wings-2.jpg
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ooooo... I've been baking them (nothing on them, just a greased rack over a cookie sheet) and they get decently crisp on a rack, but I'm totally trying the baking powder in that recipe next time. Tossing them in a little hot sauce (just enough to coat) keeps the calories a little more in check opposed to mixing the sauce with the melted butter. I didn't miss the butter personally.

ETA: Crap. I really want wings.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I would have them one night a week. You deserve it! It's awesome that you both quit smoking and have lost all that weight too.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not buy wings because I cant justify the calories, especially in fried wings. I guess I could bake them at home, but nah. If I go out with my mom she usually order wings so i will have one or two of hers and that is how I get my wing fix.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    errbody got their weird-food things, the stuff they don't eat in front of other people except for the very, very select few who already know and accept all your flaws.

mine is/was some dark heavy bread like pumpernickel, toasted to death and then spread with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil and louisiana hot sauce. ideally, i'd want some cold roast beef to go on top of it, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do even when there's no roast beef around.

just in case it's the hot sauce you're craving as much as the wings. thought i'd come out of the weird-food closet and mention.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    We eat hotdogs on Fridays. I simply work it into my diary for the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love grilled wings. If starting with frozen we bake them for a bit then put on the grill to crisp them up. If fresh we just put them directly on the grill. We eat wings one or twice a month and did the entire time I was losing weight.

Edit: If you have a smoker, smoked wings are also awesome!
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    For those of you craving wings but dont want to get the additional fat and calories... simple. Skin them, salt + pepper, bake them and then toss in your fav sauce. Done.

My problem is I like the kind of sauce with about a pound of butter in it, lol.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    For those of you craving wings but dont want to get the additional fat and calories... simple. Skin them, salt + pepper, bake them and then toss in your fav sauce. Done.

But the skin is the best bit! I think I'd rather just have a few less than have them skinless.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

But the skin is the best bit! I think I'd rather just have a few less than have them skinless.

Me too! There wouldn't be enough food left to make it worth the effort to me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat them, I gain weight, the next few days I lose weight. The gain is not permanent so at worst it will slow you down a bit