Female, BMI 15.9: how many calories should I eat to gain weight?

Options
I consulted a dietitian but she was reluctant to give a specific number of calories. I pressed and she said "about 1,600" but I know my body and that I can barely maintain on that number of calories. I have trouble eating due to anxiety and easily lose weight, but find it very difficult to gain.

I've tried not calorie counting and just eating as much as I felt I could for the past month, and the result of that is that I've lost 3lbs. I suspect the only way I will gain weight is if I do start counting calories, and aim for a goal higher than 1,600 ... but what should that be? 2,000? 2,500? even 3,000?

I seem to have a 'fast metabolism'. I think my body burns a lot of calories simply through being very anxious most of the time. I exercise also, which obviously burns calories, but it's also one of the few things that helps me to reduce my anxiety, which makes it harder and harder to eat as it gets worse, so I don't want to stop.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, and thank you if you took the time to read this. :)

ETA: I'm very tall, and to reach the healthy weight range I would have to gain a bare minimum of 20lbs...

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    put your current stats into MFP, and select the gain weight at 1lb per week option. start with this number of calories. adjust after 2-4 weeks depending what the scale says.

And to add to this excellent advice- MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories. Start by logging them and eating back 50%. If you are not gaining at 1lbs a week increase the percentage you eat back until you are.

If you find it easier up your calories gradually over a couple of weeks.

Cheers, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    And if you're doing a lot of exercise,don't forget to log that as well and eat back the calories.
    I'd say 1600 is on the low side- mfp puts me at that to maintain and I'm 5' 3 and aged 61,only lightly active.
  • harmonicDanute
    harmonicDanute Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions. MFP says about 2,500kcal to gain 1 pound a week with my current stats, so I'm going to try this. I'll be sure to log my exercise as well and try to eat back calories, thanks very much for that tip :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    That is a big jump in calories for you. Don't worry if you have to do it in a couple of stages so you don't feel overwhelmed and give up.

Cheers, and good luck, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    You could try starting at a gain of .5 per week and see how you get on.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    how tall/current weight? I'd probably take a look at a TDEE calculator

I took a guess - used 5'"10 and some reverse BMI calculations to get 15.9 (approx. 111lbs)

https://mytdee.com/#gender=female&yr=19&cm=177.8&kg=52.2&bfp=&goal=gain&gain_speed=cautious&formula=standard&units=imperial&exercise=lightly

recommends you eat about 2000 a day to gain weight but if you have been eating significantly under that - you may want to slowly increase your calories over a few weeks
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    recommends you eat about 2000 a day to gain weight but if you have been eating significantly under that - you may want to slowly increase your calories over a few weeks

I completely agree with this. I am 5'11 at 100 pounds, and for the first few months on here, I just worked on reaching my maintenance level. It took a while to even get there, but I eventually was able to reach it on a more consistent basis. It's all about finding the perfect balance. Now, I have it set at gaining .5 pounds, but there are times where I can easily eat enough calories to gain 1-2lbs!

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    An easy way to get more calories in is eating nuts. Most nuts are 750-800 calories per cup.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Harmonic you need to give us your weight and body fat for us to give you a more accurate number. But I'll give you an example assuming you weight 110 and are really low body fat, 12%.

Assuming you are going to hit the gym and lift heavy at least 4 times a week.

2150 calories. Minimum 120g of protein. Minimum 43g of fat. Max 215g of carbs. Lower your carbs a little of you go over protein or fat too much. If you go too high above in calories you will build way more fat than you want.

And like the guy said above. Nuts are ez calories. Pancakes and pizza go a long way too. #1 focus is that protein number and the rest of calories just fill them as you please.
  • Niples_
    Options
    Oh Look, I missed the female part. NO WAY you are 12% body fat. New numbers. For let's say 22% body fat.
  • Niples_
    Options
    There was a typo on the carbs in the otherone anyways.

Calories, 1950, protein 120g, fat 40g, Carb 275. But that's assuming 110 lbs and 22% bodyfat.
  • Niples_
    Options
    Oh and 3 liters of water a day.
  • nycsurfergal
    nycsurfergal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One good go-to for calories is what I eat during endurance rides: Whole wheat bread, nut butter, honey and banana sandwiches. It's dense in macros. Also, smoothies using whole milk products.
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »
    Oh Look, I missed the female part. NO WAY you are 12% body fat. New numbers. For let's say 22% body fat.

She has said she is at least 20lbs underweight with a BMI of 15, her profile says she's 19 which means 22% would be bordering ideal and average. Her body fat percentage is likely much lower than that being so underweight.