If I don't activate my muscles I don't get good results

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? I feel like I have to constantly activate my muscles in order to feel something in my workouts, otherwise I won't get much out of it, but doing static workouts on top is strength training is time consuming.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to increase the weight the muscle is moving if you have to actively think about using it.

Some lifts you can start with bad form and use not the best muscles, and suffer later as progress is much slower.

If this is like some aerobics class not really moving weight - ya - those will stop being workouts at some point because you can only move your arms/legs so fast to the beat - can't increase the load to progress though.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do? Just add weight slowly on all exercises. It's that simple really
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Isn't activating the muscles the point?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What do you mean?

If I am doing higher rep low weight work, yes, I will be concentrating more on the muscle. And while it's important to have a mind-muscle connection, you shouldn't be overthinking it.
  • ChristineCoen
    ChristineCoen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing now? Can you breakdown your week for me and then I can get a better sense of what you're kissing. Also what do you mean by workouts that don't activate your muscles?- like treadmill or Elliptical cardio?
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I dont understand.

Maybe you are overthinking this?

Whats your exercise week like?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    jack.gif
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other statements, if you're really having to focus on using that particular muscle you need to add some more weight.