Low Carb- High Protein Meal Ideas

Options
TDombovy23
TDombovy23 Posts: 3 Member
I'm looking for recipes that are Low Carb, High Protein that are also kid approved and budget friendly. The worst thing about having low carbs and high protein is that I notice Im cooking meals for the kids and then a meal for myself. Need some ideas that work for everyone...ideas please!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    disregard
  • judypet
    judypet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding how you make the taco shells!
  • judypet
    judypet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds good
  • varneyr78
    varneyr78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Ezekiel Pizza"

1 Ezekiel brand wrap (usually in frozen food section of organic aisle)
    1/4 cup of low sugar (5 grams or less per serving) pizza sauce
    1/2 chopped onions, mushrooms and green peppers
    3-4 oz of chopped chicken (already made)
    Either a serving of mozzarella cheese to top or I use a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
    Fresh basil to top
    *Sometimes I use a tablespoon of REAL bacon bits as well
    Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes and the last couple of minutes, I broil it.

Guys, I use this recipe 1-2x a week. It's delicious!!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is kid friendly, but cobb salad is my go to protein power house meal. Lettuce, tomato, grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, bacon, avocado and blue cheese or shredded colby jack. I use Litehouse yogurt ranch or homemade vinegarette as a dressing.
  • walkingshoes
    walkingshoes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Homemade Hamburger Helper: Simple and quick. I food process cauliflower with shredder so it is rice-like (can buy it this way now sometimes), Brown ground beef and onion and drain, toss in with cauliflower and saute to soften "rice" and add a can or 2 of cream of mushroom soup and beef broth. So yummy the kids like it. Kinda like Hamburger Helper. A comfort food for us.

Unstuffed cabbage rolls - get a recipe online. You can skip the rice or add cauliflower or other veggies in its place.
  • jgum67
    jgum67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mkdkqbek4 wrote: »
    6 large eggs
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
    1⁄2 cup crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
    salt and pepper
    Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Butter or spray quiche or pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
    Beat the eggs with the cream.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Add the cheese and bacon, mix well.
    Pour into the pan.
    Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Sounds good
  • AuntKatieD
    AuntKatieD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do kids like eggrolls? Take 1lb of burger or chicken - cook & shred in pan - add a bag of prechopped coleslaw to pan with a little extra oil. Steam down the slaw. Add soy sauce to taste. Can add onions, shrooms, or other veggies - more like stir fry only easier. inside out egg rolls.
  • marisolandrades78
    marisolandrades78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe, but I sometimes swap out pasta noodles and make zucchini noodles. If you don't have the little noodle maker, you can use you potato peeler and just slice then that way. I basically use the zoodle in place of pasta. Also you can also use spaghetti squash for a swap out as well.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe, but I sometimes swap out pasta noodles and make zucchini noodles. If you don't have the little noodle maker, you can use you potato peeler and just slice then that way. I basically use the zoodle in place of pasta. Also you can also use spaghetti squash for a swap out as well.

Along that line, I make a turkey-eggplant "lasagna," with eggplant slices being the "noodles." Slice the eggplant lengthwise and thin. You'll have two "outer slices" which are mostly eggplant skin; I finely dice them up and let them become part of the sauce. Otherwise, very much like a regular lasagna (turkey, not beef, ricotta, sauce, etc.). Bunches of recipes online.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is kid friendly, but cobb salad is my go to protein power house meal. Lettuce, tomato, grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, bacon, avocado and blue cheese or shredded colby jack. I use Litehouse yogurt ranch or homemade vinegarette as a dressing.

When I was a kid I loved salads!
  • MrsMertel
    MrsMertel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We stick with a protein and a veggie for all of us and the kids and my hubby get to add rice, some other grain, potato or a slice of bread to their meal.
    Keep it simple and everyone is happy!
    Examples:
    Ground meat tacos (P=Protein, V=Veggie) kids and hubby eat on shells or tortilla, I eat mine on Romaine lettuce leaves
    Chicken any which way with a side of veggie everyone likes normally green bean or asparagus (P+V) the kids get a grain added
    Flank steak and some other veggie (P+V) (I also save the extra steak for lunch salads for me) same thing-add a loaf of french bread for the carb eaters.

Meat and veggie combos really are fast to make and most kids have at least one veggie you can make. Sometimes I make a couple veggie sides for the kids to choose from (roasted carrots or broccoli) one they love and one I want them to love.

Keep it simple and easy I say!
    Oh and all the leftovers go to my lunches.