Gain weight and muscle?

Options
My main goal is to gain weight, but I also wanna gain muscle, so how can I gain weight and muscle at the same time? Or is that not a thing? Thoughts?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup that is what many people in this forum are doing by eating in surplus and lifting weights.. you will gain muscle but some fat will come along with that. Check out the stickies at the top for more info:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226536/bulking-for-beginners/p1

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat all the food... and lift heavy stuff.
  • BodyByYouChicago
    BodyByYouChicago Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Legit Mia,

Gaining muscle will cause you to gain weight. The goal when eating in a caloric surplus is to minimize the amount of fat you gain while gaining the most amount of muscle.

Good luck!

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • Legit_Mia
    Legit_Mia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Legit Mia,

Gaining muscle will cause you to gain weight. The goal when eating in a caloric surplus is to minimize the amount of fat you gain while gaining the most amount of muscle.

Good luck!

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Yep! Easier said then done lol
  • se015
    Options
    Legit_Mia wrote: »
    My main goal is to gain weight, but I also wanna gain muscle, so how can I gain weight and muscle at the same time? Or is that not a thing? Thoughts?

You can look into recomposition plans which basically means you maintain your weight and slowly build muscle, but often people do bulk and cutting cycles. Whichever you prefer and whichever you think would work best for your goals
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Why would tell some who wants to gain weight to recomposition?
  • se015
    Options
    Well if they don't want to gain any fat I guess. Some people have a hard time understanding that they will gain some fat when gaining muscle.
  • se015
    Options
    She also said she wanted to gain muscle, not just gain weight.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    "Main goal is gain weight". By definition, one of the key points of recomposition is to maintain the same weight. So she is going to have to be in a surplus along with the weight lifting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    She also said she wanted to gain muscle, not just gain weight.
    Legit_Mia wrote: »

Main goal is weight gain therefore a bulk is the only possible solution.

OP eat in a surplus and follow a structured program such as Starting Strength.