Intermittent Fasting

Options
Im just starting an intermittent fasting program to develop lean muscle. Does anyone have some suggestions for recipes for meals?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mjvarca4 wrote: »
    Im just starting an intermittent fasting program to develop lean muscle. Does anyone have some suggestions for recipes for meals?

IF doesn't develop muscle. Are you following a progressive overload lifting program? Are you tracking your macros? Are you actually bulking or trying to lose fat?
  • annteja
    annteja Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is not any kind of diet but just define when you can and can't eat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie surplus
    Lift weights

• BrodyChapelle
    BrodyChapelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're getting into intermittent fasting I recommend Brandon Carter's videos on YouTube. He's the most modest, straight up fellow around on the subject, for the most part.
  • joneedolla
    joneedolla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Agree with trigden. You're not going to build much if any muscle fasting. Maybe beginner gains, but that won't last long.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jsho27 wrote: »
    Agree with trigden. You're not going to build much if any muscle fasting. Maybe beginner gains, but that won't last long.

I guess you haven't heard of leangains then? You can gain muscle with IF, if you can get enough calories. But many people will find it's a struggle to get adequate calories and appropriate macronutrients by doing so.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

That is not what I was saying. I use IF and have built muscle just fine.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I know you believe this guy, right?
    8wv1lyd7d6cg.jpg

Beginner gains?
    You are way off on this one and I recommend that you do some research (leangains as mentioned above).

The summary points are:
    -IF is making a conscious decision to skip certain meals.
    -During an IF your body doesn’t have a recently consumed meal to use as energy, so it is more likely to pull from the fat stored in your body, rather than the glucose in your blood stream or glycogen in your muscles/liver.
    -Rather than having to prepare, pack, eat, and time your meals every 2-3 hours, you simply skip a meal or two and only worry about eating food in your eating window.
    -One draw back is the "adjustment" - yes you will be miserable to start off with so I would suggest a gradual adjustment doing once or twice a week (up the duration of the fast).
    --Read if you do it too quickly there's always the risk that you'll give up or perhaps just go crazy gorging yourself without getting good macros
    ucv24ldauvh0.jpg

Just to be clear IF is not "this" -- there's nothing magical about it.
    udlaupkjslg9.png
    So, don’t expect to drop to 8% body fat and get ripped just by skipping breakfast. You need to focus on building healthy habits, eating better foods, and getting stronger.

..And it is correct to assert that it is possible to make similar advancement without using IF.
    The beauty, however, is the simplicity and the flexibility that it provides for a busy schedule.

As far as developing muscle, this really boils down to your training program...
    0sh4hj81xf8k.jpg
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    I've lost about 60 lbs by fasting and eating only from 12 pm - 8 pm. And I'm strong and I've got muscles. Besides.. some of the best athletes in my sport (crossfit) Do fasting and a diet called zone together.. They keep gaining muscles so don't listen to any crap about not being able to gain if you fast.

While i don't disagree with what you are saying (for the most part), there are a lot of people who confuse neurological adaptations in your muscles and lowering body fat with gaining muscle. They are probably strong and continuing to gain strength (especially in the first year or so), but I wouldn't be so sure they just keep gaining muscle. But that is largely being overly semantic.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If I had to eat my 3300-3500 calories in a specific eating window, I would definitely fail.. so would not be helpful for me. It can be done, but if you are already struggling to get the cals in, I wouldn't recommend it. Basically.. as soon as I wake up I eat.. and right before I lie down for bed, I eat. Oh and if it's 4am and I'm hungry? I eat.. no rules :)
  • gabby3265
    gabby3265 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Am a beginner here, but as far as I know you'll get more definition on your muscles if you do intermittent fasting ... more when you're small and you want to get muscle without getting forcing yourself to eat..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    gabby3265 wrote: »
    Am a beginner here, but as far as I know you'll get more definition on your muscles if you do intermittent fasting ... more when you're small and you want to get muscle without getting forcing yourself to eat..

You wont get more definition by doing IF. And if anything IF will cause people to force feed themselves since they have a smaller window to eat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    _Bro wrote: »
    I know you believe this guy, right?
    8wv1lyd7d6cg.jpg

Beginner gains?
    You are way off on this one and I recommend that you do some research (leangains as mentioned above).

The summary points are:
    -IF is making a conscious decision to skip certain meals.

IF doesnt mean skipping certain meals. I skip NO meals most days. my IF is 16:8. I eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. sometimes more.I stop eating a certain time at night and dont eat until a certain time the next day. I make all my meals fit in that time window.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gabby3265 wrote: »

Nope