You are Your Own Gym versus Body By You

Options
StealthHealth
StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
There was a discussion over on the which is the best lifting program thread about the differences between these two books so here are a few photos.

Replies

• littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Which??
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cover

rgp2rfdvjz2g.jpg
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Table of contents (YAYOG on left BBY on right) fgftp99ifpqg.jpg
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Example of Squat detail pages (YAYOG left BBY Right)

vjurd6s3yaa1.jpg
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I prefer the one that doesn't have a topless man on it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Why in the world is he encouraging the restriction of knee movement over the toes?!?
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    YAYOG program selection and week 1 of basic prog.

dnaoi566q65l.jpg
  • StealthHealth
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BBY evaluation days

hacvadmqgo2m.jpg

and Cycle 1 weeks 1 and 2

f8ngumvt9ll5.jpg
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,113 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Why in the world is he encouraging the restriction of knee movement over the toes?!?

For the same reason many other trainers do, because until recently (last 10 or so years or maybe a bit more) that was what every trainer was taught as the way to avoid knee issues. Studies have shown that it is not as important as a people thought, but it takes time, usually lots of it, for things to change. YAYOG is still one of the better bodyweight training books out there at the moment.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,113 Member
    Options
    As to which it better, they are the same author, so I am guessing that while there may be variations, both are probably good. They also probably have a lot of similarities.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Maybe having two books was more of a gender marketing thing? (To attract women or men, based on the cover.)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Maybe having two books was more of a gender marketing thing? (To attract women or men, based on the cover.)

Maybe!

I'm the one guilty of asking the original question over on the other thread - both books are available at my library and I wondered which one I should read, and if there were any major differences between them. :)

Anyone have any recommendations or comments based on their own experiences with either book?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    The one on the right came out two years later and is targeted at women. Since he trained special forces, his first book was probably targeted at men.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I only own YAYOG. He talks himself up a lot; the first third or so of the book is him talking about how awesome he is. and I can't figure out why he included a little story about having a hangover right in the middle of explaining an exercise. I like the workouts though.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    I only own YAYOG. He talks himself up a lot; the first third or so of the book is him talking about how awesome he is. and I can't figure out why he included a little story about having a hangover right in the middle of explaining an exercise. I like the workouts though.

Interesting - perhaps he did that to make himself easier to relate to and seem like "one of the guys"? I don't mind a bit of background to how an author got to the point they're at or why they decided to write the book (especially if they have a "fat to fit" kind of story to tell which might inspire me), but if I'm reading it for the program I feel like I don't need to spend too much time getting to know the author!

If I'd never heard of YAYOG before then I'd be put off of reading the first one just from the cover, because I'd presume it was aimed squarely at men who want to look like that and might not have anything to say to me. It's only because I've seen it mentioned on these forums that I even considered it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Maybe!

I'm the one guilty of asking the original question over on the other thread - both books are available at my library and I wondered which one I should read, and if there were any major differences between them. :)

Anyone have any recommendations or comments based on their own experiences with either book?

The programmes are much the same, a bit of language that's a bit more mass-market gendered; toning etc.

The early part does bang on a bit, but that's typical of books written by former "SF".

It's a solid programme, regardless of variant.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine. I'm more familiar with the YAYOG app, but the difference in books is likely relatability to men vs women as already stated.
  • Sara1791
    Options

Interesting - perhaps he did that to make himself easier to relate to and seem like "one of the guys"? I don't mind a bit of background to how an author got to the point they're at or why they decided to write the book (especially if they have a "fat to fit" kind of story to tell which might inspire me), but if I'm reading it for the program I feel like I don't need to spend too much time getting to know the author!

If I'd never heard of YAYOG before then I'd be put off of reading the first one just from the cover, because I'd presume it was aimed squarely at men who want to look like that and might not have anything to say to me. It's only because I've seen it mentioned on these forums that I even considered it.

My husband, a hard-working, non-athletic, creative type, was put off by what he perceived as posturing on the cover and in the book. So, maybe the author is going for gender but he's missing the mark in what is probably an under served segment of the population.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

My husband, a hard-working, non-athletic, creative type, was put off by what he perceived as posturing on the cover and in the book. So, maybe the author is going for gender but he's missing the mark in what is probably an under served segment of the population.

one of the reasons why Kavadlo and the other dragon door authors are more popular in certain circles.
  • Sara1791
    Options

one of the reasons why Kavadlo and the other dragon door authors are more popular in certain circles.

Thanks, I'll look into it.