Alcohol doesn't cause weight gain?

Options
Hoshiko
Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Can anyone help explain this concept to me? It's breaking my brain!

A few days ago someone made a comment here about alcohol calories being unable to convert to fat stores (I'm sorry, if I could remember where I saw it I would ask you by name!) I thought that there was no way that could be right, so I looked it up and sure enough they were right.

What I don't understand is how alcohol can have calories at all (energy) and not contribute overall to weight gain. So, even if you're not converting it to fat, wouldn't you still be using up that energy at the exclusion of other food that you're eating? And if it's true, then why don't alcoholics lose massive amounts of weight?

It just feels so counter-intuitive. I know it's probably a lot to get into over a message board but if anyone knowledgable about nutrition could point me to some (hopefully peer-reviewed) info I'd appreciate it.

And no, I'm not just asking because it's St. Paddy's Day

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has to be metabolized out of the system. So until that's done, NO OTHER ENERGY SOURCE is utilized. That means no calories burned from carbs and fat. So if one continues to drink alcohol with every meal, and even if they accounted for the calories from food, if they don't account for the calories from alcohol, they will gain weight.
    Alcohol especially isn't great before going to sleep since this is when you actually burn the most stored body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    1g of pure alcohol = 7kcal and there's 28g to an ounce so a shot of 200 proof liquor (1oz) = 196kcal of "empty" calories, proofs of liquor, mixed drinks, and beers will vary with alcohol content and calories, but yes..you can still drink alcoholic beverages and lose weight if you know what your doing ; )
  • Hoshiko
    Options
    Ok, that's what I thought.

But let's say I eat my usual 1600 cals, and then drink another 400 cals of pure tequila on top of that (which I would never do, I'm more of a beer girl.) While my body was metabolizing the alcohol it wouldn't process the food, but would those 400 cals contribute to my daily calorie intake? Or would it just put things on pause while my body broke down the alcohol, and then go back to burning the food?

I guess my main question is do those alcohol calories contribute to my overall energy intake, or are they just used to burn themselves, so to speak?
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Alcohol is weird but I still count the cals and don't fudge them, it's still CICO. If it makes me undershoot a little in calorie estimate while on a nutrient dense core diet, no harm. Keep it simple.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    Ok, that's what I thought.

But let's say I eat my usual 1600 cals, and then drink another 400 cals of pure tequila on top of that (which I would never do, I'm more of a beer girl.) While my body was metabolizing the alcohol it wouldn't process the food, but would those 400 cals contribute to my daily calorie intake? Or would it just put things on pause while my body broke down the alcohol, and then go back to burning the food?

I guess my main question is do those alcohol calories contribute to my overall energy intake, or are they just used to burn themselves, so to speak?
    ALL calories contribute to your overall energy intake.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Hoshiko
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

So the body utilizes those calories for energy? It just can't store the excess as fat?

What percentage of those calories are used to process the alcohol itself, then?

I know it seems like I'm overthinking it and getting too technical but I just really don't understand how something can have calories, be processed as energy by the body and yet not be stored as fat by the body.

And none of this changes my logging habits in any way. I'm just curious.
  • Hoshiko
    Options
    It was me who stated this, I'm sure. The other two posters already covered the why.

This is why there is a correlation between being underweight for heavy drinkers among females (they tend to not eat when on a bender) vs. overweight in males (as they tend to eat large amounts of bar food and the like).

Thank you! I'm sure it was you. I looked for evidence of a correlation between weight and alcohol intake but all I could find was bodybuilding forums-type sources. I'll keep looking but that makes more sense.
  • Hoshiko
    Options

It did help, thank you!

"In fact, large, long-term studies published in the Archives of Internal Medicine and International Journal of Obesity found that middle-aged and older women who drank moderately (about one drink a day) gained less weight over time than those who never imbibed at all; they were also less likely to become obese."

Stuff like this blows my mind because it's so counter to what I was taught about alcohol. But good news for me, I guess.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So the body utilizes those calories for energy? It just can't store the excess as fat?

I know it seems like I'm overthinking it and getting too technical but I just really don't understand how something can have calories, be processed as energy by the body and yet not be stored as fat by the body.

The way I understand is... since it can't be stored, it is used for your current energy needs, and then any food you've eaten is stored instead. So if you eat your 1600 calories along with 400 cals of alcohol, your body will use 1200 calories of food, 400 calories of alcohol, and then that last 400 cals of food isn't needed so it gets stored.

Honestly, the short answer is - yes those calories count so log them! It's really only if you are displacing a lot of food you should be eating with alcohol that the specifics come into play in a measurable manner, if I understand correctly.
  • Hoshiko
    Options
    I think that's the part I was missing. I just assumed the food would sit there for a while because it couldn't be processed or used. Didn't occur to me that it could be stored as fat that quickly, but that does make sense.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yes and yes.
    No idea. Just know that until alcohol is metabolized, no other energy sources get burned.

Unlike fat or carbs, alcohol is directly absorbed into the bloodstream and then to the liver. The liver senses it not as carbs or fat, so it produces enzymes to metabolize it right away. Since it's the PRIMARY energy used till it's metabolized, that's WHY it never gets stored as excess. It's also toxic to the body. Unlike fat or carbs where you can overeat them and just get fat, uncontrolled consumption of alcohol WILL KILL YOU. Hope that answered your questions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    So I presume if you consume nothing but alcohol you won't store any fat but you will die pretty quick
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So I presume if you consume nothing but alcohol you won't store any fat but you will die pretty quick
    Yep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Hoshiko
    Options
    Unlike fat or carbs, alcohol is directly absorbed into the bloodstream and then to the liver. The liver senses it not as carbs or fat, so it produces enzymes to metabolize it right away. Since it's the PRIMARY energy used till it's metabolized, that's WHY it never gets stored as excess. It's also toxic to the body. Unlike fat or carbs where you can overeat them and just get fat, uncontrolled consumption of alcohol WILL KILL YOU. Hope that answered your questions.

It did. Way to crush my dreams!

Just kidding, I appreciate the insight :)

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think that's the part I was missing. I just assumed the food would sit there for a while because it couldn't be processed or used. Didn't occur to me that it could be stored as fat that quickly, but that does make sense.

The food will be digested and stored. As niner explained, the alcohol doesn't need digested and that's why it is processed first.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

It did help, thank you!

"In fact, large, long-term studies published in the Archives of Internal Medicine and International Journal of Obesity found that middle-aged and older women who drank moderately (about one drink a day) gained less weight over time than those who never imbibed at all; they were also less likely to become obese."

Stuff like this blows my mind because it's so counter to what I was taught about alcohol. But good news for me, I guess.

This is so wrong, but reading this, the thing that popped into my mind was "A shot a day keeps the fat away." Bwahahaha. sorry, had to share.