Does anyone have any tips on Gaining Weight while on a Paleo Diet?

Options
On a Paleo diet to fix my leaky gut which has been giving me issues, but I lost 15 kg in proccess over a year. Does anyone have any tips on how to maintain/gain or can reccomend any high carb Paleo foods in particular veggies.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Consume more calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Lots of starchy vegies. Lots of fat.

Is there a reason you can't eat grains? (like rice or quinoa, or beans). There's no point sticking to a set of rules that may be overly restrictive for no reason, especially if you aren't able to get the results you want.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Fatty meats and seafood, nuts, seeds, nut and seed butters, oils, avocados, dried fruit, sweet potatoes, potatoes, winter squashes, olives, parsnips, turnips, taro, plantain, full fat coconut milk, tigernuts
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

Is there a reason you can't eat grains? (like rice or quinoa, or beans). There's no point sticking to a set of rules that may be overly restrictive for no reason, especially if you aren't able to get the results you want.

I thought that was the whole point of paleo though - no grains ?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

And I thought leaky gut was something related to gluten.... In which case eliminating all grains is unnecessary.
  • cityruss
    Options
    "Leaky gut" as talked about on here isn't even a thing.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leaky-gut-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

OP, consume more calories.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense paleo foods, as mentioned nuts, avocados, coconut milk to name a few I can think of off the top.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

And I thought leaky gut was something related to gluten.... In which case eliminating all grains is unnecessary.

True,but in any case I don't think leaky gut is a thing!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

TL;DR- by itself, it means not much of a damned thing. However, the things ascribed to it are symptoms of Crohn's Disease and celiac.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Can you increase your fat also? I don't know what your food restrictions would be or a leaky gut so with out that I will suggest avocados, nuts and seeds of all kinds, peanut butter, sweet potatoes, full fat dairy of all kinds, ice cream or frozen yogurt. Some breads are great like Dave's Killer Bread. One slice of that regular sized bread has 110 calories and 22 g of carbs. A sandwich made of that would be 220 calories and 44 g of carbs from bread alone. The thin version has about half o those values. Most vegetables are not going to have a ton of carbs unless you consider the root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, beets, turnips, radishes, etc..
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    A quick internet search for "paleo vegetables" if that is what you wanted. Tons of info.

I'm so happy to be free of these types of restrictions though. I love those foods, but I also love my pasta and sour dough french bread and I love all the gluten free grains, and vegan foods, and meats, and everything!! I lose and gain all according to amount of calories.

Paleo Diet Vegetables

Asparagus.
    Avocado.
    Artichoke hearts.
    Brussels sprouts.
    Carrots.
    Spinach.
    Celery.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    A pretty good chart right here at the top of the internet search for "paleo diet carbs". Why not try an internet search?

http://balancedbites.com/paleo-diet-carbs/
  • TomHinds86
    TomHinds86 Posts: 568 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    On a Paleo diet to fix my leaky gut which has been giving me issues, but I lost 15 kg in proccess over a year. Does anyone have any tips on how to maintain/gain or can reccomend any high carb Paleo foods in particular veggies.

Hi

Spirulina and broccoli have high amount of protein
    Happy to help
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TomHinds86 wrote: »

Hi

Happy to help

But not many carbs or calories.... Which the OP asked for
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi

Happy to help

How about Spam? Does Spam have a high amount of protein? What do you think about Spam?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Hi

Happy to help

How about Spam? Does Spam have a high amount of protein? What do you think about Spam?

Too much sodium for my tastes, but otherwise Spam with Hormel Bacon is good stuff. ;)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Broccoli is high in protein ?
  • cityruss
    Options
    Spam!

Reminds me of camping trips.
  • simonytin24
    simonytin24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options