Easy vegetarian recipes?

Options
mimapr
mimapr Posts: 27 Member
Hi! At my last yearly checkup doctor told me my bad cholesterol and blood sugar were high,especially the first one. :( He told me to make serious changes in diet and we chose vegetarian (allowing for some dairy, fish and eggs ), and of course the usual no refined grains, no saturated fat, etc. Since I cook for my family and they do eat meat, I need to have some go-to easy vegetarian recipes I can for myself while I'm making dinner for them. Any favorite ones you'd like to share with me? They may include eggs, fish or dairy, and I'm specially interested in consuming more legumes and vegetables. Thanks!!!

Replies

• sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Below are two sites I use often; they offer great variety and ideas to try new things.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/vegetarian/
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/
  • mimapr
    Options
    Thanks!!! Any tried and true ones on hose sites you'd like to share with me?
  • mskanakana
    mskanakana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was a vegetarian for 22years and just started eating chicken about a year ago. Just felt like I needed protein and less carbs. The website kitchn.com has a great recipe for red lentil soup. It's super easy and I make a ton (at least double the recipe) then I freeze individual servings for those nights when I have nothing prepared. It's my favorite go to recipe.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I made this last night: Vegetable Chili. It's so easy, delicious, and each serving has 5 of your 5 a day - you can't beat this! This vegetable lentil lasagna is also unreal, it sounds strange but the flavour is incredible. It is often requested when people come over for dinner.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I cook mostly vegetarian strictly out of preference. This soup is my very, very favorite. I add the kale (which is listed as optional) and thus don't have to worry about the parley/cilantro "garnish" to add green color. The flavor of this soup is perfection. http://vegangela.com/2013/06/06/easy-lemon-lentil-soup/
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh. My post disappeared. Apologies if this appears twice. This is an AWESOME veggie soup. Great flavor. I add the (optional) kale and don't worry about parsley/cilantro garnish. http://vegangela.com/2013/06/06/easy-lemon-lentil-soup/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My personal favorite is African Peanut Stew and it freezes wonderfully alongside cooked rice or cauliflower rice for easy freezer meals.

I also keep White Bean Soup in my freezer in portions.

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is African Peanut Stew and it freezes wonderfully alongside cooked rice or cauliflower rice for easy freezer meals.

Listen to her and make this stew! I've made a batch every week since I tried it. I just can't get enough of it! And I add quinoa to mine.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Made a vegetarian lasagna tonight loaded with veggies.

Also a quick an easy bean salad with olives, feta, spinach, carrot. Dressing g was Basalmic and olive oil.

vvjyldhz6avw.jpg

omg that looks amazing
  • aprildrake
    aprildrake Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Won't let me open the link
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    aprildrake wrote: »

Won't let me open the link

@aprildrake weird, I just tried it again without a problem. Both recipes are from www.budgetbytes.com
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i'm wild for zucchini and carrots, so i roast them with onions and mushrooms. toss in a bit of olive oil, roast at 400-450ish for 20 minutes or so, toss once or twice. and don't forget to be creative with spices and herbs, maybe add some broccoli or brussels sprouts, maybe some ginger? so good. pretty much any vegetable is delicious roasted this way.

wangdangle that onto some rice or pasta, serve it next to a salad with red wine vinegar and parmesan? omg yes please. or maybe put your roast veg into a tortilla or pita with some greens and tzatziki or some other sauce? how 'bout a poached egg on top? cheese?

roast veg, man! so simple, so delicious, so versatile!
  • 108maggie
    108maggie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised a vegetarian and mostly follow a vegan diet now. I recently came across the minimalist baker. She has a great vegetarian recipe blog and cook book. I also really love vegan Chef Chloe. She one cupcake wars for her vegan cupcakes. She has a perfect veggie burger recipe that meat eaters tested and loved. Check her out on YouTube. Best of luck on getting healthy.

• mimapr
    Options
    Can't reply to each post individually, don't know what's going on with my screen. But these recipes look fantastic, thanks for sharing, so so much. It is much more efficient to cook something for the first time if you know one of you has cooked it and loves it. I plan to try them all!! By the way, that salad in the photo looks amazing.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    mskanakana wrote: »
    Hi! I was a vegetarian for 22years and just started eating chicken about a year ago. Just felt like I needed protein and less carbs. The website kitchn.com has a great recipe for red lentil soup. It's super easy and I make a ton (at least double the recipe) then I freeze individual servings for those nights when I have nothing prepared. It's my favorite go to recipe.

She also has a super tasty spinach lasagna roll ups recipe even meat eaters will like that can be modifies with mushrooms or zucchini or eggplant. Or a combo.
  • MeginBliss
    MeginBliss Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Made a vegetarian lasagna tonight loaded with veggies.

Also a quick an easy bean salad with olives, feta, spinach, carrot. Dressing g was Basalmic and olive oil.

vvjyldhz6avw.jpg

Can I please have your lasagna recipe? I've never made a good lasagna, veggie or otherwise. I always fail miserably!

As for easy recipes here are a few of my favorites...

Chickpea Salad-
    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoon olive oil mayo or vegan mayo
    1/3 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 chopped cucumber
    1/2 stalks celery, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped onion

Mash chickpeas and mix all ingredients. I usually get 2-3 large servings or 4 small serving out of this. Eat in a lettuce wrap, with crackers, on a whole wheat bun, with a spoon, however you want.

Crockpot Vegetable Soup-
    3-4 Cups Vegetable Broth
    Frozen veggies of choice
    Lima beans
    Chickpeas
    1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/2 tablespoon each onion powder & garlic powder
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

Makes 6-8 servings. Very low cal and satisfying. Also tastes great over a baked sweet potato if you're looking for a starchy meal.

Baked Sweet Potato with Veggie Gravy-
    Bake a sweet potato then add 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 1/3 cup cold water to 1 cup vegetable stock. Sometimes I like to do a mock roast if I'm craving pot roast and cook baby carrots and onions in the broth before turning the broth into a gravy.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Tacos (makes 8 tacos)
    Mash 1 15oz can of black beans with some cumin
    In a skillet or cast iron griddle spritz with some olive oil (VERY LIGHTLY) and warm a corn tortilla on one side for about 15 seconds.
    Flip the tortilla and add 1/8th of the bean mixture and a TB of cheese (I like the Queso Fresco crumbly cheese) to one half.
    Fold the tortilla in half and cook about 2 minutes per side until the beans and cheese are warm and the tortilla is a bit crispy.
    Serve with Cilantro Lime Slaw (recipe below), green salsa, and a slice of avocado
    2 cups shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 TB chopped cilantro
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    1 tsp olive oil
    Salt & pepper
    Toss all ingredients together and serve on tacos.