Workout the fat but the fat won't let me! HELP!

Options
So I'm overweight and due to this I find walking for more than a few minutes painful to my left foot (plantar fasciitis) and my lower back (tightens up due to belly fat). Anytime I decide I'm going to workout it just feels like literal torture because I'm having to fight through the pain. Outside of a swimming, what else would you all recommend to the larger crowd who want to workout the fat but the fat makes it difficult to do so?

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Bicycling if you're into that sort of thing.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit. I agree with what rileysowner said as well.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I used to have it. I supplemented with Sure-Jell (that you use to make jelly and jam). I would put in in a 2 liter bottle of V8 juice and drink 4 ounces daily. After I stopped eating junk like white flour and sugar and lost 30 pounds it went away.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Then walk only a couple of minutes. Gradually build up your walking time.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    diet for a while until you lose enough weight to not make it so painful. When you are overweight, you dont have to do much to burn a lot of calories. So dont overwork yourself , just watch what you eat mostly.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit. I agree with what rileysowner said as well.

Some people need exercise to help create that deficit. With out exercise I am stuck eating a measly 1,200 calories a day and then the loss is still slow. Exercise helps create a better deficit while also increasing calorie allowance.

some people cant exercise ,while it helps create a bigger deficit if eating less,all thats needed is a deficit. I was not able to work out for 2+ months awhile back,I still lost weight lounging around due to an injury(metabolic disorder and all).exercise is great for your health sure, but many here cant exercise(disabled,in a wheelchair,etc). They still lose weight without exercise.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Some people need exercise to help create that deficit. With out exercise I am stuck eating a measly 1,200 calories a day and then the loss is still slow. Exercise helps create a better deficit while also increasing calorie allowance.

some people cant exercise ,while it helps create a bigger deficit if eating less,all thats needed is a deficit. I was not able to work out for 2+ months awhile back,I still lost weight lounging around due to an injury(metabolic disorder and all).exercise is great for your health sure, but many here cant exercise(disabled,in a wheelchair,etc). They still lose weight without exercise.

Some people WANT to and are looking for ways that they can manage it because of physical conditions. Which is what the OP wants. People are always so fast to shoot down people who are looking for exercise advice with, "You only need a deficit to lose weight!" That is not helping a person who wants exercise advice. That's all.

Also, being disabled does not mean a person "can't" exercise. It may bring a challenge, but they can still exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Some people WANT to and are looking for ways that they can manage it because of physical conditions. Which is what the OP wants. People are always so fast to shoot down people who are looking for exercise advice with, "You only need a deficit to lose weight!" That is not helping a person who wants exercise advice. That's all.

They are also telling her to lose the weight first because she is having certain issue with exercise(pain being one of them). they also gave her some advice on exercise she can try.I never said she didnt want to,I just said it wasnt needed.

I wasnt shooting anyone down either.some people think they can just workout and lose weight(not saying the OP thinks this but others may). sometimes it works,other times people come back and wonder why they arent losing even though they are working out and doing what they think they are supposed to.

Many newbies dont know you need to be in a deficit to lose weight. how she wants to achieve that deficit is up to her. I just merely stated that all that is needed is a deficit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    hand bike, battle ropes, swimming, rowing, yoga, pilates, TRX, skating or rollerblading, even games like bowling, billiards, or golf will drastically increase your steps.

I have to say though that an intentional increase in NON-Exercise along with a calorie deficit is going to be key. I tend to follow this approach with individuals who have injuries, arthritis, etc. It's better to control your calorie intake daily as opposed to trying to find ways to burn a ton of calories through exercise.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

They are also telling her to lose the weight first because she is having certain issue with exercise(pain being one of them). they also gave her some advice on exercise she can try.I never said she didnt want to,I just said it wasnt needed.

I wasnt shooting anyone down either.some people think they can just workout and lose weight(not saying the OP thinks this but others may). sometimes it works,other times people come back and wonder why they arent losing even though they are working out and doing what they think they are supposed to.

Many newbies dont know you need to be in a deficit to lose weight. how she wants to achieve that deficit is up to her. I just merely stated that all that is needed is a deficit.

I have read the whole thread. I am aware of the contents. She is looking for exercises that she can do with out irritating her plantar fasciitis. I offered my suggestion and so did some other people, In spite of being discouraged from exercise I hope the OP finds some type of exercise that works and helps her feel good.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I suffered from plantar fasciitis for far to long. While I know that being overweight sometimes our issues can be overshadowed by this and we get that response that weight loss will cure everything. I happen to have a great Dr. who did not believe this. One of the greatest things he gave me were a pair of heel cups (I recently bought a new pair on Amazon). I would and still do from time to time wear these in my socks at home, to sleep in, I kept them in for everything but showering. In the few times that I have have the issue come up again with this method in a few days the pain is all gone and back to barefoot I go.

One thing that he was honest about was that it was going to take about a year to heal and maybe a little less than that but after all the pain I had I was okay with just getting any little bit better.

As for exercise, while the advice that all in needed is a calorie deficit is true, I know you are trying and want to do all that you can but take your time. Just moving more to start with, it doesn't have to be defined exercise just try all sorts of ways to just move more. Get up and move/dance during commercials, just do some arm moves or something or make those extra steps just doing everyday things. I would make more trips to the dryer while doing laundry, or when you forgot that one thing on the other side of grocery store go for it. As time goes you will notice it gets easier and hopefully with some weight loss you will have less discomfort.

I wish you well with your foot and back, you can do this!!!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What has your doctor suggested?

If you have plantar fasciitis (Which I did), your doc can prescribe a regiment to get you going again, however, I'm not going to proffer medical advice here, as I am not a doctor.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, you might try walking or running in water. It's easier on the joints than doing the same exercise without the water. Elliptical is less stressful as well, and doesn't stress the foot as much as a TM. A stationary bike can also give you a good workout. Whatever you do, build up slowly. Don't try to do too much too soon.

With PF, stretching the foot is key. Ice can help, as can using a foot roller. Talk to your doctor about a brace if it doesn't get better.