Workout the fat but the fat won't let me! HELP!

Options

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ditto elliptical, exercise bike or yoga.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    hand bike, battle ropes, swimming, rowing, yoga, pilates, TRX, skating or rollerblading, even games like bowling, billiards, or golf will drastically increase your steps.

I have to say though that an intentional increase in NON-Exercise along with a calorie deficit is going to be key. I tend to follow this approach with individuals who have injuries, arthritis, etc. It's better to control your calorie intake daily as opposed to trying to find ways to burn a ton of calories through exercise.

Really agree with the last point--- controlling your calorie intake will yield the largest return on your efforts. I would also suggest committing to accurate logging and gradually adjust your diet. Rapid /dramatic changes will yield results but they also set you up to giving up and going back to your normal habits. So will pushing yourself too hard and aggravating an existing injury. So, try some of the suggested lower impact exercises suggested by others and *kitten* how you feel.

The great news is that you've started the process.. don't give up on yourself!!
  • katkle
    katkle Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have arthritis in my left foot and a weak core/lower back, and I've found one of the best exercises to accommodate those issues is the recumbent bicycle. My back can get tired when I use an upright bike, but being able to sit back against the recumbent seat and really focus on the power in my legs provides a great workout.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    katkle wrote: »
    I have arthritis in my left foot and a weak core/lower back, and I've found one of the best exercises to accommodate those issues is the recumbent bicycle. My back can get tired when I use an upright bike, but being able to sit back against the recumbent seat and really focus on the power in my legs provides a great workout.

Ditto on this advice. I also suffered from plantar fasciitis along with back, knee and achilles pain; the recumbent bike is the method of exercise that I've always been able to do (and enjoy). The good news is a lot of the pain goes away with weight loss. In the meantime, invest in very good shoes (I used Kuru brand) and be patient.
  • yanick356
    yanick356 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had severe plantar fasciitis 72 pounds ago. Now I'm just starting C25K; It gets much better as the pounds come off . Take it slow. When I first started going to the gym, I only did a few things and I HATED the treadmill. I would tell myself - "Just 2 more minutes, Heather. You can do 2 minutes." Now, when I'm on the treadmill, my self-pep talk is - "Just one more mile!" Make small goals and increase them little by little. Also, you really need good shoes. My podiatrist recommended Nike Airmax 360's. Woooo... they were expensive. Be warned! Good luck! You can do this :)

Hey what shoes were you wearing before? Are the Nikes better? Were you jogging? Ever try Asics Gel Kayano? That is my favorite but always looking for better.
    Had Plantar and took ayear to heal. Tried Cortisone injection but didnt do too much for me.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I started with yoga. I signed up for a six week beginner series at a yoga studio. Very gentle stuff. From there I added walking for another 3-4 months. After that -C25K -> 5K to 10K -> weight training (started with a few intro session with a trainer) -> now I am training for a half marathon.

You should probably see a doctor and get some physical therapy for the plantar fasciitis. I've been there. It hurts! Orthotics and therapy helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit. I agree with what rileysowner said as well.

Some people need exercise to help create that deficit. With out exercise I am stuck eating a measly 1,200 calories a day and then the loss is still slow. Exercise helps create a better deficit while also increasing calorie allowance.

In the case of the OP the thing that will help her to get to a point where she can exercise is losing weight. If she is at 1200 calories and finding it difficult to stick to that calorie goal, perhaps for now she needs to reduce her goal loss per week to start. The comments about not needing to exercise to lose weight has much more to do with those who think they must exercise to lose weigh. They don't have to. Exercise is good. It will make sticking to ones calorie deficit far easier. It will mean being able to overall eat more. Yet, none of that means it is absolutely necessary to lose weight, which is what many people seem to thing.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @yanick356
    yanick356 wrote: »

1)Hey what shoes were you wearing before?
    2)Are the Nikes better?
    3) Were you jogging?
    4)Ever try Asics Gel Kayano? That is my favorite but always looking for better.
    5)Had Plantar and took ayear to heal. Tried Cortisone injection but didnt do too much for me.

Hey there!
    1) No particular brand.
    2) They decreased my PF pain while I was using them. They've got an air bladder that runs the length of the shoe. One day at work, one of the air bladders busted and I never replaced them due to the cost. I moved to crocs after that. They worked well for me.
    3) Not at that time. However, I was working a minimum of 52 hours a week on concrete floors and was at my highest weight (over 266).
    4) I have a pair of Asics now. They're ok. I'd like better.
    5) I had several rounds of oral and injectable steroids. Nothing helped until I lost my first 25 pounds.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've never had plantar fasciitis so have no idea how that affects you but if you are heavy enough that you feel walking or some exercise is damaging to your body then you will need to rely on your diet to drop some weight first. I was pretty heavy when I started (305+) but I'm 6'2" so although I was big I was able to handle the weight mostly and start right in on walking. However, had I been any heavier even that would have been difficult. Don't let it stop you, simply set yourself for a caloric restriction with MFP, and lose some of the weight so the exercise gets easier. It's going to take patience but as the weight drops off you'll find you can do more with less pain.
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First off...APPLAUSE for the start and the effort! That is huge! I agree with all those above that says modify for now but there are also lots of videos on youtube for Chair Yoga (sounds easy? yeah it's a real workout) and also see a podiatrist. They will help you select proper footware for your daily life as well as for exercise. Don't underestimate the importance of the right shoes. I have had plantars fasciitis and it is uncomfortable at best and really painful at worst (ugh, mornings are the worst) but I was prescribed a boot that I wore at night while sleeping that kept it properly aligned so that muscle couldn't "curl" back up at night. You get used to it and it was the only thing that helped. Best of luck to you!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit.

Exercise burns calories, which is part of having a caloric deficit. Furthermore, the OP wants to exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit.

Exercise burns calories, which is part of having a caloric deficit. Furthermore, the OP wants to exercise.

I never said exercise didnt burn calories, please show me where I said that. I also never said she didnt want to exercise. I stated that all that is needed is a caloric deficit which is true,exercise does create a bigger deficit than what you are in(if you are in one). I also stated that exercise is also not needed to lose weight, Im sure there are many here that lost weight without exercise(myself included,when I was injured),some who lost it by exercise alone(creating their deficit that way),and so on.

Please show me where it says exercise is a must in a caloric deficit.many people cant exercise and lose weight just by eating in a deficit.I am also not the only one who stated that you can lose with just a deficit/diet,nor will I be the last.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Side note on rowing machines: my local chain gym does not have them anymore at any of their locations:-(
  • veggrrrl
    veggrrrl Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My plantar fasciitis went away soon after I bought myself a quality pair of shoes. I also had other foot pains that are almost completely gone and started to subside within days of starting my exercise regimen. Talk to a Dr or go to a running specialty store if you can, and get some really supportive sneakers. The pain may go away as you lose weight, which is all the more reason to workout! :)

Also, Garnet avatar!!!!!! <3
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I never said exercise didnt burn calories, please show me where I said that. I stated that all that is needed is a caloric deficit which is true,exercise does create a bigger deficit than what you are in(if you are in one). I also stated that exercise is also not needed to lose weight, Im sure there are many here that lost weight without exercise(myself included,when I was injured),some who lost it by exercise alone(creating their deficit that way),and so on.

Please show me where it says exercise is a must in a caloric deficit.many people cant exercise and lose weight just by eating in a deficit.I am also not the only one who stated that you can lose with just a deficit/diet,nor will I be the last.

When somebody asked "What exercises can I do when my feet bother me?" how is "all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit" a useful answer? It ignores their question entirely and talks down to them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    I've never had plantar fasciitis so have no idea how that affects you but if you are heavy enough that you feel walking or some exercise is damaging to your body then you will need to rely on your diet to drop some weight first. I was pretty heavy when I started (305+) but I'm 6'2" so although I was big I was able to handle the weight mostly and start right in on walking. However, had I been any heavier even that would have been difficult. Don't let it stop you, simply set yourself for a caloric restriction with MFP, and lose some of the weight so the exercise gets easier. It's going to take patience but as the weight drops off you'll find you can do more with less pain.

PF is like having knives stuck into the bottom of your foot every step. It is miserable. Losing weight will help. Stretching will help. Since it is basically a type of tendinitis rest is important as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I never said exercise didnt burn calories, please show me where I said that. I stated that all that is needed is a caloric deficit which is true,exercise does create a bigger deficit than what you are in(if you are in one). I also stated that exercise is also not needed to lose weight, Im sure there are many here that lost weight without exercise(myself included,when I was injured),some who lost it by exercise alone(creating their deficit that way),and so on.

When somebody asked "What exercises can I do when my feet bother me?" how is "all thats needed for weight/fat loss is a caloric deficit" a useful answer? It ignores their question entirely and talks down to them.

Eh, when someone is morbidly obese and can injure themselves as a result of exercise (especially with pre-existing conditions) I think it's negligent to ignore this factor. It absolutely isn't necessary or even advisable to try and engage in certain exercise in some cases.

If as the OP put it she physically "can't" because of her body fat, what's wrong with suggesting she focus on her diet first and lose some weight before attempting exercise?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

because that is all that is needed.how is it talking down to them? like I said some people think you HAVE to workout to lose weight. you dont.I will say again others said basically the same thing I did. so why arent you calling them out as well? she also said exercise caused her pain, so why exercise if it causes pain atm? Im not going to sit here and argue with you either. The OP has choices she can make from everyones comments.its up to her what she wants to do.I never once told her NOT to exercise or workout.
  • latiloca
    latiloca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wowsers thanks for all the replies everyone!! While not exercising is a temporary solution while I loose weight and a tempting one, I WANT to exercise for 3 reasons. The first is that I want to lose weight at a not so slow rate, not quickly but more than .5lb a week. Secondly, I enjoy the endorphins and happy feelings that come after a good workout. 30 min walk may not seem like a lot to many but to a larger person like myself it's a sense accomplishment that I use to push myself to keep going. Lastly, I enjoy eating...obviously haha. But working out and seeing how hard I have to work to loose a measly 200 calories puts things in perspective when I feel like eating something. I don't deny myself anything (for fear of binging later). So I tell myself "if I want those cookies I gotta work out for it." Then I think...."do I want to put THAT much work into eating a couple cookies?" Most of the time the answer is no. I will try yoga and hopefully see about moving some bills around to join a gym with a pool. I love bike riding but I don't have a bike and I feel at this point I might look a bit ridiculous riding one.