Workout the fat but the fat won't let me! HELP!

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    latiloca wrote: »
    Wowsers thanks for all the replies everyone!! While not exercising is a temporary solution while I loose weight and a tempting one, I WANT to exercise for 3 reasons. The first is that I want to lose weight at a not so slow rate, not quickly but more than .5lb a week. Secondly, I enjoy the endorphins and happy feelings that come after a good workout. 30 min walk may not seem like a lot to many but to a larger person like myself it's a sense accomplishment that I use to push myself to keep going. Lastly, I enjoy eating...obviously haha. But working out and seeing how hard I have to work to loose a measly 200 calories puts things in perspective when I feel like eating something. I don't deny myself anything (for fear of binging later). So I tell myself "if I want those cookies I gotta work out for it." Then I think...."do I want to put THAT much work into eating a couple cookies?" Most of the time the answer is no. I will try yoga and hopefully see about moving some bills around to join a gym with a pool. I love bike riding but I don't have a bike and I feel at this point I might look a bit ridiculous riding one.

if you want to ride a bike then ride one.you wont look ridiculous,I just got a new bike this past fall and I love riding it.I do things all the time that may make me look ridiculous but I dont care. I just do what I want and enjoy doing it and so should you :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Just another suggestion, have you considered rebounding? It can be a great workout and is easy on the body. A mini-trampoline will cost around 30-40 bucks.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Swim. Burns an insane amount of calories and has minimal impact on joints/feet.
  • latiloca
    latiloca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    U
    Just another suggestion, have you considered rebounding? It can be a great workout and is easy on the body. A mini-trampoline will cost around 30-40 bucks.

Ehhh I'm gonna have to google what that is. I've never heard of it.
    Options
    U

Mini trampoline. They refer to exercise done on this as "rebounding". One very good thing is you can control your bounce. Your feet don't even have to leave the trampoline, you can bounce by just sinking your weight into the trampoline as opposed to actually jumping any height. And since it is a very low impact workout you don't have to worry about stressing joints or aching feet.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    when it comes to shoes - I recommend going to go good running store and getting fitted for shoes that fit your feet - ideally, they should watch you walk barefoot, look at how the tread has worn and then after examining that - should give you a variety of shoe styles to try - not just stability, neutral - but even within them, different brands fit/support differently
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    U

Mini trampoline. They refer to exercise done on this as "rebounding". One very good thing is you can control your bounce. Your feet don't even have to leave the trampoline, you can bounce by just sinking your weight into the trampoline as opposed to actually jumping any height. And since it is a very low impact workout you don't have to worry about stressing joints or aching feet.

Maybe i'm biased since i'm an instructor of "jump fitness" but if you're just bouncing around you aren't going to be burning anything. If you perform "rebounding" properly it is very difficult and i don't think it's a good idea for any individuals who are morbidly obese because of the high risk of injury to the knee and ankle (even with proper form).
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    U

Maybe i'm biased since i'm an instructor of "jump fitness" but if you're just bouncing around you aren't going to be burning anything. If you perform "rebounding" properly it is very difficult and i don't think it's a good idea for any individuals who are morbidly obese because of the high risk of injury to the knee and ankle (even with proper form).

Who said "just jumping"? There are a variety of body movements involved in an actual rebound workout. But as with ANY exercise diving in head first is a bad idea, which is why starting slow is a good idea.

I also don't see where the OP mentioned being morbidly obese. She said she is overweight. Unless she clarifies it's not wise to assume.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Eh, when someone is morbidly obese and can injure themselves as a result of exercise (especially with pre-existing conditions) I think it's negligent to ignore this factor. It absolutely isn't necessary or even advisable to try and engage in certain exercise in some cases.

When somebody doesn't tell you that any of that (morbid obesity, inability to move without injury) is going on, it's demeaning to assume it must be just because they have weight to lose.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Eh, when someone is morbidly obese and can injure themselves as a result of exercise (especially with pre-existing conditions) I think it's negligent to ignore this factor. It absolutely isn't necessary or even advisable to try and engage in certain exercise in some cases.

When somebody doesn't tell you that any of that (morbid obesity, inability to move without injury) is going on, it's demeaning to assume it must be just because they have weight to lose.

when someone complains that their body fat is so high that they can't exercise without immense pain is that really reaching too far? What about when someone complains that they feel "like literal torture because I'm having to fight through the pain" every time they exercise? Or what about being worried about riding a bike at their current size?

Seems pretty ridiculous to suggest an exercise that increases their risk of injury to the entire lower body when they likely have pain even WALKING with plantar fasciitis.

But Okay... get up on the trampoline and let us know how that works out.

Options

when someone complains that their body fat is so high that they can't exercise without immense pain is that really reaching too far? What about when someone complains that they feel "like literal torture because I'm having to fight through the pain" every time they exercise? Or what about being worried about riding a bike at their current size?

Seems pretty ridiculous to suggest an exercise that increases their risk of injury to the entire lower body when they likely have pain even WALKING with plantar fasciitis.

Her pain was specifically said to be from plantar fasciitis. You do not need to be morbidly obese to have this. I weighed 125 lbs the first time I had it. It was extremely painful. I think if the OP wants to find good options that won't irritate her condition then it is better to help by suggesting things that she could try instead of discouraging exercise. Many good suggestions including some great ones for not even putting weight on the feet at all (chair aerobics) have been given.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Her pain was specifically said to be from plantar fasciitis. You do not need to be morbidly obese to have this. I weighed 125 lbs the first time I had it. It was extremely painful. I think if the OP wants to find good options that won't irritate her condition then it is better to help by suggesting things that she could try instead of discouraging exercise. Many good suggestions including some great ones for not even putting weight on the feet at all (chair aerobics) have been given.

Exactly. Rebounding isn't one of those.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Exactly. Rebounding isn't one of those.

Yes it is. The impact you would get from say walking or running is not there. But I also suggested starting out with a bounce rather than a jump to ease into it and make sure it wouldn't irritate the condition. You also think THAT is a bad idea so yeah. You apparently want it both ways.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This here is pretty key.

But, I believe most everyone here is ignoring another key point: What has the OP's doctor said regarding this?

PF is pretty easily resolved, and is self-limiting. Foot rollers, strassburg socks, proper shoes for the exercise being performed, specific stretching exercises, and if overweight, losing weight.

It would seem to me, rather than engaging in some new exercise routine, the first stop for the OP should be a doctor. Either the OP's General Practitioner, or a sports orthopedist.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Google chair exercise videos - you can get your heart rate up and exercise pretty well while sitting. Its great for wheelchair users and those who have a hard time standing or doing traditional exercise. And most of the time those videos are adaptive because of the wide range of ability/disability of people doing them... i.e. traditional videos wont work for someone who only has, say, one arm... but that doesnt mean that person cannot exercise! Everyone can do something - find something close that you dont think is too hard and adapt it for yourself. Over time you will be able to do more, so keep finding ways to challenge yourself at the ability you have at the time.
    Options

This here is pretty key.

But, I believe most everyone here is ignoring another key point: What has the OP's doctor said regarding this?

PF is pretty easily resolved, and is self-limiting. Foot rollers, strassburg socks, proper shoes for the exercise being performed, specific stretching exercises, and if overweight, losing weight.

It would seem to me, rather than engaging in some new exercise routine, the first stop for the OP should be a doctor. Either the OP's General Practitioner, or a sports orthopedist.

People are offering suggestions, NOT holding her at gunpoint to try the suggestions. I am certain that the OP is plenty capable of sifting through any and all advice given and then decide what sounds good and what does not.
    I will speak for myself when I say that I have had a lot of foot pain the past several months. Some of it due to the plantar fascia some of it due to other things. This week I took the notion to get out my rebounder and see what I could do with it and the times I have used it did NOT cause me any foot pain even though I have been dealing with general foot and knee problems. SO I thought I would mention the rebounder to the OP so that she could have another OPTION to CONSIDER. I guess we can sit around all day debating all of the exercises that have been suggested here, but at the end of it the OP is going to make her own choices and the arguments will only be wasted time.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This here is pretty key.

People are offering suggestions, NOT holding her at gunpoint to try the suggestions. I am certain that the OP is plenty capable of sifting through any and all advice given and then decide what sounds good and what does not.
    I will speak for myself when I say that I have had a lot of foot pain the past several months. Some of it due to the plantar fascia some of it due to other things. This week I took the notion to get out my rebounder and see what I could do with it and the times I have used it did NOT cause me any foot pain even though I have been dealing with general foot and knee problems. SO I thought I would mention the rebounder to the OP so that she could have another OPTION to CONSIDER. I guess we can sit around all day debating all of the exercises that have been suggested here, but at the end of it the OP is going to make her own choices and the arguments will only be wasted time.

If jumping exercises didn't exacerbate the pain, it was not plantar fasciitis. This is a key reason why I'm suggesting OP see a doctor, instead querying the internet as to how to fix it. Treatment for PF is not the same as treatment for say, stress fractures, as stress fractures are not self-limiting.

In fact, in most cases, PF pain subsides as the exercise continues... And then returns a few hours post-exercise (Stiffening/swelling of the fascia is what is causing the pain).

And, upon visitation to the doctor, a complete regiment will be worked up, and the PF (If that's what it is) will be soon solved.
    Options

This here is pretty key.

If jumping exercises didn't exacerbate the pain, it was not plantar fasciitis. This is a key reason why I'm suggesting OP see a doctor, instead querying the internet as to how to fix it. Treatment for PF is not the same as treatment for say, stress fractures, as stress fractures are not self-limiting.

In fact, in most cases, PF pain subsides as the exercise continues... And then returns a few hours post-exercise (Stiffening/swelling of the fascia is what is causing the pain).

And, upon visitation to the doctor, a complete regiment will be worked up, and the PF (If that's what it is) will be soon solved.

This here is pretty key.

I certainly don't mean to imply that a doctor should not be seen, and she has not mentioned whether she has seen a doctor. But it has been mentioned plenty so I just didn't think it needed repeating. At any rate, I hope she gets it worked out. She is moving in the right direction as far as getting her weight down.

As far as I am concerned I know mine is plantar fasciitis because I have seen doctors for mine at varying stages over the past 15 years.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Since you're having back pain, consider doing some back-strengthening exercises in addition to the suggestions others have made. You can start out with simple body weight exercises you can do at home like supermans, or quadrupeds, or bridges.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    First of all like a few other posters congratulations on the effort. Now here comes the tough love part and I'm going to take away every possible excuse you have. 56 year old male double hip replacement arthritic knee and shoulder that needs to be replaced and a bad back.

Also see an orthopedic specialist or foot doctor and a physical therapists. A lot of people may want to give you helpful suggestions but without knowing the extent of your injuries you can do some serious damage based on their suggestions as helpful as they may seem. Also dr. Google doesn't know what the hell he's talking

Started my weight-loss Journey January 1st 2016 my weight was 288 pounds. Current weight is about 210. My first suggestion to you is concentrate on losing the weight. Don't know how much you weigh or what your physical parameters are but my experiences as you lose the weight it will take a lot of stress off your body. My understanding and I don't know if this applies to you but for me every pound i took off it's the equivalent of losing10 pounds of pressure on my knee.

Do whatever kind of exercise you can that's within your physical abilities. Just to let you know what can happen I'm a big fan of Tony Horton. I've done a lot of his workouts including P90X. One of the workouts in P90X is called Plyometrics which is a jumping exercise. One of the moves is a jumping spin move. Two years ago I couldn't picture doing a spin mentally and there was no way I could do it physically. Last week I did multiple 360 spins.