A little off topic ...Fitness magazines you all enjoy?

Options
zilkah
zilkah Posts: 207 Member
Looking for a magazine maybe with recipes or just about fitness / healthy life style :) I lift and do basic cardio so fun workouts or wellness tips are enjoyable to read about too

Replies

• TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Men's Health. Amazingly done by Rodale. I'd assume Women's Health is the same thing? It's a complete mag. Everything from health to weight loss to strength , social and food.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The standard ones are all pretty standard (Shape, Men's/Women's Health, etc.)... but Oxygen and Fitness RX are both worth a look.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tend to read Men's Fitness. Didn't care for Men's Health when the focus seems to be for str8 guys...lots of eye candy there for them...and articles about sexual health that assume everyone is str8. Got tired of that...but if you like it, good for you. I enjoy Cooking Light but don't subscribe....which helps with the diet and meal planning.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Somebody at work gave me a stack of Outdoor Magazines. Obviously the main focus is not on fitness, but, it's for hikers, kayakers, trail runners, etc - people who rely on their fitness. Some of the pictures are inspiring (in the "a photo is worth a thousand miles" kind of way) and there are articles about health and fitness.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love Oxygen and Runners' World because I like to get both my lift and my run on! They're both solid publications.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Somebody at work gave me a stack of Outdoor Magazines. Obviously the main focus is not on fitness, but, it's for hikers, kayakers, trail runners, etc - people who rely on their fitness. Some of the pictures are inspiring (in the "a photo is worth a thousand miles" kind of way) and there are articles about health and fitness.

Their gear buyer's guide is one of my favorite magazine issues of the year.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oxygen Magazine is good. And, thankfully, the latest issue has them finally letting go of all the bro-science they usually spout about meal timing and calories not being equal (as in a unit of energy) etc....I didn't twitch once reading it.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Runners world, womens running, personal trainer, flex

Not a fan of womens health. Full of sex tips, fluff pieces and crash diets
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Runner's World and Cooking Light are my two go-to magazines.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like the healthy for men magazine in the UK.

I'm female but the mens mag has in fitness and nutrition. The womens version is all adverts and woo.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a magazine that isn't completely photoshopped? I want some REAL inspiration! It seems tough to come by up here in the frozen north.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    A long long time ago Shape tried to be something different. There were women lifting weights, Joe Weider's wife (why can't I remember her name?) looking like a fit, weightlifting mature woman. It changed to become like everything else and I haven't seriously looked at another fitness magazine since.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a magazine that isn't completely photoshopped? I want some REAL inspiration! It seems tough to come by up here in the frozen north.

Doubt there are many. Most self-respecting photographers don't want people to see their undeveloped negatives.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    I LOVE my Men's Health. Amazingly done by Rodale. I'd assume Women's Health is the same thing? It's a complete mag. Everything from health to weight loss to strength , social and food.

I have a $4.95 subscription to Men's Health, not worth much more than that to me. Decent introductory health and exercise stuff and food info, but too many pages wasted on expensive clothes, watches, personal care products, etc.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Most of the fitness magazines are pretty terrible, IMHO. Men's Health/Men's Fitness continually spout unscientific nonsense and fad of the minute diet and exercise guides - the reality is, if they were 100% honest they would basically be printing much the same articles every month, so they have to get on the latest bandwagon.

The "huge muscle" mags are in hock to the supplement sellers - very hard to take anything seriously in them, as their view is completely tainted by (a) their hucksterism for largely unnecessary supplements and (b) their promotion of obviously juiced models.

Some of the peripheral magazines are a bit better - so something like "Outdoor Fitness" or the fitness articles in cycling magazines are often better, though less focused on weight training and also susceptible to fad of the month.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    women's health and shape have more makeup and hair tips than anything else. unless you are looking for that, better ones would be Strong, fitness RX, muscle and fitness hers and to a lesser extent oxygen.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I grew up getting my info from the 80's through the 90's from magazines like Muscular Development, Flex, Muscle and Fitness.
    At least Muscular Development had a lot of actual studies that were posted in them, whereas a lot in the other mags was the start of BROSCIENCE and continued up till now.
    Now the only thing I do is glance at some of them to see if there are any legit articles to read.

Also, you still got to laugh because on every mag, there's always one touting "abs" or "lose fat" as a headliner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    IMO they're all nothing more than supplement catalogs with a few derpy broscience articles thrown in to help sell them as 'magazines'.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Darn. I was hoping for something actually good. Getting mail feels like a gift lol. I got Cooking Light for my magazine fix I guess I'll see if the library has any of these to try . Thanks all
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    zilkah wrote: »
    Getting mail feels like a gift lol.

I agree! I miss real mail. I try to send small no reason gifts to people once in a while for that reason. Maybe I need a pen pal.