Went to a gym for the first time today

Options
It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. But what kinds of machines are good for butt muscles?

Replies

• Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congrats! As time goes by it'll get even easier and you'll probably start developing a sense of familiarity with the place.
    I can only tell from my experience, but since I avoid machines, using only free weights, squats would be one of the best exercises you can do. Try starting with small handheld weights, progressing towards squatting with the empty bar placed on your shoulders. Eventually add weights to that. Try working with someone who can give you feedback on correct form.
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    And Glute Bridges are good in the free weights and bulgarian split squats
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yay! Welcome to the dark side! We're actually very friendly over here :D

For glutes (butt muscles): hip thrusts, weighted kick backs, kneeling squats.

Regular squats will help but they concentrate more on the quads, which is good too. You want a balanced leg.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you do a full body workout using a variety of equipment. It will include the precious butt. All muscles in your body are connected. Your body Works together as a whole, not individual parts, If you feel as need to do an extras set for th e butt, that's ok. Your long term fitness & appearance will be best when all of it is worked.

You can get an introduction to equipment from a staff person who show you how to use each thing and it's purpose. There usually are labels on t h e machines that explain this too.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend venturing into the free weights section for the best glute exercises. But machines definitely have their place. I love the cable machine for cable pull throughs, glute kickbacks, hip extensions, abductions. The hip ab/adductor machine, glute ham raises, back extensions, reverse hypers. I think you can also do hip thrusts on the leg curl machine.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the other side. Your best bet is to talk to one of the trainers. The machines will give you a workout but like other posters have said free weights will give you a much better work out.

Don't be intimidated by the guys in there. They may look at you in the beginning as a newbie but eventually they'll just go back to the routine. The main reason they're in the gym is for themselves. Give you a little background on myself I'm a 56 year old male with some physical limitations due to arthritis in my knee and shoulder and there are girls in the gym who can out lift me as far as weights.