Calories in a smoothie

Options
I was just wondering are the calories in a smoothie more once fruit is blended compared to before? I know blending fruit makes it higher in sugar, so I can count it correctly, tia

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Adding the fruit adds the calories from the fruit.

Smoothies can have a lot of calories. Be sure you count everything that goes into the smoothie.
  • fiona119
    fiona119 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Blending fruit doesn't change the amount of sugar. Nor does it change the calories. What you put into the blender is what comes out.
  • seska422
    edited March 2017
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Blending fruit doesn't change the amount of sugar. Nor does it change the calories. What you put into the blender is what comes out.
    The way I understand the OP, the smoothie started with no fruit. Adding fruit (and blending so that it's still a smooth smoothie) added not only the sugar (and other nutrients) but the calories from that fruit.

Weight Watchers "free" fruit has some people thinking that fruit either doesn't have calories or that those calories don't count. However, calories always count.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also read the OP as thinking that fruit becomes more sugary and caloric once blended. As noted above, it does not. (It also has no fewer, so just count the fruit you add.)

One issue with smoothies is that many find they can consume a lot more fruit or other calories when drinking it rather than eating it. I avoid making them with a lot of fruit for that reason (and also because they are more consistent with what I want out of breakfast if they contain more vegetables, protein, and probably some fat).
  • ffwife1
    ffwife1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    But remember to not fear the fruit it is nature's candy therefore your system is able to break down the healthy sugar. Artificial sugars are the one that our bodies do not break down so easily therefore turning them into fat.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ffwife1 wrote: »
    But remember to not fear the fruit it is nature's candy therefore your system is able to break down the healthy sugar. Artificial sugars are the one that our bodies do not break down so easily therefore turning them into fat.

No, this is incorrect. The fructose in fruit is the same as the fructose in other foods.

Also, if your body 'couldn't break down' artificial sugars (which are they, btw?) then there is no way they could be stored as fat. They would just go right through you.
  • seska422
    Options
    ffwife1 wrote: »
    "Nature's candy" means that, like manufactured candy, it should be eaten in moderation. Sugar is sugar.

It's only in the last 70 years or so that fruit was readily available to many people. My mother used to get an orange in her Christmas stocking as a special treat.

Excess calories, no matter their source, get stored as fat.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »

This!

How can the sugar be increased by blending? Chopping up a whole food does not change its nutrients (not even the fiber is really affected).