Swim/Gym Plan

Options
Hi everyone,

First time posting on this forum even though I've been a member for years!

I recently signed up to the gym near my work so I can use the pool on my lunch break. I normally get about 30 minutes in the pool, 4 times a week. After a few months, have noticed that my shoulders, arms, back and chest are slowly starting to tone.

I am thinking of swapping 2 of the swim sessions for weights. So this would be about 30-35 mins lifting weights x2 times a week, and 2x 30 minute swim sessions.

Is this a good mix? I'm not looking to get ripped, just lose about 2 stone overall and tone up a bit. Obviously watching my diet as well

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rich

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The diet will be the only reason why you lose the fat weight.

The exercise is about what shows up underneath.

Swimming for many makes them more hungry, but if logging and adhering, not a problem, perhaps.
    Lifting burns less, like when you log it, that low amount is true. So eating less that may be not be as fun compared to swimming days.

Sounds like good plan, swimming to keep the upper body lose, lifting to make it strong.

When at gym with pool I actually had enough time I'd do the 30-40 min upper body workouts followed by 30-40 min of swimming.
    On lower lifting days I'd do 45-50 run from gym on hilly route and back, making them hill sprints.
  • therich29
    therich29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply pal!

I am certainly one of the ones who gets very hungry after a swim, but I think I have learned to control it now. Also trying to make the plate as colourful as I can in a bid to get rid of the fat. I think that is the frustration as I can feel myself toning up underneath the blubber, so just looking for the most effective way to get back into reasonable shape!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    swimgry is a real thing - its something to do with water being cooler than our body temp, so you expend more energy trying to stay warm (as well as workout calories) - or something like that

I would say on your swim plan - if you mix it up - don't just swim 30min straight - do sets, intervals - so an easy workout I do - 50yd/m; 100; 150; 200; 250; 200; 150; 100; 50 - 1250yds/m - and you can easily adjust it to your level of swim experience/time available to swim

or 10x100yd with 10sec rest (or similar)
  • therich29
    therich29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Makes sense! Is tricky not to binge on a nice chocolate bar or two after a good swim!

Ok that sounds doable, so just build up the distance and bring it back down again? Would I still get the benefit doing this in a half hour slot?