How many calories for 5'2.5"?

Options
I used the calorie calculators that normally show up in a Google search and it told me 1500ish to maintain. Then someone on here posted a different one that told me 1800. The Baylor College one also said 1800. I know they aren't exact anyway but it's bugging me lol. Does anyone know which I should listen to, or could someone my height let me know how many cals they eat?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's not only your stats that provide for your calorie requirements...your activity level does as well. My wife is the same height and she maintains on roughly 2300...she lifts and she's a runner.

Just start with one and make adjustments as necessary. You don't actually have a TDEE of exactly XXXX calories.
  • divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's not only your stats that provide for your calorie requirements...your activity level does as well. My wife is the same height and she maintains on roughly 2300...she lifts and she's a runner.

Just start with one and make adjustments as necessary. You don't actually have a TDEE of exactly XXXX calories.

I put sedentary for both calculators, that's what threw me off. I lift 5 lb weights a couple times a week, not active at all xD
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here is a good calculator to help you,sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    Here is a good calculator to help you,sailrabbit.com/bmr/

I second this. Gives me 1400 for 62.5". Seems about right for my frame. Will say the activity levels are a bit weird. On a good hiking day, Fitbit tells me I am in the Olympic athlete zone. Mifflin St jeor seems right for sedentary, but Cunningham is closer to my TDEE on extremely active days.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yep. No two are the same. Adjust as needed to meet your goals.
  • robin1969lemox
    robin1969lemox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Start with what MFP gives you to achieve your maintenance. Enter your exercise, when you exercise, and eat back those calories.

If you are not maintaining after a full menstual cycle, lower your exercise feed back by 25-50%.

I found it best just taking my data collected from MFP to get my maintenance.

My maintenance at 5'1 including exercise, is 1550-1600, but I am older and light so that calorie goal would be too low for most my height.

Cheers, h.
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Based on my own personal calories I'd think the 1800 once exercise is added is probably close to correct. I'm 5'4" 122lbs. I work on my feet but more standing and leaning than walking or lifting. My maintenance before exercise is about 1650. I don't log any exercise other than steps or what Google fit puts in for me and that is usually another 400-600 calories/day. My average steps range from 8000-10000 with kilometers being in the 6-9 range daily. I'm not sure if that helps any.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly that height and 115lbs and maintain around 2500/day. It's all about your activity level. You may have to experiment to find yours.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and 125 lbs. During the winter months I've been maintaining at around 1700 calories a day. I've been much more sedentary over the winter. Last summer I was maintaining closer to 2000 calories. I'm so ready for warm weather to get here so I can be more active and eat more! :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    All of this stuff is just ballpark. The only thing that is exact is how much you weigh and even that fluctuates. Eat 1700 calories or so and monitor your weight. If you lose weight then increase your calories. If you gain then decrease them.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 1/4" and 127lbs /47yrs - I maintain on 2000 calories a day. (I'm active and average 14k steps daily).
    If I was less active, say only did half my normal steps, maintenance calories would drop to around 1650.

You'll know yourself after a number of weeks what your own maintenance calories will be, if you aren't maintaining your weight range you know then to reduce your intake a little.
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am laughing at 5'2.5", I am 5'2.3/4 and a smidge lol. Not quite 5'3 but I would never say I was 5'2".
    I go with 1200 a day as per MFP as a base line, I try not to use all my calories from exercise if I can help it.
    I 'used to weigh' between 112/118lbs. Now I am about 121/124, real struggle to get anywhere near 112 (those days are gone lol) I am 47, sedentary job but I do exercise (cardio) about 4 times a week.
    My weekends are my downfall......
  • divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry for bumping this thread but I figured I'd update this for anyone who's possibly looking into the same thing. It turns out I was about 3 months pregnant at the time of posting this, which is why I was hungry and out of energy. I kinda wish I wouldn't have stressed this quite so much, 1500-1600 calories is easy. It's annoying to have to eat extra when most of the snacks I used to eat gross me out now, even mangoes which I loved Dx