Anyone doing Keto?

Options
I am 37 years old and currently weigh 245lbs. My husband and I are looking to embark on the Keto diet. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or words of encouragement; success stories, challenges you encountered, etcetera.

Replies

• druekerca
    druekerca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Meghand8, I have been doing keto for a almost 12 weeks now and liking it so far. All the fat and protein keeps me full and I don't crave sugar any more. Although, I do make some keto desserts using natural sweeteners, I have totally given up on added sugar, soda, most of the fruits and it's not that hard to do. You get used to it in a week or two. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck
  • lolly_t
    lolly_t Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Keto diet too. Going on week 3. It's actually the first time I've stuck to a diet before without feeling the need to cheat. I agree that the fat and higher protein make it easy to feel like you're cheating without actually cheating. I haven't looked into making deserts yet. My go to meals are salads made with avocado and lime dressing - with all the veggies I have in my fridge and chicken that I've made in a batch for the week. Eggs and smoothies are regulars for breakfast. Good luck! I hope you enjoy it!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome OP. Yes, I'm a Keto Lifer myself (it's been a little over 2.5 years eating this way for me). I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. IT's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

They have lots of great resources in the sticky note / launch pad area including tons of links to websites with Keto friendly recipes and thousands of supportive and knowledgeable members.
  • Granada88
    Granada88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have done Keto since May of last year. I was 220 pounds when I started. I'm at 173 pounds now and holding steady. The challenge for me, initially, was the lack of energy for fueling my workouts. I'm a martial artist and train at least 4-5 days a week. Getting my body to accept body fat as fuel, through Ketones took about a week. After that, I felt much better. I still have a lot to learn about this lifestyle. But, am so looking forward to learning more, and maintaining this new lease on life, for the rest of my life.
  • SarcasticBlondie
    SarcasticBlondie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been for 3 months. Anyone can add me if they wish.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er who has lost 101 lbs with 20 to go .....I highly recommend the link that @ladipoet posted .....amazing group with lots of info :)
  • glammitude
    glammitude Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Day 9! Down 5.8lbs!
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 19. I love Keto! I haven't lost as much as I thought, but I am playing around with proteins and carbs to find what is best for me. Also, I gave up aspartame a couple of days ago and the next day starting tasting the keto breath everyone talks about.. so that is something!
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for 5 months now, was at 20 g carbs or less, but now 30 g or less. I have never had keto breath and there are no ketone in my urine. Make sure you up your sodium, potassium, (Morton lite salt has both) and a magnesium supplement will help keep your electrolytes in balance. Drink plenty of water too
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I decided it was too limiting. I used to do it all the time, but I found that counting calories works just as good and doesn't limit me. I still like some aspects of eating low carb, so I still avoid processed carbs and sugar, but I don't avoid certain foods any longer. Nothing wrong with very low carb, but you have to count the calories still. I found it easy to eat more calories unless I was careful as meat and fats are calorie dense. I now focus more on high fiber, low density, which means lots of vegetable, fruits and whole grains, and leaner cuts of meats and cheeses.

As long as I stay within my calorie range, I lose weight. The trick is finding a way to stay full on the foods you do eat. If low carb works for you, then it works.
  • meghand8
    meghand8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also looking for a bit of a support system, so if anyone wants to add me, feel free. Thank you for all the posts!