The Last Time

Options
It seems like I have done the whole dieting process a thousand times over because of various reasons. I am at the point where this is the LAST time I want to be doing this and want to sincerely make changes that will last a lifetime, not just until I shamefully fall off the wagon. All of this being said and knowing how idiotic this may come across, I am at a loss at how to start or where to begin again (due to trying many different things a thousand different ways).

I know that this is a simple answer, but does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Start logging what you eat normally for a few days, find out where you are taking in the most unnecesseary calories and then use that as a tool to make small, sustainable changes to your diet and manage your expectation, it's not going to disappear overnight, set yourself a weight loss rate that isn't too agressive and that you will be able to stick to, to get yourself to your goal weight.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am not sure if this will help you or not but I have failed many times dieting and I was told to change my mindset and start calling it a lifestyle change or a healthier lifestyle due to seeing it as a diet you will see it as a temporary thing when it shouldn't be, also the word diet has die in it lol sorry being silly, but still when you see it as a diet you automatically start thinking of all the foods you cannot eat etc etc but what I do is eat good in the week and have something at the weekend I wouldn't have in the week, nothing bad enough to cancel out my good 5 days but say.... I had a chocolate bar I would probably make it last me over the weekend or something. I don't know, I am still kinda new to all this but just thought I would tell you whats helping me :smile:
    Safe paths x
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    but still when you see it as a diet you automatically start thinking of all the foods you cannot eat etc etc but what I do is eat good in the week and have something at the weekend I wouldn't have in the week, nothing bad enough to cancel out my good 5 days but say.... I had a chocolate bar I would probably make it last me over the weekend or something. I don't know, I am still kinda new to all this but just thought I would tell you whats helping me :smile:
    Safe paths x

Whilst your suggestion of thinking of it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet is great advice, thinking of foods as good and bad can be detrimental, food is fuel and as long as you're getting a good balance of macros, there is nothing to stop you from having chocolate in smaller portions during the week if it fits your calories.

• BoatMan7
    BoatMan7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It seems like I have done the whole dieting process a thousand times over because of various reasons. I am at the point where this is the LAST time I want to be doing this and want to sincerely make changes that will last a lifetime, not just until I shamefully fall off the wagon. All of this being said and knowing how idiotic this may come across, I am at a loss at how to start or where to begin again (due to trying many different things a thousand different ways).

I know that this is a simple answer, but does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

I know what you are going through because I am the same way. I just started over again after losing almost 40 pounds last year. It has been a struggle for me for so many years. I have asked the same questions as you but there is but only one answer. We need to face the person in the mirror and fight the inner demon in the fiercest battle for our life. No one can make us. They can support us which will motivate us but the ultimate responsibility is on our shoulders. It takes discipline and determination. Just when I think I've found it, I fall again. We just have to keep getting back up. You can do it!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I had to build a way of eating that was as close to my preferred way of eating as possible while having fewer calories. My "wagon" isn't very far off the ground so it's easier to avoid falling off and easier to re-board if I do fall off. I have a weekly calorie budget so I have flexibility from day-to-day. I eat more food than I used to eat volume-wise because I'm eating more veggies with my meals.

Start from what and how you like to eat. Record that for a couple of weeks. You can then look back through to see where you might eat smaller portions and/or make satisfying substitutions. Don't try to change everything at once. Only make changes that you are willing to sustain forever. Eat foods you like and don't eat foods you don't like. I aim for about 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense food and 20% from treats.

If you like the way you eat, it's less of a struggle to sustain that way of eating.
  • kellylynnshonting
    kellylynnshonting Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for all the tips. It really does help.