Confusing Bodpod results???

Hey everyone.
I've spent the last 7 months trying to gain muscle with a x5 day a week lifting routine with little to no cardio. I did a Bodpod back in September and my results were 32% body fat with 94lbs of fat free mass. This morning I had another one and my results were 33.9% body fat with 90lbs of fat free mass. I'm thoroughly confused. I weigh almost exactly the same but my measurements now are smaller than they were then, so how did I go up in body fat %???

21yoa F, 5'2, 137 lbs, been reverse dieting since January from 1300 calories to 1700 ish now.

Replies

• RayahEllen
    RayahEllen Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2017
    Im visibly leaner and have little muscles popping. Have a much rounder booty. I've also made considerable gains in my lifting so I am getting stronger and I thought gaining muscle!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I had a series of 4 BodPod tests at 6 monthly intervals, first three seemed entirely reasonable and believable but the last one was clearly and obviously out of whack.
    Visibly leaner, tape measure showed upper arm and quad increases and my waist slimmed down but according to the BodPod I had gained fat and lost LBM.

Gave up using them at that point and just looked in the mirror and relied on measurements.

BTW - especially when new to lifting increases in strength without muscle growth are entirely expected. CNS adaptation and skill improvement in the most part.

My advice would be save your money, take measurements and progress photos.
  • RayahEllen
    Man. That's frustrating. What's the best way to get a reliable body fat % then?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2017
    That is frustrating, and reminds me why I don't deal with those expensive bodyfat tests. I would probably come out disappointed and discouraged because my numbers would likely be all over the place.
    RayahEllen wrote: »
    Im visibly leaner and have little muscles popping. Have a much rounder booty. I've also made considerable gains in my lifting so I am getting stronger and I thought gaining muscle!

That is amazing. Sounds like you were very successful.. try not to let those results discourage you!
  • RayahEllen
    Interesting articles. So really measurements and strength gains are going to be my best options for tracking progress?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    RayahEllen wrote: »
    Interesting articles. So really measurements and strength gains are going to be my best options for tracking progress?

Personally I use skinfold calipers (although I know they're as error prone as any other method), measurements and monthly progress photos. You should be able to see the changes in bodyfat over time through photos. While it doesn't give you an accurate number, it lets you know that you're on the right track and what you're doing is working.

Strength gains can also be from neuromuscular adaptation (your central nervous system becoming more efficient at utilizing the muscles) and/or refinements in your exercise form, so they're not necessarily a reliable indicator of muscle gain.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I've been MFPing for 28 days now and lost perhaps five pounds and those old fat lady upper arm lumps. I WISH that I had taken a photo! Also, measuring yourself in centimeters. It will demonstrate progress better. Finally put on a well fitting pair of pants and see how you look and document it in photo. Keep track in your computer spread sheet and print it out and keep it where you can see it.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    What lifting routine were you following? Were you attempting a recomp?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Photos are your best friend! Where do you live? You can search for a mobile hydrostatic test, and if you are near a university they sometimes offer the Dexascan.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    The Bodpod is one of the least reliable BF measurement methods.

Nothing is perfect but I get a DXA scan and also get weighed hydrostatically every 3 months. The results provided by each are different but the trends are the same. DXA results are higher but provide more data than hydrostatic. However, between the 2, I prefer hydrostatic because I believe it is more accurate and reliable. I have received inconsistent redults w/DXA but never w/hydro.

Caliper and tape measure calculators are cheaper but no better in determining BF.

That said, they are better than nothing and, regardless of which method you use, the thing to focus on its the trend, which should be accurate in determining the direction of BF gain or loss as long as you use the same method of "measurement to determine it.