5lb dumbells ok?

Options
suzyy721
suzyy721 Posts: 52 Member
hello. im a beginner.
Can i gain weight if im doing the proper amount of squats,lunges and or other exercises using a set of 5lb dumbells? theyre pretty heavy for me.

My goal is to gain weight. and im eating a lot of calories as well.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    They may be heavy now, but what are you going to do for progression?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Have a look at the bodyweight programs in that list. They may be more helpful for you, as no dumbbells are involved and they get more challenging as you get stronger.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are new to lifting is there a reason that you are starting off with a bulk?

do you know what your current body fat% is?
  • suzyy721
    Options
    i just want to gain weight in the right places , just about 20 lbs. and then maintain it. Im afraid i wont be able to handle a higher dumbbell.
    Thanks for the information!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    suzyy721 wrote: »
    i just want to gain weight in the right places , just about 20 lbs. and then maintain it. Im afraid i wont be able to handle a higher dumbbell.
    Thanks for the information!

is joining a gym an option? If you want to gain 20 pounds you are going to need a structured lifting regimen with progressive overload built in and that revolves around compound movements....
  • suzyy721
    Options
    do you mean my calories being bulk or dumbells ? i have been eating a 2500 calorie diet every day now for a month. and now that i gained about 9 lbs i decided to start working out at home. i havent seen weight gain in the right places, just tummy :( I'm trying to gain weight in the thighs area and arms mainly. Everyone says to work out. Any advice? I'm 5'3, was 102, now 109. Very skinny. Not sure what my BFP is :(
  • suzyy721
    Options
    @NDJ1979
    gym is not an option, for now. Any possibility to be a successful gainer at home? I'm not trying to get "big". Just regular weight gain in the right areas.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If you are eating calories over your maintenance, you will definitely gain weight; you just want to make sure it is the right kind--muscle, not fat--and progressively heavier lifting combined with proper eating is the key.

Although I am focusing on recomping, I started out with a set of 5,10 and 15 lb DBs about a year ago. It was a good start to build a base and make sure your form is in place, but as noted above, you will want to have a plan for progression; I have access to a full range of DBs at the gym and DBs up to 35 at home, but now I need to order a l'il baby barbell because I am deadlifting 100 lbs and benching 60 lbs and could do a bit more with the stability of a bar. But I still use the 5s and 10s for accessory work on finer muscles--lat raises, flys and such--on my higher rep "metabolic" days.

I still do a lot of bodyweight exercises as well.

The link above is an outstanding resource so if you haven't settled on a program already you should browse around a bit.

Also be sure to get a proper amount of protein and fat; since I am 140 lbs I am aiming for 112+ g protein a day, or about 35% protein and 35% fat for my macro goals.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @NDJ1979
    gym is not an option, for now. Any possibility to be a successful gainer at home? I'm not trying to get "big". Just regular weight gain in the right areas.

What are your stats = height, weight, gender, age? why do you need to gain 20 pounds...

• French_Peasant
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @NDJ1979

What are your stats = height, weight, gender, age? why do you need to gain 20 pounds...

She is underweight at 5'3" and 102 lbs--she put 7 lbs on which puts her right on the cusp of healthy/normal territory.
  • suzyy721
    Options
    @French_Peasant Thank you for getting/understanding me.
    And for gud information. I appreciate it greatly :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @NDJ1979

She is underweight at 5'3" and 102 lbs--she put 7 lbs on which puts her right on the cusp of healthy/normal territory.

whoops, missed that, thanks.

OP, it sounds like maybe your goal should of been to add 10 pounds, not 20..?

Maybe you should eat at maintenance and start a workout program?
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    @French_Peasant Thank you for getting/understanding me.
    And for gud information. I appreciate it greatly :)

Dude. I remember the first day I opened my workouts from my trainer/nephew and saw a bunch of freaky lifts: Romanian deadlift???!!! Bulgarian split squat???!!! I just about died, and I definitely felt weak, intimidated, and awkward.

You will be amazed at what you can do if you take the bull by the horns, work tenaciously with an eye to eventually making it from the pink weights, to the purple weights, to the scary gray metal weights, and properly fuel your body and your lifts. I lifted for half a year until I was confident enough to hit the free weights at the gym. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hello. im a beginner.
    Can i gain weight if im doing the proper amount of squats,lunges and or other exercises using a set of 5lb dumbells? theyre pretty heavy for me.

You're also pregnant according to your other thread?
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    hello. im a beginner.

Sooooooooooooo....if that is the case THAT is some very useful background information to know, and--I might be going out on a limb here--might explain the weight in the belly?

If so, you should only be doing exercises approved by your doctor, and you definitely need to fuel that growing baby properly. I did a lot of yoga when I was pregnant.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    OP, my advice here is the same as in your other thread - talk to your doctor!
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    hello. im a beginner.

File that under 'This Changes Everything!'

Seriously.

OP, this is the kind of thing you need to mention when you are asking for advice. You can lift light weights/high reps while pregnant, but there are a lot of things you need to take into consideration, like, no glute bridges or other lifts where you would be lying on your back. And don't think about progressing beyond 15 lb DBs until a good year from now. And get everything cleared by your doctor. And EAT RIGHT!!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You should start with a weight that you can handle with proper form. If 5 pounds is that weight stick with it until it becomes too easy. But form comes first.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hello. im a beginner.

hello. im a beginner.

Cosign
  • suzyy721
    Options
    thank you @Verdenal appreciate your advice :) just needed to know that.