How accurate are Fitbits?

Options
Also which would you recommend buying?
Many thanks for reading :)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One its been spot on with my TDEE and I've found it a great motivator to move more and more. I've had mine for 4 years :smile:
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Does not work good on a boat gave me 15,000 steps lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR (which is not the newest model of the Charge). I've used it since July 2015 and have found it to be very accurate. The only time it isn't is when I'm driving -- it tends to record extra steps. Since I only drive 5-6 times a year, it isn't an issue. If I drove regularly, I would probably just take it off and put it back on when I was done.
  • TJnTexas
    TJnTexas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My older Charge HR is accurate. HR is consistent with manual measuring HR, steps are very near accurate (when I count them in my head while walking, they are close), Distance is now very accurate for both walking and running (not that I run a lot - spinal stenosis makes it painful after a little while). But distance is accurate because I went to a high school track, and counted steps for a quarter mile about 8 times and then adjusted my stride until the distance reported matched the actual distance walked. I am 5'6'' and my stride was NOT equal to the default stride for the FitBit.
  • Suzeq66
    Suzeq66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the fit bit zip it has a watch battery and is pretty accurate.
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit surge for two years. It's very accurate and easy to use! I would recommend.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I believe it works most accurately when running, just my personal opinion.
    Other cardio exersises, I'd be wary about the calorie burn from fitbit.

I have the charge HR.
  • scorsar
    scorsar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i guess the question i have is does it matter? I have the Charge HR and it seems like it takes a little while to catch up my heart rate - but once it does, it records it accurately. The next workout i compare it to the previous. If i took my friends tracker with the heart rate band and tried it - i'm sure it would be different.
    But what i mean is - if it counts your steps / heart rate, and gives you a baseline to compare to - does it matter if at the end of the day it's a bit on the high side or the low side? What matters to me is that it motivates me to exercise and i can see a number at the end of the day
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I recently got the charge 2. I love it and am so glad I got it! It's quite accurate for me and is a good motivator. It's constantly telling me to take it for a walk haha.
    I found when I was logging exercises on here without it, it was showing way more calories burned than I actually was. Now that I have more accurate calorie burned info I can plan my calorie intake better and get better weight loss results.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    As far as steps, my Fitbit One is great. I don't really pay any attention to the calories it says I have burned as that number is ridiculously off for me.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR 2. I love it. I think it is fairly accurate. I still eat the same amount of calories as I did before. I don't increase it for the extra steps. I only do if I do some sort of actual work out or long walk. But the calorie burn for walks seems consistent with other methods of tracking it.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge 2 and I find it very inaccurate for the most part. It overestimates my calories by a lot. I tried just eating half of the extra calories that it gave me for a month and I actually gained weight, lol. It is also not very accurate with steps - I get steps from just putting on my clothes in morning. Maybe all fitbits are like that, I don't know as this is the only one I've ever had, but these 100s of extra "steps" add up during the day. Also, the reminder to move notifications work about half the time. I'd personally stay away from the Charge 2 imo.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr. It doesnt seem to log my steps so well. One day i counted for a short bit. 227 steps..... it logged 33
    On a sunday it logs my 8.5k walk as just 1.5 miles
    But it does remind me to keep active i guess
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I had a Flex for a while (which was OK but stopped holding a charge) and I just got a Charge 2 yesterday. FWIW so far I love it. ;) (Definitely a huge step up from the Flex!) It seems pretty accurate so far but I do want to compare it with walking on the track at the Y and adjust strides if necessary. I have long legs so I'm guessing mine may be longer than the default. Off topic, but I have to admit I love the notifications from my phone (texts, incoming calls, calendar reminder) way more than I expected to!