Do you think sleep affects weight loss?

Options
I've always read that getting enough sleep is important when trying to lose weight. I average 5-6 hours of sleep a night and I'm not sure that I'll have any chance of getting additional sleep anytime in the near future. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Less sleep only effects my weight as it makes me snack more

I have a baby who some nights just wants to feed. At 4am on the umpteeth breastfeed if its in my reach its going in my mouth
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It definitely affects hunger hormones. If you're tired, you're also hungry.

But it doesn't magically make you gain weight, you have to eat the food for that. So if you can control your "calories in", you can still succeed. Just do what you can; six hours is better than five.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sleep deprivation can raise stress levels and increase cortisol levels which can impede fat loss in that it jacks around with your metabolism...hunger hormones are also affected. that said, I think how much sleep one actually needs is an individual thing.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I was advised by a physician that lack of sleep can effect your weight in a negative way along with increasing your blood pressure and a lot of other things. I think quality of sleep rather than how many hours a night is more important but the longer you are awake the more likely you are to eat something
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep makes me want to eat all the things looking for that one magical bite that makes the fuzziness go away. Other than that I haven't seen any other effect, but I haven't been sleep-deprived for long periods in a long time, like taking care of a baby, so I can't say if it ever slowed down my weight loss.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It is really obvious to me when im tired as my body craves food all day, it will take any energy from any source it seems. Days im rested im not nearly as hungry.
  • Landoficeandsnow
    Landoficeandsnow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it does not. I get 5 hours of sleep a day. I still managed to lose 60 lbs in about 7 months.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I always feel drunk if I have had too little sleep - as in, I am STARVING and want nothing more than a Mars Bar for breakfast, followed by a family-sized bag of kettle chips and a Lucozade.

ETA: I operate best on 10 hours of sleep, but 'too little' for me is like 6 or less.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yes!

last week for example, I stuck to my calorie goals, worked out roughly the same as the previous week, but my sleep decresed from about 7hrs a night to 5.5 and by the end of the week, my weight was up 3lbs (back on my normal schedule and its back to where it was before)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sleep deprivation did not affect my weight loss at all. Mind you the less sleep I got the more I was breastfeeding so maybe that's why ;)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have less willpower to spend on cooking, making good choices etc.... Still: CICO.

ETA: I think that all of those articles are taking about what happens to people who are NOT tracking their calories. They just make worse choices, from energy drinks to donuts looking for energy, and restaurant/fast food meals rather than homecooked...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I don't get a full five hours of sleep a night my willpower goes out the window.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    If I'm sleep deprived, my workouts are way less intense so I'm sure I'm burning fewer calories. I would say my self control isn't as good either. But I lost weight successfully being constantly sleep deprived with a new baby (my 4th).
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I sleep eight hours, I don't get hungry till mid afternoon.

A few hours' sleep and I'm ravenous from midmorning.

It makes a difference to me as my appetite steps up several gears.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For long term health diet and sleep are your number one and two.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Not only am I hungrier when I don't get 7-8 hrs of sleep I seem to make poorer choices re food and intake.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think more/better sleep helps. Anecdotally, when I sleep long and well, I lose more faster. When I sleep little and like crap, I lose slowly. Maybe it's the stress of sleep deprivation. Who knows for sure. Its also easier for me to make good food choices when I've gotten good sleep.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When I'm sleep deprived, I feel hungrier, I'm more likely to reach for higher-calorie foods to get an energy boost, and my non-exercise movement levels drop way down. (I'm more likely to lie on my couch with my dog than I am to take her for a walk). All of those combined both increase CI and decrease CO for me.