Justifying Shakeology?

Options
I have been using Shakeology for about 4 months and have great results however I just cannot justify the cost (being a family of 5, gotta be smart in the grocery department!) I am curious what others out there use that is a little gentler on the wallet.
Warmly-Tracey

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What benefits do you feel it is providing? That will help people understand what to suggest for alternatives.
  • the_wild37
    the_wild37 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good question JJR! It keeps me full, it's healthy and not full of fake stuff so I feel good about drinking it and it's convenient. I love that I can have breakfast made in under a 2 minutes!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't "use" anything. I just eat food. For breakfast I generally grab a tub of Greek yogurt or some fruit. Breakfast is ready in seconds.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    That's been my thought too...should I just break away from the entire shake kick...it's just easy, portable and I can drink my breakfast on my way to work.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    Thanks psuLemon...what a great reference!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    the_wild37 wrote: »
    That's been my thought too...should I just break away from the entire shake kick...it's just easy, portable and I can drink my breakfast on my way to work.

Depends. If you like the quickness, you can look at other meal replacements or a protein shake (understand it lacks most of the fortified vitamins) or have a protein bar available.

Personally, I have whey, bars and Greek yogurt in my house at all times.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    Mt store sells a powdered whey in the dairy section made by Cabot Cheeses...only 2 ingredients, Whey protein concentrate and soy lecithin.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    the_wild37 wrote: »

I would. One thing you could do is prep your breakfast for the entire week on the weekend, that way all you need to do is heat and eat.

I'm currently prepping a sweet potato hash with chicken, apples, and onions. Since I can eat at work, I just heat it up when I get hungry.

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies with a protein powder. It will be cheaper, taste better, and be healthier overall.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    That's bpotts44...I am searching recipes now!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Agree. I'm sure shakeology has vitamins that are great but I spend less on 2 to 3 weeks of groceries (and I'm talking fresh produce, lean protein, oats, etc.) I believe that if you eat a variety of veggies and fruits, lean protein, good carbs, drink plenty of water and exercise that a person doesn't necessarily need all of the extra fluff. Maybe a really good multivitamin. I drink a protein shake maybe once or twice a week.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use a simple formula works great that I got from Abel James podcast:

1 or 2 doses of each of the following.

1. Green ingredient (1 head of romaine, handful of spinach, etc)
    2. Liquid (water, milk, etc) enough to blend it up
    3. Fruit (berries, banana, apple)
    4. Extras depending on goals (protein powder, chia, flax, nuts, etc)

I usually do the head of romaine, 12 oz of water, 2 cups of blueberries, and 2 scoops of whey.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    This is perfect, thanks again! Definitely makes more financial sense...again...$100 a month for a meal replacement powder...I just can't justify it no matter how hard I try.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    http://www.modwedding.com/2015/05/juicing-recipes-for-detoxing-and-weight-loss/amp/

I'm going to try that. And eat a hard boiled egg later. Mostly because I eat at 4:30am and I'm starving before lunch. So that will get some veggies and fruit in me, then I can eat my breakfast later in the day and not have such a big gap in meals

ETA: And by that I mean a little down the page the green smoothie guides. You can use superfood greens powder instead of kale or spinach or whatever
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Just make a smoothie as bpotts44 suggested - I have them several times a week and always get a ton of protein, fiber, and vitamins for way less than $100/month. I usually do baby greens, 1 cup liquid (varies depending on the flavor profile I am going for but usually unsweetened almond milk or half milk, half water), half frozen banana, 1/2 cup other frozen fruit, ground flax seed and protein powder.
  • the_wild37
    Options
    All great info, thanks ladies!
    Need to master a great chocolate one :)
  • CoolBoyMom6
    CoolBoyMom6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love Shakeology also. Currently not using it. But I do drink a shake every morning also. Very easy to prep and drink on the way to work. I use Thrive shakes. But thinking about going back to Shakeology. It's worth it financially if you use it, not worth it if it sits in her cabinet untouched.
  • Leenizi129
    Leenizi129 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Vega is cheaper and it is plant based and comes in alot of flavors.