Loved ones with bi- polar disorder

Options
Hi MFP community! I know this isn't really fitness related but I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with a close loved one that struggles with bi- polar disorder. I'm failing miserably at helping and dealing with my loved one's illness which has become extremely severe and desperately out of control. Any advice or support would be appreciated more than words can express. Thank you!

Replies

• newlife7654
    newlife7654 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a long hard road...miserable at times but can be full of joy too. After multiple attempts, my loved one ( and I) finally found a little help once he got on medication thru MHMR. It's still a struggle. Many people told me to run away and never look back, you but have to find what you can live with or live without.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you seeking out a therapist for yourself to become educated about mental illness as well as to to process some of your thoughts and emotions living with someone with a mental illness.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder (type 1) and had a difficult 3 year period of instabilty from which I am now recovering; it was hell for my partner and children.

The suggestion made above about psychoeducation and support for yourself may be of use and it's also important to allow yourself respite.

Mental illness affects the whole family unit not just the person afflicted. You need to look after yourself as well.

And loathe as I am to say it, if things are really desperate consider if impatient hospital care or other intervention in clinically indicated for your loved one at this time.
  • pbforsyth
    pbforsyth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I have lived experience of bipolar and know it can be such a turbulent path for the individual and their family and friends. There is hope though and all things change.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    NAMI offers support groups for loved ones of people with mental illness.
    https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-Programs/NAMI-Family-Support-Group
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend and message me. I am going through hell with this very situation right now.
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's a long hard road...miserable at times but can be full of joy too. After multiple attempts, my loved one ( and I) finally found a little help once he got on medication thru MHMR. It's still a struggle. Many people told me to run away and never look back, you but have to find what you can live with or live without.

Thank you for the advice. It's been very miserable. Fighting the urge to run away and never look back every day
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    I would suggest you seeking out a therapist for yourself to become educated about mental illness as well as to to process some of your thoughts and emotions living with someone with a mental illness.

Yes, absolutely. I'm on the hunt right now.
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I have bipolar disorder (type 1) and had a difficult 3 year period of instabilty from which I am now recovering; it was hell for my partner and children.

The suggestion made above about psychoeducation and support for yourself may be of use and it's also important to allow yourself respite.

Mental illness affects the whole family unit not just the person afflicted. You need to look after yourself as well.

And loathe as I am to say it, if things are really desperate consider if impatient hospital care or other intervention in clinically indicated for your loved one at this time.

It seems as though it has come to that point but getting that person to admit they need help is tough.
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    NAMI offers support groups for loved ones of people with mental illness.
    https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-Programs/NAMI-Family-Support-Group

Thank you for the resource!
  • saramelie77
    saramelie77 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good luck. The important thing is to try and protect yourself in the process, to have support for yourself too. I have a bipolar sister and she got so destructive that I had to take my distances. We have not spoken in 5 years. I tried, she refused. So now she's out of my life. Sometimes you have to put your own wellbeing and mental health first. You can only help someone who is willing to help himself.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar and know about 5 other people with it
  • Dar_Line86
    Options
    Good luck. The important thing is to try and protect yourself in the process, to have support for yourself too. I have a bipolar sister and she got so destructive that I had to take my distances. We have not spoken in 5 years. I tried, she refused. So now she's out of my life. Sometimes you have to put your own wellbeing and mental health first. You can only help someone who is willing to help himself.

I think that truth is the hardest thing to accept. When you love someone you want to savethem. It's hard to let that go.