How to track?

Options
tnachelle
tnachelle Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2017 in Getting Started
Hello MFP peeps, I'm currently transitioning from WW. I'm tired of paying the monthly fee. I love MFP, the tool is amazing. My only issue is how do you know which calorie entry is correct? There is normally several different calorie counts for one food item. Of course, my mind tells me to pick the lowest calories. I really want to do this right. Any suggestions?

Replies

• peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I try and use the barcode on the packet as much as possible but if not then i generally go for the one in the middle .
    Its easy to pick the lowest but i found that i was underestimating my cals that way .
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to compare each entry with the food label, or if there is no label, search for the food on the manufacturer's website, or if it's not manufactured, but produce, look it up in USDA's database.

Then of course you weigh out the portion you're actually eating, and log that exact amount, and do that every time.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First I try and find one with a little check mark beside it, they are pretty reliable. If there isn't one of those I will compare the entry to what the package says to make sure it is accurate.
  • imgr8stmom
    imgr8stmom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just moved over from WW Too! I use the scanner as much as possible, but also if you do a search, try using the items with a green wavy thing next to it. I believe this means it's correct - add me !!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    allisonl6 wrote: »
    First I try and find one with a little check mark beside it, they are pretty reliable. If there isn't one of those I will compare the entry to what the package says to make sure it is accurate.

The checkmark (Verified Food by MFP) can often be as off as those that aren't verified. ALWAYS double check the entry against the nutrition information for the item or the USDA database.
  • tnachelle
    tnachelle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think i'll pick the middle number and pray for the best.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    tnachelle wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I think i'll pick the middle number and pray for the best.

Or, you could check the entry against the label and edit it if it's incorrect. Or find a correct one. If it's a food without a label you check against a reputable source (like the USDA info).... Praying won't help you when it comes to tracking calories, unfortunately!