Loose skin

Options
I'm 22 and 330 lbs. I've been on a low carb diet for a week now and have at least an 800 calorie deficit a day. I'm a new mom and am exercising when I get a chance. I've had a lot of illnesses in life and used to weigh well over 400 pounds. My question is, what can I do to ensure I don't have a crap ton of loose skin at the end of my journey? I've been big for a long time and this concerns me greatly.

Replies

• MrsHyde604
    MrsHyde604 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know it's going to happen. I just want to do whatever it takes to make it happen as little as possible.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Being only 22, you have a better chance than most that your skin will rebound well, but it does take time. You will likely lose faster initially, so you may have loose skin as the tightening may not keep pace. Many say it can still tighten for 1 or 2 years after you reach your final weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    There's NOTHING you can do physically to stop it from happening. How it happens is based on genetics, how much you have to lose, and time. If I'm being honest, with that much to lose, unless you're close to 6 feet tall, there's likely going to be a lot of loose skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Look into a collagen/gelatin supplement, internal powder form, not creams.

Great Lakes brand do a good one.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Loose the weight gradually. Make sure you don't loose more than 2 pounds a week. Also they make creams that can help from what I hear you can look into that?? Goodluck though
  • ZanderCasy
    ZanderCasy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just want to say good luck to you. Your story inspires me. Don't ever forget your WHY! Why you are doing this. The WHY is way more important then the results. The why gets you to the gym when you like *kitten*. The why keeps you eating clean when you hit a roadblock in your weight loss. Your Why doesn't care about flabby skin or tight abs your why just cares about you
  • LonsyBoy
    LonsyBoy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I went from 330lbs to 242lbs and have some loose skin on the body, its not a massive deal at all, I feel and look better and skin can always be fixed up later, like eating an icecream sundae and worrying a peanut will get stuck between your teeth :P
  • misstiana
    misstiana Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have personal experience on large weight loss: I did it slow over 7 years. My body doesn't have loose saggy skin. How ever I still do have body fat. I'm trying to loose. Lost of resistance exercising will help you tone a lot of your skin. It has worked for me and improved a lot.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    At 330 pounds, you have time to start now and save for surgery to remove the loose skin. It's not a vanity thing or an admission of failure; it's just being practical, and lots of people who have slimmed down from morbid obesity do it. If you start saving now, then if you get down to a normal BMI and decide you don't need or want the surgery after all, you'll have a nice nest egg for a celebratory vacation or something.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Look into a collagen/gelatin supplement, internal powder form, not creams.

Great Lakes brand do a good one.

(1) This ^^^^ - take 1 serving twice a day. (2) Pair that with exercise (specifically strength training). (3) Pray. (4) According to most plastic surgeon websites that I've read articles about lose skin on, understand that whatever amount of shrinkage or tightening up that your skin may do after you've eliminated a huge amount of weight can take up to 2 - 2.5 YEARS to catch up with your body's weight-loss.