Increasing Competition Lifts

Options
Hey everyone! Just signed up for my first powerlifting competition on July 15th. My current lifts are bench 85 | DL 185 | squat 195 (could probably do 205 but I don't have anyone to spot me at the moment) and I'm 116 lbs. (dropping to 110 lbs. for competition)

I struggle with bench due to lack of upper body strength, and I'm really working on my DL form before increasing weight. My squat is excellent form with good depth and I feel comfortable with the weight that I'm at and with my program to slowly increase it. I really need assistance with upping that DL and bench weight though. Any tips? I want to follow the 5x5 (80% of max) but how often do you increase weight or test PR's?

My goals are bench 105 | DL 250 | squat 250

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Add push ups on your off days. More opportunity to work on chest muscle activation. I really had to work on a activation and form as initially my bench press was very shoulder and arm dominant.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Suggest since this is your first meet, not to cut weight as you are planning. Eat and be strong, being in a surplus will help to start. There is enough going on that I wouldn't toss in loss of strength because weight loss. Go in strong and be successful at whatever weight. The weight shouldn't matter in your first meet, having good lifts is the gage of success.

Not knowing your lifting level, program, number of training days etc...we really can't help you other than make sure you get adequate muscle stimulas, recovery, and intensity in your lifts throughout the week without overtraining.

Personally I would slowly taper off your volume by reducing you 5 reps scheme about 5 weeks out into triples, doubles, and eventually singles by also reducing sets all while upping your intensity.

Increasing weight has to do with your program. Example a novice can increase weight every session, a intermediate might increase once a week or every other on certain lifts. Its dependant on your program and your level and how fast your body can recover adequately.

Testing PR's isn't something I would advice, it takes a lot of energy and makes it hard to recover properly to progress. In other words, save the 1RM for the meet. I have a good range where I'm at by the bar speed as I start dropping my volume.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How good is your bench press technique?
    I highly recommend watching this tutorial - Jennifer Thomson breaks it all down very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XRmd3a8_0
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing up until this point and is it still working?

I would worry a bit less about your numbers and spend more time focusing on the rules of the competition. Once you get your program sorted of course.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Add push ups on your off days. More opportunity to work on chest muscle activation. I really had to work on a activation and form as initially my bench press was very shoulder and arm dominant.

Good call! Doing some now!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Suggest since this is your first meet, not to cut weight as you are planning. Eat and be strong, being in a surplus will help to start. There is enough going on that I wouldn't toss in loss of strength because weight loss. Go in strong and be successful at whatever weight. The weight shouldn't matter in your first meet, having good lifts is the gage of success.

Not knowing your lifting level, program, number of training days etc...we really can't help you other than make sure you get adequate muscle stimulas, recovery, and intensity in your lifts throughout the week without overtraining.

Personally I would slowly taper off your volume by reducing you 5 reps scheme about 5 weeks out into triples, doubles, and eventually singles by also reducing sets all while upping your intensity.

Increasing weight has to do with your program. Example a novice can increase weight every session, a intermediate might increase once a week or every other on certain lifts. Its dependant on your program and your level and how fast your body can recover adequately.

Testing PR's isn't something I would advice, it takes a lot of energy and makes it hard to recover properly to progress. In other words, save the 1RM for the meet. I have a good range where I'm at by the bar speed as I start dropping my volume.

I was kind of questioning the cut - just figured my lifts would be more competitive in the lower weight bracket. I already dropped from 120 this winter to 116 now without much effort and kept my lifts the same, even through an injury, so it's probably pushing it to go any lower. Thank you for all of your advice! It was very helpful and I'm going to utilize it. I'm going to invest in a trainer most likely, just because I would like to have someone to spot me consistently and help with the program that's best for me. And got it for the 1RM. I didn't realize that! I thought everyone tested beforehand and then had a good idea of what they could accomplish the day of the meet.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I highly recommend watching this tutorial - Jennifer Thomson breaks it all down very well.

GREAT video, extremely helpful. Definitely needed that assistance with my form. Bench is my weakest lift by far.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I was kind of questioning the cut - just figured my lifts would be more competitive in the lower weight bracket. I already dropped from 120 this winter to 116 now without much effort and kept my lifts the same, even through an injury, so it's probably pushing it to go any lower. Thank you for all of your advice! It was very helpful and I'm going to utilize it. I'm going to invest in a trainer most likely, just because I would like to have someone to spot me consistently and help with the program that's best for me. And got it for the 1RM. I didn't realize that! I thought everyone tested beforehand and then had a good idea of what they could accomplish the day of the meet.

I would v

I would suggest finding a trainer or coach who has experience programming and prepping for the sport of powerlifting.

You don't need to know your 1RM however it's very likely that your program will have you hitting heavy sets of 1-3 reps when you are about 2-3 weeks out. Using this combined with RPE and/or video of the lifts to assess bar speed will give an idea of your estimated 1RM and you can use this to calculate attempt selections.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do more back work like shrugs bent over rows standing shoulder press use a Thick bar when on all lifts n do arm work too of course deadlifts n squat always keep your protein high lots of vitamin C 5x5 or 5x5,4,3,2,1 or i also like 2setof 12 then 10 8 6 6 n 4 really works too
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Great video!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Yah. Its not that you can't cut. I've witnessed many many first timers stresing about cutting weight and most more than likely losing strength over it.

Unless you think you have a legit chance to place, I wouldn't consider it worth it your first time on platform. Meet is far enough away that you could prepare, though focus should be 9/9 white lights, being the strongest possible, and ultimately having fun. Whatever weight that is for you, even if that means being bumped up a class isn't a fail if you do those three things.