Good lunch and snack ideas for overnight workers.

Options
Natashavila26
Natashavila26 Posts: 1 Member
Hi! Wondering if there are any overnight workers that can help me get an idea what to snack on through the night and good lunch options?

Replies

• River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work anywhere between 7 and 12 hour shifts, ranging from 5 pm to 5 am. I work at Denny's so sometimes it's really hard to eat wisely and not gorge on pancakes. I typically eat a Greek yogurt for breakfast. Right now I enjoy Yoplait Greek 100 flavors. There are a lot of times when I'd pack a sandwich made with lunch meat, olive oil mayo, sandwich thin for bread, laughing cow cheese wedge, some kind of crisps (off the eaten path are a new favorite), and sugar free bread and butter pickles. I'd snack on this throughout the night and it helps a lot. The pickles take away a lot of the chip/crunchy craving.

When I can't pack lunch and I make it to work before they throw away the soup, I'll have either a cup of chicken noodle or vegetable beef to hold me over a while. I'll eat a light sandwich (ham on wheat, light on the mayo) with a cup of fruit a lot of days, or I'll munch cucumbers and hard boiled eggs off the salad bar. If I'm in a time pinch I'll make a salad.
  • caitlinhicken
    caitlinhicken Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband works nights and I typically pack him some nuts or seeds, some dehydrated fruit, a foldover sandwich with laughing cow cheese and lean turkey, and maybe a boiled egg. He doesn't really like veggies, but those are a good snack with a dip like PB2 or hummus. Key is to balance your macros so you aren't lacking. Have a little healthy fats, carbs, and protein.
  • auntsister
    auntsister Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts and commute an hour each way so no time to eat before work. I take Joseph's lavash or pita bread , spinach, tomatoes, thin sliced cheese and ham and dijon mustard. I make a huge wrap with the lavash bread or 2 halves of stuffed pitas. I also take baked kale chips, 100 calorie guacamole packs with fresh veggies, pop chips, baby bel cheese, dill pickles, pickled okra, that way in not tempted by coworkers ordering out. I work my 3 nights together so just take 3 nights worth and leave in break room fridge and my locker. I also have either Halo top ice cream about 2 or 3 in the morning, this is my reward for passing up on the takeout everyone else has.
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Tuna heated up with low fat cheese on toast. Quick and easy. Or maybe low fat yogurt.