Doies Bulking Get Too Much Press?

Options
Would appreciate some thoughts. There is a lot of discussion on forums, articles on line, in magazines, etc on bulking.

Many of the posters on here and many of the experts would suggest a male should not begin a bulk until they are in the 10-12% bf range. Looking around most gyms and even more on the streets, beaches, etc, the number of males in the 10-12% bodyfat range is pretty minimal.

So to the question in the title, is there too much emphasis on bulking given the relatively small population that could potentially benefit?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the concept can be intimidating and viewed as only for serious bodybuilders. I think a lot of people probably don't truly understand what the process involves.

Though in this age of fads maybe that's becoming less so? I'm pretty much the only person in my friend circle into any form of picking up heavy things or even with a serious aesthetic goal so I guess my pool of reference might be smaller than some.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit of a fad right now and likely not really appropriate for the vast majority of the population. Most people would do well in achieving their physique and fitness goals by simply eating well for the most part and training in the weight room. I've had a pretty dramatic change in my physique over the past 4 years or so by doing that...

That said, I look fit and I look like I hit the gym...but I don't have a "bodybuilder" physique. I think to get that kind of a look would require bulking and cutting cycles at some point...but for the vast majority of beginner to intermediates, it's really not necessary IMO.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Would appreciate some thoughts. There is a lot of discussion on forums, articles on line, in magazines, etc on bulking.

Many of the posters on here and many of the experts would suggest a male should not begin a bulk until they are in the 10-12% bf range. Looking around most gyms and even more on the streets, beaches, etc, the number of males in the 10-12% bodyfat range is pretty minimal.

So to the question in the title, is there too much emphasis on bulking given the relatively small population that could potentially benefit?

This stuff is (1) geared toward that small percentage and (2) geared toward those that want to get there so advertisers can make money.

Also, I think this discussion may seem so prolific to you because these are the types of publications you seek/forums you hang out in (as do I). Like Vintage said, most of my friends/family have no idea about all this stuff.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's getting better, but yeah, there are still some people bulking who probably have no business doing so. However, keep in mind that it can be hard to gauge bodyfat just from visual appearance.

For example, no one can even agree on what the max % for abdominal definition at a certain level is, because it varies so much due to differences in bodyfat storage tendencies, development of the musculature, lighting, flexed or not, etc. Hell, I was around 9.5-10% bf at 150, but there wasn't an ab to be seen, because I had never given them a reason to develop. Vascularity is even more of a crapshoot due to genetics.

Using me as an example: I have veins showing in my lower abs, but the muscles still aren't developed enough for the top to really pop much. I am sure that I now have higher bf than I did at 150, but due to my skin in many places having "former fat guy syndrome", paired with strong vascularity (I have veins in my low abs, shoulders, quads, biceps, etc.) so I have yet to find a convenient bodyfat metric that is useful.

Unfortunately, in my state a DEXA scan requires a PCP referral, so that's not happening.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hell, I was as low as 7% and abs were lackluster at best. Old man skin....
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    When I did my first bulk back in 2014, there was very little information on it especially for women. Even now I wouldn't say it is popular, at all. Maybe in some circles but not your everyday fitness magazines (at least the ones that I've seen). Most of the valuable info I have learned came from this forum and links to resources that I found here. Pretty much all of them geared towards men.

Not many people IRL know I am bulking.. I don't even tell them because I get too many questions and comments like "oh you want to look like a bodybuilder, oh be careful you don't get too bulky" blah blah.

Bulking is definitely the right move for me.. is it for everyone, absolutely not.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't see these forums, articles on line, or magazines unless I am looking for them.

No one understands in my family what bulking is except my hubs. My daughters are grown and they look at me funny by the way I eat around them when I am bulking (3 rounds in two years)..

Was I or am I an ideal candidate to bulk or would I be one of those "relatively small percentage of the population" that can benefit? That's up to interpretation. I worked hard to get down to a reasonable leanness to do it and body goals were suited to try.

I don't think there is too much emphasis per se unless you are looking in that direction to further your body composition goals. Should everyone do it? Its up the individual what their ideal physique goals are.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 @Hornsby

Regarding abs and bodyfat % -- I'll be doing a post on this in my facebook group this summer when I lean out more to talk about bodyfat% and abs, mainly for fun but also to illustrate exactly what Gallowmere is saying.

Just for reference, the photo I have in my profile is about 16-18% bodyfat and that's what my torso looks like -- granted this is flexed and in good lighting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would agree it's really overdone these days and being recommended for people with very ordinary physique goals or even stated as the only way by the woefully uninformed. Huge contrast to when I started training (in the 70's).

It now spills over to some people thinking recomp is somehow special or complicated rather than just normal.

There's a lot more emphasis on aesthetics these days, in the old days (don't I sound like a dinosaur?) people mostly trained to get big and/or strong and/or fit rather than big, strong and lean.

The whole thing is getting over-complex IMHO, too much emphasis on the extras (pre/intra/post workouts, silly equipment, bizarre isolation lifts, supplements, cutting/bulking) and not enough on the core of actually lifting up heavy things.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Would agree it's really overdone these days and being recommended for people with very ordinary physique goals or even stated as the only way by the woefully uninformed. Huge contrast to when I started training (in the 70's).

It now spills over to some people thinking recomp is somehow special or complicated rather than just normal.

There's a lot more emphasis on aesthetics these days, in the old days (don't I sound like a dinosaur?) people mostly trained to get big and/or strong and/or fit rather than big, strong and lean.

The whole thing is getting over-complex IMHO, too much emphasis on the extras (pre/intra/post workouts, silly equipment, bizarre isolation lifts, supplements, cutting/bulking) and not enough on the core of actually lifting up heavy things.

Lots of good comments from all.

I also started training in the 70's and agree, making things too hard now. Of course harder to make money off people if the instruction is just pick up heavy things, even if that is what get the results.