Home Gyms

Options
Lavelle1980
Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
Anyone have or wanting to start their home gym? Any pics, recommendations, etc.. Just general topic.

So far, I just have a bunch of dumbbells. Looking to expand.

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

You shouldn't speak ill of your family.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I have one of these with a decline/incline bench and a rogue fitness pull-up bar.

416CzbLWp0L.jpg

there is one of these in the gym too:

true-fitness-m30-treadmill-blueprint.png

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I have one of these with a decline/incline bench and a rogue fitness pull-up bar.

416CzbLWp0L.jpg

I gotta've that! It'll match, awesomely with; my: Total Gym Fit!

izyxbae6a76s.jpg
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Maxtrainer as well as a Total Gym at home.. both are awesome machines!! I'm looking at getting the Bowflex Dumbbells next to add to my collection!!! So far it's helped me drop 90 pounds!!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    this gets a lot of use too:

post-13406-1383213890_thumb.jpg
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Ultimate 2 and a recumbent cycle in my home gym. Love the convenience and do some sort of workout 5 times a week (alternate strength and cardio)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Look on Craigslist for a decent full rack (or Smith), a bench, and weights. That allows free weight and body weight workouts as well as lifting. A decent setup there is running anywhere from $200 to $400 for everything.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I have a gym in my garage that is a power rack, bench, weights, barbell, EZ bar, and some dumbbells.
    This is the rack I have: powerline-ppr200x-power-rack.jpg
    It came with olympic barbell and 245lbs of weights. The rack is nothing fancy, but it does that job well, has adjustable safeties, pull up bar, and it's well over a year old, still in tip-top condition (it's in a garage in Florida and used at least 3 times a week). I got it around Black Friday (over a year ago), got a great deal on it. I get more weights from Craigslist. I'm sure around this time of year you could find a bunch of home gym equipment on Craigslist. It's around the time the NY Resolutioners start selling things.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes been training at my home gym for like 10 years - I rather put the money into my own gym then my boys can use it when they get bigger.
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    I'm thinking of bowflex too, not sure how long it last when it's time to replace the bands.
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    I have a gym in my garage that is a power rack, bench, weights, barbell, EZ bar, and some dumbbells.
    This is the rack I have: powerline-ppr200x-power-rack.jpg
    It came with olympic barbell and 245lbs of weights. The rack is nothing fancy, but it does that job well, has adjustable safeties, pull up bar, and it's well over a year old, still in tip-top condition (it's in a garage in Florida and used at least 3 times a week). I got it around Black Friday (over a year ago), got a great deal on it. I get more weights from Craigslist. I'm sure around this time of year you could find a bunch of home gym equipment on Craigslist. It's around the time the NY Resolutioners start selling things.

That's a good deal, these can be pricey at times. I'll search around for something like this.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I built mine from garage sale finds, Craigslist, Offerup and Letgo. The only thing I splurged on was a Valor BD-7 for my birthday 2 years ago. Currently have several Oly bars and >200 pounds of weights, dumbbells, treadmill, resistance bands (purchased these on Amazon) and battle rope.
  • elsie4560
    elsie4560 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have stairs :)
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    this gets added next month

model-d-black.jpg
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of bowflex too, not sure how long it last when it's time to replace the bands.
    If you decide to buy used, pay attention to the bars. In most used units the bars are in a pretty butterfly pattern. This is bad. The unit is suppose to be stored with the bars straight (they supply a strap for this purpose).
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Half rack or a full rack a must in a home gym if weight training. Get stable mats from Tractor supply for the gym floor. Have fun man!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know how to post pics, but I built a full Gym and Dojo in my home.
    Bowflex Gym.
    Adjustable Dumbells that adjust from 5 lbs to 55 lbs each.
    Associated benches that adjust.
    Nordic Trak stationary bicycle
    Bowflex Elliptical
    Abdominal Trainer

Unfortunately, over the years I tend to gravitate only to the Dumbbells and the Elliptical before I practice Katas.

I am going to give away the Bowflex Gym and the Stationary Bicycle when we move in 3 years.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a Golds Gym bench and squat rack that I got from Walmart for a pretty reasonable price. Also have an Olympic bar and some plates. Does the job and all for a good price.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    diezel67 wrote: »
    Half rack or a full rack a must in a home gym if weight training. Get stable mats from Tractor supply for the gym floor. Have fun man!

I forgot to mention mats! A total must!
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Look on Craigslist for a decent full rack (or Smith), a bench, and weights. That allows free weight and body weight workouts as well as lifting. A decent setup there is running anywhere from $200 to $400 for everything.

i've been looking into this. however, i'm seeing some pretty good tutorials on how to build your own rack. they look simple enough and much cheaper, so i might be going down that road.